Old School Trio: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650
Dec 6, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #151 of 169
"Senns "bass and nothing else""

What a ridiculous statement. 
rolleyes.gif

Some say the HD 650s have no bass, others say all they have is bass, why can't the criticisms be even remotely concise?

The HD 650s have a very reasonable amount of bass, although I usually turn it down a bit because I like less bass than most people. . . 

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #152 of 169
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Some say the HD 650s have no bass, some say they all they have is Bass, why can't the criticisms be even remotely concise?

The HD 650s have a very reasonable amount of bass, although I usually turn it down a bit cause I like less bass than most people. . . 

Agreed. I find their bass beyond perfect.

And the sound is the fullest, best sounding I've ever heard.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #153 of 169
Wow this thread is a wreak. I haven't been a member long but I was a lurker for a bit before that. I don't think I've seen a thread degenerate to this extent here. People are really taking this personally. And the guy "disgusted" by the use of "Old School" in the article title... LOL! Grow a pair princess! There are other things to rage over.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware I just added fuel to the fire... but the guy's disgust at something so benign disgusts me.
angry_face.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #154 of 169
i agree as well. i find the HD650 to have the perfect amount of bass. combined with my HeadRoom amp with the crossfeed on and brightness filter 1, the sound is perfect. exactly what i have always been looking for.

warm, bassy(but a good bass), mids and vocals that are right up front, and just the right amount of treble. a little more sparkle wouldn't hurt, but it's fine.
Quote:

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #155 of 169
Quote:
Wow this thread is a wreak. I haven't been a member long but I was a lurker for a bit before that. I don't think I've seen a thread degenerate to this extent here. People are really taking this personally. And the guy "disgusted" by the use of "Old School" in the article title... LOL! Grow a pair princess! There are other things to rage over.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware I just added fuel to the fire... but the guy's disgust at something so benign disgusts me.
angry_face.gif

"Something so benign" indeed. Yes I overreacted in a way. I was not so much in rage, rather annoyed by the 'serious nonsense'. 

Problem is, if you are so serious about your 4700 words article you should know better. Nonsense is better used in satire and amusing texts rather than a 'to be taken serious 4700 article'. If you have an audience who reads your 'to be taken serious 4700 words article' you should pass on information that is mostly correct, especially since Headfonia is not just any website. Headphone reviews are always subjective so I cannot comment on that aspect of the article.    

Oh yes, you can still stay polite since that is the 'benign' thing to do. Next time refer to me by my alias or ignore me. The 'benign' thing to do is to agree to disagree, Olor1n...

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #156 of 169
Well I'm glad you two love the 5dB increase it brings across most the range till 1khz.  I don't find it acceptable, not to mention the -2/5dB at ~1500 upwards to 10khz.

It doesn't change the fact that empirically it's a hefty tilt towards bass, regardless of my hyperbole.

Quote:
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Some say the HD 650s have no bass, some say they all they have is Bass, why can't the criticisms be even remotely concise?

The HD 650s have a very reasonable amount of bass, although I usually turn it down a bit cause I like less bass than most people. . . 

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #157 of 169

On my amp it only seems like a 2-3 db midbass hump. . . the treble thing you mentioned simply does not exist on my HD 650s. . . 

I've tried much more bassy headphones than the HD 650s like the HJE900s or my HD 485s. Compared to truly bass heavy headphones, the bass really isn't that loud.
An equalizer can solve this "problem" pretty easily anyway. . . 

Quote:
Well I'm glad you two love the 5dB increase it brings across most the range till 1khz.  I don't find it acceptable, not to mention the -2/5dB at ~1500 upwards to 10khz.

It doesn't change the fact that empirically it's a hefty tilt towards bass, regardless of my hyperbole.

Quote:
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #158 of 169

Quote:
That's what I thought I just wanted to be sure.

Quote:
fishski13 said:

it's about intellectual honesty.  sure, i can infer anything i want, but that doesn't make it true.  no, a moderator shouldn't have the right to infer what he/she wants.   

i could care less what people like or dislike, but i feel UE and other mods/administrators step over the line with "activist" behaviors with expressing views on certain products.  obviously UE should be able to express his views, but the fact that he states he's a member first and moderator second is a problem.  he's made some irresponsible comments and has the power to wield.

Being volunteers, the mods are clearly members first, and it is out of kindness and care for this place (and by extention, you, and all members) that they do their moderating work for free.  To say that they shouldn't be able to be a part of head-fi just like everyone else, but have some responsibility to promote products or behave differently than everyone else because they volunteer to help a community that you don't volunteer for, but use and enjoy, is a little absurd IMO.

i never said moderators shouldn't be apart like everyone else.  yes, i expect a little more from from the moderation team that is in charge of shaping the forum - a cut above the rest.  when you're in charge of editing/deleting/locking/banning, i don't think being moderate is a lot to ask for.  like one Admin that bullies and insults members, actively deleting posts that he doesn't agree with, to me, is unacceptable.  i'd like to think that the forum is defined by its members, but i don't believe it to be true.

as far as volunteering goes, well i don't believe it's martyrdom.  your comment would have more sway before the Huddler platform.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #159 of 169
Hi, dont want to start a new thread, and with such a nice company around here i want to ask if its wise to pick senn hd650 + lehmann rhinelander combo? In matters of sound signature - yes, i do love sennh sound.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #160 of 169
I like the idea of owning the "old school trio".  It seems that when the 800s came out, everyone was quick to forget the awesome sound these cans produced.  I did like the senns just before I sold them, (cardas) and really like my current 702s with the cardas.  

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #161 of 169
HD650 FTW!!!!

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #163 of 169
I don't agree with lots in the Headfonia comparison.

For example, (2005) DT880 lacks bass body compared to the (silver-screened driver - if you believe in that) HD650? Really? Has he really done a volume-matched comparison focusing on just the bass? If he has, I bet he'd find it extremely similar - it is just the lesser mids and the more treble that might give the illusion of the DT880 being less bassy. Additionally, the DT880 has bass that possibly extends deeper, so can even sound more 'solid' than the HD650.

Has anyone else found that?

Overall, although I have obviously no proof, I get the feeling that Headfonia often just regurgitates stereotypes without paying close attention.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #164 of 169
Quote:
I don't agree with lots in the Headfonia comparison.

For example, (2005) DT880 lacks bass body compared to the (silver-screened driver - if you believe in that) HD650? Really? Has he really done a volume-matched comparison focusing on just the bass? If he has, I bet he'd find it extremely similar - it is just the lesser mids and the more treble that might give the illusion of the DT880 being less bassy. Additionally, the DT880 has bass that possibly extends deeper, so can even sound more 'solid' than the HD650.

Has anyone else found that?

Overall, although I have obviously no proof, I get the feeling that Headfonia often just regurgitates stereotypes without paying close attention.

Not in my experience and to my ears. HD650 low end always sounds more solid and fuller.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #165 of 169
Quote:
Not in my experience and to my ears. HD650 low end always sounds more solid and fuller.

But how are you meant to compare? Did you use a SPL meter?

I'll show you what happens when I try to compare them;

Using the same amp for both HD650 and DT880, I'll listen to the HD650, then plug in the DT880 and listen to that. The bass sounds quieter on the DT880 - but I realize, actually, the whole sound is quieter because the DT880 needs more power from the amp to reach a given volume. Then I turn up the volume on the DT880 until the bass sounds as loud as I remembered it on the HD650. Then I switch back to the HD650 - I notice the bass is louder, but then again the whole sound is louder because the HD650 are more efficiently driven from the amp. So I turn it down until the bass sounds as loud as the DT880. And I go round in circles. So I can never make a direct comparison.

So I was wondering if you used an SPL meter when comparing? And if you didn't use an SPL - how are you confident that the HD650 has fuller bass than the DT880? I'm not trying to accuse you of anything - just genuinely interested in how one is meant to make a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back