Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)
Dec 20, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #137 of 182

Quote:
You know how everyone says the HD650s are open? I don't get this. I can't hear them from 1ft away. I never blast my music.

I've tried listening to my phones around my neck, instead of on my ears.  I was surprised that I could hear them quite well at lower volumes. When they are on though, I don't think the sound travels as well as when they are off my head.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #138 of 182
i guess you listen pretty quietly then.

they are open backed, you can't argue with that. lol

Quote:
You know how everyone says the HD650s are open? I don't get this. I can't hear them from 1ft away. I never blast my music.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #139 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
I listen to metal music primarily, but classical is great stuff.  The musicianship and arrangements are very similar to most of the metal music I listen to.  

Come again?
confused_face(1).gif

Now I know the vocals will not be most people's cup of tea, but if you can't imagine the guitars, bass, and drums being played by an orchestra and how awesome it would sound you don't have much imagination.  This isn't really one of the more impressive bands that i've heard, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.  Here's 2 examples.  Metal, and metal lite.  

I'm sure some of the other metal heads on here could give some better examples because my brain isn't working right now.  

Most metal heads hate avenged sevenfold, but this is a much easier listen for people who don't like heavy music. First 2 minutes in particular would sound great being played by an orchestra.

Probably getting a little off topic now.... 

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #140 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I listen to metal music primarily, but classical is great stuff.  The musicianship and arrangements are very similar to most of the metal music I listen to.  

Come again?
confused_face(1).gif

Now I know the vocals will not be most people's cup of tea, but if you can't imagine the guitars, bass, and drums being played by an orchestra and how awesome it would sound you don't have much imagination.  This isn't really one of the more impressive bands that i've heard, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.  

I think you'll find there's a little more to classical music than what you're describing. It's not a question of awesome sound, but of complexly structured sections--or movements--made up of themes, variations and development. I don't want to sound snobbish, but there is really no connection between heavy metal and classical, neither in the manner of performance nor the desired aim, which in the case of the latter is to elevate mind and spirit, and of the former...well, no comment.

For fairness I should tell you that I have moral and ethical objections to heavy metal, but that's something we don't need to get into here.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #141 of 182
I find things in common with classical and metal. Many metal listeners actually listen to classical as their 2nd favorite genre as well. Metal bands also incorporate classical elements into their music often.

Here's a good example, excuse the quality:

'

I think the metal nicely adds oomph to the original composition.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #142 of 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you'll find there's a little more to classical music than what you're describing. It's not a question of awesome sound, but of complexly structured sections--or movements--made up of themes, variations and development. I don't want to sound snobbish, but there is really no connection between heavy metal and classical, neither in the manner of performance nor the desired aim, which in the case of the latter is to elevate mind and spirit, and of the former...well, no comment.

For fairness I should tell you that I have moral and ethical objections to heavy metal, but that's something we don't need to get into here.  

I hear themes and variations in all of the metal I listen to.  Of course it doesn't sound as complex as a lot of classical music because they have a full symphony orchestra to layer the music in many more ways.  Now a string quartet is much easier to draw comparisons to metal music with.  Which is actually what I enjoy to listen to a lot.  

As for moral and ethical objections to heavy metal I find that kind of insulting considering the fact that 95% of heavy metal music has absolutely nothing to do with satan, or god either for that matter.  People just automatically assume that metal music is evil therefore it can't be listened to. There are metal bands for every religious sect in existence if you look for them.  It's just a style of sound, and not automatically evil.

This illustrates my point much better than any amount of typing I could do.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #143 of 182
We have totally hijacked this thread ha

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #144 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
What does your setup consist of and what are you listening to?

I really would like to demo these things. My local audio guy only has the 600's on hand I think. Or one of the 500 series...but I know he doesn't have the 650. Hopefully he'll get more in.

It's just an E7/E9 USB'd from my iMac to the E9.

The thought that there are cans BETTER than this blows my mind.  Just sayin'....

I plan for the HD650 to be my last headphone until I get really rich or something.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #145 of 182

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What does your setup consist of and what are you listening to?

I really would like to demo these things. My local audio guy only has the 600's on hand I think. Or one of the 500 series...but I know he doesn't have the 650. Hopefully he'll get more in.

It's just an E7/E9 USB'd from my iMac to the E9.

The thought that there are cans BETTER than this blows my mind.  Just sayin'....

I plan for the HD650 to be my last headphone until I get really rich or something.

Same. . . hopefully I get filthy rich so I can try some of them $1000 headphones!

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #146 of 182
My next headphone is definately going to be either the hd650 of the DT880.  The hd650 would probably be better for my musical and sonic tastes, but the dt880 gets better praise for gaming purposes.  Not sure which I should go with based off those 2 criteria.  Anyone use the hd650 for gaming?  

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #147 of 182

Quote:
My next headphone is definately going to be either the hd650 of the DT880.  The hd650 would probably be better for my musical and sonic tastes, but the dt880 gets better praise for gaming purposes.  Not sure which I should go with based off those 2 criteria.  Anyone use the hd650 for gaming?  

I do sometimes. I should think any headphone with a good soundstage would be good for gaming.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #148 of 182

Quote:

When I got good headphones, my interests turned away from FPS gaming. Interesting. 

I play it sometimes now, but honestly, it doesn't make much of a difference. Good reflexes conquer, and I constantly scan, so it helps just to have a sound cue in the general direction.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #150 of 182

Quote:

lol...its not necessary, sometimes you can find good deals...and if your budget is low, look on the F/s forum.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back