Official X5 1st gen beta firmware thread--version 2.51: 8 new updates
Jan 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #391 of 437
I'd suggest creating a playlist of your favourites. That way you won't lose it.

Looks like a good idea! How do I do that though. Can I just press the "Quick Access" upper-left button while playing a song, and then add it to a playlist or I have to go through a complicated sequence of scripting manualy through a notepad file on the computer then transfer that file somewhere on my SD card to the X5?? O_o

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #392 of 437
  Looks like a good idea! How do I do that though. Can I just press the "Quick Access" upper-left button while playing a song, and then add it to a playlist or I have to go through a complicated sequence of scripting manualy through a notepad file on the computer then transfer that file somewhere on my SD card to the X5?? O_o

Do these steps as mentioned by Joe Bloggs

Instructions for generating playlists for use on the X5 from the computer:
1. As mentioned before, mount the SD card on your PC (e.g. via the X5's storage mode) and import the songs you want playlisted from the SD card to a new list on your player of choice.
2. Export the playlist to an M3U8 file ON YOUR COMPUTER (e.g. your desktop), not the SD card. This will force the generated playlist to contain full absolute paths for each song as well as a drive letter reference.
3. Open the M3U8 file in a text editor.
4. If an "#EXTM3U" line is not seen at the top of the file, add it. (without the quotes)
5. Replace all drive letter references (say, "X:") with "TF1:" if the card is to be placed in X5's slot 1, or "TF2:" if in slot 2. (this can be done using a "replace all" action on your text editor)
6. Save the modified file anywhere you like on the card (anywhere where you think it will be easy to find the playlist, e.g. in the root directory or in the same directory where most of the songs themselves are found. Since absolute paths are used the X5 obviously doesn't care where you put them)

from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/724013/fiio-x5-beta-firmware-2-03-download-and-discussion-one-word-playlists

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #393 of 437
  ...I highly doubt they will ever be able to fix the annoying 15 seconds freeze at the beginning of each songs, if you have way over 5800 songs on the player.

Firmware v2.4 ------> www.fiio.net/en/story/242

There might be a misunderstanding. There was a 5800 object limit in the database causing only that many songs to be viewable in "all songs". 

I don't see a misunderstanding. PanzerIV clearly states he/she has a freeze if more than 5800 songs. I have 12000+ and no freezes.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #394 of 437

I don't see a misunderstanding. PanzerIV clearly states he/she has a freeze if more than 5800 songs. I have 12000+ and no freezes.

Hmm, then I guess the reason why the 15 seconds freeze happens in Library Mode is because the Fiio X5 act like if all these files would be in the same folder? Hmm actualy it might not be the cause and it would be easy to test. Tyke666, since you have over 12K songs you could try the following for me. If you usualy use the X5 through "Directory  Mode", it means that all your songs on the TF cards are inside several directories... well if you update the media library, does it still find every single files or they need to be all inside the root directory in order to work?

I want you to try this test please as it would confirm if the problem is having a Library of about 10K+ songs or if the problem isn't related at all with the Library, but the fact of having EVERY songs at the root of the directory rather than spread around in several directories. There's more chance that it is the second option as you can replicate some kind of similar bug in Windows. Even if I have one of the best computer around, when I get into my pr0n directory which have 16.5K pictures, I can open instantanly any file through "Windows Live Photo Gallery" but then if I press the arrows to browse around, nothing happens for 10 seconds, just like if it would try to "cache" the whole 16K files from the same directory anytime I'd open a single picture. The X5 appears to do the same thing when reading a song as even if inside the Library there's only a few songs given on an Artist>Album, it is still inside the same directory with alllll other 15K mp3, therefore the music playing instantanly but the buttons freezing for 15 seconds?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Playlist question:

- Joe Bloggs said on the thread about the v2.4 firmware, that is "Each entry of the M3U playlist should not reference a drive letter (relative paths) or refer to the two card slots as TF1: and TF2: (less preferred, as this would cause the playlist to only work with the card inserted into a particular slot on the X5)" so it is very unclear to me what I have to do now as previously he suggested to replace the drive letter through Notepad, by either TF1 or TF2 but now he says not to do it anymore??? Also what about if I put the playlist on the TF1's root directory but that half of the songs from my playlist are actualy stored on the TF2? The way it goes right now is that I have something like all my MP3 from A to M on my TF1 then all the N to Z on my TF2.
www.head-fi.org/t/748892/fiio-x5-firmware-2-4-download-and-discussion

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #395 of 437
  Hmm, then I guess the reason why the 15 seconds freeze happens in Library Mode is because the Fiio X5 act like if all these files would be in the same folder? Hmm actualy it might not be the cause and it would be easy to test. Tyke666, since you have over 12K songs you could try the following for me. If you usualy use the X5 through "Directory  Mode", it means that all your songs on the TF cards are inside several directories... well if you update the media library, does it still find every single files or they need to be all inside the root directory in order to work?

I wasn't sure what you wanted me to test but the following is true of my setup:
1) As far as I can tell without scrolling through every item, all the songs are present in the "All Songs" category after a Media library update.
2) I get no delay when selecting any of the songs randomly within the All Songs category.
3) I get no delay when playing songs via shuffle.
4) I get no delay randomly scrolling to items in the Directory view and playing them

In fact I have tried several ways to change to random tracks quickly but they always play just about instantly - less than 0.25 seconds delay I would say.
Maybe its my setup that suits the device. Here it is in case you are interested:

1) I have 2 x 128 GB Cards, both Kingston (class 10).
2) Card 1 has high level folders "Various", "Numeric", "A", "B".... "L". Card 2 has "M", "N"... "Z"
3) Within each high level folder is another folder for each artist.
4) Within each artist folder is a separate folder for each album in the format YYYY-name, where YYYY is the year of release so I see them listed in release order.
5) Within the album folder are the tracks, beginning with the number then the name for correct sequencing. There are no other spurious folders. I do not store art, cue sheets etc etc. Albums are always split into their tracks rather than one large file/cuesheet.

Some other points to mention:
The only tags I use are: Track Name, Album Name, Artist Name, Comment (always blanked), Date, Track Number, Genre and Picture. Sometimes I add Album Artist if the album is a compilation and this is invariably set to "Various Artists". The cover art image is on every track and kept to around 300x300 pixels.
I only use flac, mp3 and m4a format. Gradually replacing all the m4a and lower mp3 formats with mp3 320 CBR ( I have done many tests and cannot audibly distinguish between CBR 320 and lossless).

I hope that is something like what you wanted but let me know if I have missed the point along the way...

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #396 of 437

1) I have 2 x 128 GB Cards, both Kingston (class 10).
2) Card 1 has high level folders "Various", "Numeric", "A", "B".... "L". Card 2 has "M", "N"... "Z"
3) Within each high level folder is another folder for each artist.
4) Within each artist folder is a separate folder for each album in the format YYYY-name, where YYYY is the year of release so I see them listed in release order.
5) Within the album folder are the tracks, beginning with the number then the name for correct sequencing. There are no other spurious folders. I do not store art, cue sheets etc etc. Albums are always split into their tracks rather than one large file/cuesheet.

I only use flac, mp3 and m4a format. Gradually replacing all the m4a and lower mp3 formats with mp3 320 CBR ( I have done many tests and cannot audibly distinguish between CBR 320 and lossless).

Thanks a lot for your input. That confirms now what I thought. You must have many folders like you do in order to avoid the annoying 15 seconds freeze when selecting any songs, as it will automaticly always do that if you put too many files in ONE single folder, like I do with my 15K mp3 in the root directory splitted on 2 SD cards which are even rated faster than yours so it is definitely not a card issue too.

Me too whenever I try to compare side by side a Flac file with a 320Kbps MP3, I really cannot tell the difference at all, even though I have a very high-end sound setup, and even though the program (TT Dynamic Range Meter 1.1) shows a difference in its result. I even always re-encode my CBR 320 mp3 to VBR 0.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #399 of 437
@PanzerIV: I'd guess @Tyke666 is just organized - not necessarily trying to avoid a delay. I organize my files very similar (multiple folders) because that's my natural inclination - never encountered the "freeze" you're talking about and the thought of avoiding it never crossed my mind.

similar situation here too. 
genere -> artist - > album. this is how my tree looks like. works like a charm, much easier to fiind what i need, much cleaner this way, never had a problem.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #401 of 437
Playlist question:

- Joe Bloggs said on the thread about the v2.4 firmware, that is "Each entry of the M3U playlist should not reference a drive letter (relative paths) or refer to the two card slots as TF1: and TF2: (less preferred, as this would cause the playlist to only work with the card inserted into a particular slot on the X5)" so it is very unclear to me what I have to do now as previously he suggested to replace the drive letter through Notepad, by either TF1 or TF2 but now he says not to do it anymore??? Also what about if I put the playlist on the TF1's root directory but that half of the songs from my playlist are actualy stored on the TF2? The way it goes right now is that I have something like all my MP3 from A to M on my TF1 then all the N to Z on my TF2.
www.head-fi.org/t/748892/fiio-x5-firmware-2-4-download-and-discussion

In your particular use case you should keep doing what you've been doing. :)

My guide was written with the assumption that people would prefer the ability to generate playlists directly from foobar without editing, and the ability to swap cards at will (in which case you should keep each playlist referring only to songs within its own card).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #403 of 437
2015-10-29
Beta firmware version 2.51beta for the X5 is now available!
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fvij0npsty6rfj/X5-FW2.51Beta.zip?dl=0
After downloading the update, please unpack (unZIP) the package and read the update instructions contained within.

Please note that all firmware posted in this thread are beta firmware--please post in this dedicated thread if you have any issues with these versions, and if you encounter serious problems, consider flashing back to a stable release.

Stable firmware can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/762128/official-fiio-x5-1st-gen-stable-firmware-thread

The following changes and improvements were made to firmware version 2.51beta compared to FW2.5:
1. Enabled gapless playback of single music files split by CUE sheets
2. Fixed issue where the player may play through folders incorrectly
3. Fixed issue where the genre tag of AAC files (.m4a) was read incorrectly
4. Fixed issue where blanks spaces in front of the album name of a song caused the genre name to be read incorrectly
5. Fixed issue where the player may not be able to load the cover info for certain MP3 files
6. Improved the sensitivity and consistency of the scroll wheel response.
7. Fixed issue where some CUE sheets could not be parsed
8. Various other bug fixes in line with those made for the X5 2nd gen.

Looking forward to your feedback :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back