Oh, look, it's another price-range-recommendation-thread.
Mar 22, 2011 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, so let's get down to it. I searched around here on Head-Fi for IEMs around $300. I'm looking at Shure SE425s, 530s (or other Shures, not familiar with their line-up TBH), IE8s, TF10s, or some Westone 3s. I just recently bought some MTPC and after a few days the left driver died, so to speak. I tried different tips, sources, insertion techniques, etc. but the left side was always weaker in terms of detail and bass extension/presence. I was pretty PO'd and I don't wish to get new ones if that's how Monster treats their "high-end" products. Not to mention I didn't like the air-tight seal of the housing that, most of the time, created a "vacuum" and made my ears feel plugged which disabled the driver from moving because of the pressure put upon them. Note, I have not had this problem with other IEMs.

Now, part of the reason I bought the coppers is the lifetime warranty, since $300 for me is not simply a drop in the bucket. So, I wish to find IEMs that have either (a) replaceable cables or (b) lifetime or longer warranty. I listen to mostly everything, but perhaps a little more Electronic and Hip-Hop than anything else, so decent bass response would be nice, just so that they're not too bloated or anemic. I would be using them through the HO of my iPod, (I have an E7 but I don't like to use everyday for the sake of portability).

TL;DR:
-Need IEMs in $300 range
-Need to have replaceable cable or lifetime/generous warranty
-I listen to Electronic/Hip-Hop so bass cannot be anemic nor do I want bloated.
Thanks in advanced
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Ortofon e-Q5 comes with Lifetime warranty through  MusicaAcoustics.com
Dimitri is highly recommended seller as well as the Ortos e-Q5. Very solid made in Japan IEMs.
there are several reviews to dig into...

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 5
^ ^ I'll look into some EQ5/7s. The over the ear design of the TF10s really intrigue me (not that other IEMs couldn't be worn that way). Any thoughts on those?

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 5
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0019RBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300936289&sr=1-1

On amazon the TF10s are only $191. That seems almost too good to be true. The fact that I could save money would be another plus. Still, how do they stand up to, say, some Westone 3s?

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 5
MTPC comes with three bags of tips each made with different materials. The foam ones do not create a vacuum feeling. If even the foam ones are too tight you are not using the right size.

$191 are way too much for a pair of brand new TF10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back