Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Oct 8, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #797 of 921
Three things and I'll be completely happy -

1. Restore album art to how it was in the original firmware

2. Correct genre tagging for .m4a files

3. Gapless playback on 24/192 FLAC files

Even if these aren't rectified, I still love my X3, two years now and going strong.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #799 of 921
Three things and I'll be completely happy -

1. Restore album art to how it was in the original firmware

2. Correct genre tagging for .m4a files

3. Gapless playback on 24/192 FLAC files

Even if these aren't rectified, I still love my X3, two years now and going strong.

I agree with 1, not that I have much artwork but it is a bit silly the fact that it is cropped at the edges.

2, I have no experience with them so I don't know about the problem.

3, I have 1 double album of 24bit flacs. Many of the tracks join together and the tracks that do, join flawlessly. Not a single pop or clicking sound in the process. It is simply perfect gapless playback (for me). I'm not sure what your problem is.

With mp3s there is a tiny pop sound as it changes track but I would still say it is gapless.
Actually, proper gapless that actually works seamlessly would be nice. iPods manage it.

Could you describe what the issue with gapless you are having is? Yes, I get very quiet clicking noises between tracks that join together at times but never any gaps. What I think of as non-gapless playback is when 2 tracks are supposed to join together and they have a gap of up to 2 seconds between them. That seems to be what some car stereos do even though the tracks are meant to join together. The X3 never has that problem and is always gapless when it is supposed to be.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #800 of 921
Another thing I would like sorting out is being able to use the DAC with Ubuntu 14.04 and Pulseaudio Volume Control again. With every other firmware, the DAC worked fine with this version of Ubuntu and Pulseaudio. Now, as soon as I change the audio output on my PC to USB for the X3, it become completely unresponsive. I have seen several people comment on this. If I go back to firmware 3.3, this works fine. Since it worked before and since the X3 is meant to be a DAC as well as a music player, this is quite an important thing to get sorted.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #801 of 921
Could you describe what the issue with gapless you are having is? Yes, I get very quiet clicking noises between tracks that join together at times but never any gaps. What I think of as non-gapless playback is when 2 tracks are supposed to join together and they have a gap of up to 2 seconds between them. That seems to be what some car stereos do even though the tracks are meant to join together. The X3 never has that problem and is always gapless when it is supposed to be.

You hear the transition from one track to the next. For instance, The Wall' by Pink Floyd relies on smooth transitions from one track to the next, which Fiios don't do as well as the IPods.

I get a very small gap when it changes which seems to be a different length, depending on the format.

So instead of say getting one long 'drone' when the tracks change ....

On the IPod, I get .... ' drone .................................' And track two has started.
On the Fiios, I get ....' Dro ........... ......one' when track two has started in the gap between the dots!! :wink:

It's not a biggie, but not as smooth a transition.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #802 of 921
Actually, proper gapless that actually works seamlessly would be nice. iPods manage it.

So do sony walkmans that play FLAC, flawless gapless, i have two of my favorie albums that must be played gapless (Dietrich Buxtehude Harpsichord works vol. 1 Disc 1 - Ton Koopman Challenge records early 2000's and Golberg Variations - Pierre Hantaï  1993 recording on a Copy of a Mietke Cembalo)

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #803 of 921
You hear the transition from one track to the next. For instance, The Wall' by Pink Floyd relies on smooth transitions from one track to the next, which Fiios don't do as well as the IPods.

I get a very small gap when it changes which seems to be a different length, depending on the format.

So instead of say getting one long 'drone' when the tracks change ....

On the IPod, I get .... ' drone .................................' And track two has started.
On the Fiios, I get ....' Dro ........... ......one' when track two has started in the gap between the dots!!
wink.gif

It's not a biggie, but not as smooth a transition.

The Fiios are tempermental when it comes to gapless. I've had the same album play flawlessly one time, and then a tiny gap (like you described) the next. Personally, not much of an issue, but I can understand why some folks have issues with it. Of course there is always a work around… if you really want gapless play, use cue and 1 large flac. Tried it once, seemed to work fine

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #804 of 921
Yes, that is the answer,but bought music is a pain. If you're in the middle of a Mahler symphony, it's quite nasty. I don't think it is consistent either, but my guess is that the last update won't fix it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #805 of 921
Right, never did consider digital downloads. Ripping to a single flac is easy enough - I think most rippers will do it - , but for DD, you'd have to fire up Audacity or some other music editor, splice the files together, build a cuesheet. Could be done, but that reeks of effort.

Also agree that it probably won't be fixed either

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #807 of 921
I sent James an email asking when a new firmware update will be available. He replied back and said it will probably be this week. He also stated that it will be based on the last firmware update.

I was really hoping for ReplayGain, but now I'm not getting my hopes up. Although, he didn't go into detail about the update.
I just thought I would share this news with everbody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back