Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Oct 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #829 of 921
My $0.02 is this -

I loved the unit when I purchased it, still do. But there are some serious issues that have never been rectified - cropped album art (which was sized properly in the initial firmware), incorrect genre tagging for AAC and ALAC files, gapless problems on larger files, etc. I'm not trying to sound picayune, but these were features FiiO advertised that the X3 would perform. None of these work properly, and that's not right. I really don't mean to sound harsh, but if this is going to be the last firmware for the original X3 without further support, then I'm sorry, FiiO, I will no longer be purchasing your products.
Again, I am not asking for new features to be implemented, I just want what was advertised to work properly. And please don't tell me this is a small company, and they're doing the best they can. If you sell a product with advertised features, and said features do not work properly, then perhaps you should not be selling them to the market at large. I paid my money with certain things expected, and have been very patient, but two years on and still having issues is unacceptable, while they continue to roll out new products.
In short, not very good business practice. I know there are quite a few younger people on this forum that seem to put up with it and hope for the best, but as for me, I need to see this done right. I'm all ears (no pun intended), FiiO...what is your response?

Thanks,
Christian

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #831 of 921
@TheGiantHogweed

I guess there are just too many people at the moment, trying to access the site and download the file.
At home, I have only 6029 kBit/s downstream at the moment, and the download went quite quickly (downloaded it just when the link popped up in this thread).
I know that the last FW took very long to download and I had to restart twice as the download was incomplete (couldn't open folder and the system showed a much smaller file). It seemed as FiiO's servers were not able to handle the amount of parallel downloads.

Just retry some time later, it should work then.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #832 of 921
  @TheGiantHogweed

I guess there are just too many people at the moment, trying to access the site and download the file.
At home, I have only 6029 kBit/s downstream at the moment, and the download went quite quickly (downloaded it just when the link popped up in this thread).
I know that the last FW took very long to download and I had to restart twice as the download was incomplete (couldn't open folder and the system showed a much smaller file). It seemed as FiiO's servers were not able to handle the amount of parallel downloads.

Just retry some time later, it should work then.

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dDqGXSd
At long last, the page has loaded. However, none of the translations seem to relate to a download. I'm not very good at this
biggrin.gif

I don't know if anyone can help me here but this appears to be the only link in the download box:

http://help.baidu.com/pan/add

It doesn't seem to be related at all from the translations I got.

The only other links at the bottom of the page translate to this:
Mobile open platform | Service Agreement | Rights Policy | Updated version
| Help | Feedback

I find it hard to understand how people managed with this!

There was some more text but that was nothing to do with the downlaod when I translated it.

Very tricky.
I would appreciate it is anyone could help out. I am clearly not good with these download pages.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #833 of 921
On my side (Google Chrome + translation to German), the page could be translated quite well and the "Download" button was visible.

However, here you go (the one I marked yellow):

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #834 of 921
  On my side (Google Chrome + translation to German), the page could be translated quite well and the "Download" button was visible.

However, here you go (the one I marked yellow):

Interesting, my page doesn't load at all on Crome. However on firefox, after just a few MINUTES of loading, the page wasn't loading any more, so I assumed it was there. What you have on that image is way more than what I can see. It looks quite simple from your screenshot.

Here is mine if it makes any sense:

It doesn't look at all similar.
This is on Firefox.

Maybe is is because in the UK and different locations have better access. Still seems strange though.

I will maybe try another day to get this latest firmware. I think I give up for now.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #835 of 921

Since nothing was done in this so awaited FW, I reverted back to 3.34b

Thanks FiiO for a job well done. You are the FW gurus!
wink_face.gif

Weather you use the quick menu or not, I don't know but one major flaw has been solved there. On 3.34, when you exit the quick menu, a lot of the time it sends you to a random position on the track you are listening to, sends you to the start of a different random track but still says it it playing the same track you were on and several other very unusual things.
Now that never happens. I too think the sound has changed a bit but I feel I might be imagining it as it did read your posts first before hearing it
biggrin.gif

However, I think I prefer the sound. The bass does seem to be less noticeable but it sounds a little bit more detailed in the treble to me.

See I think I am just saying what others have said. Maybe I am only hearing this because of what I have read. I sometimes have wondered if firmwares actually make very obvious differences to the sound.

I think 3.3 to 3.34b was a very noticeable difference. Bigger than the latest 2.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #836 of 921
I have just installed the update on my X3 gen 1.  I have not used the headphone output just the line out.  Nor have I attempted an AB test vs 3.34b.

Having said that, through the line out, I think  it sounds quite good.  In fact, unless I run into glitches, I may keep the unit in the automobile as the primary playback device.

I like the idea that the usb power input is right next to the line out jack; that works well in the car. 

I just recently purchased a used Meridian sound system that happened to have a used automobile wrapped around it. I am playing the stereo in glorious "flat" mode; no EQ at all and with the X3 Gen 1 and the new software I am experiencing goodness so far.

Is it any better than 3.34b ?  I do not know but so far the experience is pleasing.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #837 of 921

Weather you use the quick menu or not, I don't know but one major flaw has been solved there. On 3.34, when you exit the quick menu, a lot of the time it sends you to a random position on the track you are listening to, sends you to the start of a different random track but still says it it playing the same track you were on and several other very unusual things.
Now that never happens. I too think the sound has changed a bit but I feel I might be imagining it as it did read your posts first before hearing it
biggrin.gif

However, I think I prefer the sound. The bass does seem to be less noticeable but it sounds a little bit more detailed in the treble to me.

See I think I am just saying what others have said. Maybe I am only hearing this because of what I have read. I sometimes have wondered if firmwares actually make very obvious differences to the sound.

I think 3.3 to 3.34b was a very noticeable difference. Bigger than the latest 2.

After a second listen, this time without the heart, no expectations, I too prefer FW3.4 SQ. Highs are cleaner, more pronounced and bass is tighter. 3.34b bass was a bit boomy, thats why you feel its more pronounced. Now it is cleaner and more controlled. Quantity wise the difference is minimal. The most important is: dynamics are better now and everything's cleaner and clearer. I even think this affects instrument separation. And since you found that annoying issue fixed, I'll definitely stay with it.

Now need the other guy's theme ASAP, as this FiiO theme is... well... not for me.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #840 of 921
I'm hoping that since Fiio has not made an official announcement here, or on their English site that this might not be the final version. I do know that the fw for one of the new players is supposed to have the genre problem fixed - I would think that we'd get that too.

Anyways for what it's worth, here's a preliminary release of my themes. I haven't tested it much, so there could be some issues
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nahwo9wkhhe5yj7/x3_334.zip?dl=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back