Oh no another newbie looking Headphone advice
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking to buy some decent headphones for home system. I need something that doesn't leak too much sound to annoy my wife watching TV while I listen to music. I am willing to spend up to £500 but may go higher for the right headphones. Initially they will probably be unamped, so need to sound good without an amp. I currently own a pair of ACS T1s and so am looking for something of a similar calibre. I tend to mainly listen to rock and metal, with some acoustic, classical and electronica.
Your suggestions and help is appreciated.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 13
Why dont you try some JH 13 or 16 Pro custom in ear monitors, no one but you will hear them, they dont need to be amped and by all accounts are fabulous. They also handle all genres of music well too.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 13
IEM is the way to go if you dont want to leak any sound and to totally block outside noises
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree, you should probably stick with IEMs if you want isolation.

So my recommendation is to get and Earsonics SM3 and get custom tips or a full custom remold. Check them out.

If you don't want IEMs, you should check out the Grado RS1. The Denon D7000 are also excellent headphones (though I don't know how good they will be unamped. Also check out Ultrasone's offerings (ex. HFI-780).

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for your replies. I dont really want another pair of IEMs as I would rather have a pair of good headphones for home use. Having looked around this site, it seems that a closed pair of headphones would probably be best. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair upto £500 ?
Thanks

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I dont really want another pair of IEMs as I would rather have a pair of good headphones for home use. Having looked around this site, it seems that a closed pair of headphones would probably be best. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair upto £500 ?
Thanks

AFAIK, the only 2 companies that make high-end closed headphones, are Denon and Ultrasone.

In your price range, you should probably get the Denon D2000s and mod them (jMoney Pads, woodied, recable). Then with the leftovers, you can start a "Buy an Amp" Fund.

You could also get the Denon D5000s, which are good, but it wouldn't sound that great without an amp.

In Ultrasone's Camp, you can get one of their top-tier closed headphones (not the Edition 7/8/9). So you can get the HFI-780, Pro 750, Pro 900 and anything lower as well. The best of the bunch is the Pro 900, and is about £420. The Pro 750 is also great, but is more for bass-lovers (and if that is your thing, go for it). The HFI-780 is seems similar to the Pro 750 (I honestly don't know, the only pair I tried was recabled by ALO Audio; which sounded almost as good as the Edition 8).

Keep in mind, these headphones sound much better with amps (though I think Ultrasone will sound better unamped), and will benefit from burn-in.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 13
besides denon and ultrasone, you may also want to research audio technica.
specifially, their woodies, like the new ATH-W1000X, which has been getting great reviews and comments from Head-Fiers.

cheers!

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
besides denon and ultrasone, you may also want to research audio technica.
specifially, their woodies, like the new ATH-W1000X, which has been getting great reviews and comments from Head-Fiers.

cheers!

Yeah, I forgot about Audio-Technica. The ATH-W1000X is probably an excellent headphone, but it seems like it is at the edge of your price range, and would really need an amp.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 13
nah, amp not totally necessary.  it's only 42 ohms can.
and, the price if you have it brokered from japan is as cheap as $540.  don't know how that translates to pounds, but should be within the OP's budget...

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll check them all out.
Just out of curiosity, having never owned Openbacks, I am curious as to whether the Sennheiser HD800 & HD650 plus the others, really leak in a lot of external noise in? Do they leak a lot of sound out?
Thanks

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Yup, they don't block any noise. And by the same token they do leak a fair bit.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 13
I heard someone across the room at CanJam wearing the HD800... I thought someone had turned on a small and incredibly nice stereo system. Open headphones leak, but even with that and their lack of isolation, they typically sound much better than closed cans to me.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 13

Oh no another newbie looking Headphone advice

Oh no !! , a person asking for help from others so they can find a slice of happiness.

I bet if you give some you will get some back and more.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back