Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Sep 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #781 of 921
  Still no news about firmware.
Im tempted to get a new player.
Im not happy with the controls, it takes forever to search for artist by pressing up or down.
:frowning2:

A firmware can hardly magic the buttons into a touchscreen. I can't think of a way of making it much faster that they could add to a new firmware. I think that when you press and hold the speed does increase a bit when scrolling through music. This could well be annoying to set up but if you want to make finding your artists quicker and easier, you could try what I have done.
Create folders:
A - H
I - Q
R - Z

Depending on how much you have, this makes it much easier to find an artist right in the middle. I have over 150 artists so this helps a lot. It will probably only be helpful if you always use the browse files option on the X3. As I am getting more and more music, I may have to create 4 folders. In that case, I would do the same as I had before but with the appropriate letters.

This is the best firmware yet though. But it could still do with another firmware update. Maybe try e-mailing FiiO and asking. I am tempted to do this myself. Maybe the more people ask, they might give us another one! It was definitely said that there will be another firmware after this one but that was quite some time ago. It will be very disappointing if this firmware never gets released.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #782 of 921
@TheGiantHogweed

So, I poked around a bit and found that the playlists do exist in the internal memory. But, for some reason Fiio has chosen to make them hidden system files (had to change folder view prefs to even see them). According to Windows, they are m3u files, and can be opened in a text editor, but I can't find a way to unhide them. This would be why the browser doesn't find any files.
Hope this answers your questions (although you're probably still wondering why
wink.gif
)

Cheers

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #783 of 921
My sense of the last communication from joe b is that the next firmware for the original x3 may never happen. Seems they are having trouble finding talent to work with what seems to be machine or assembly code on this unit. Did anybody read that differently?

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #784 of 921
I gathered that it'll probably happen, but don't hold our breath. They are still releasing (albeit slowly) updates for the newer players, so eventually some of the improvements should find their way to us. At least I hope so, I've been waiting for that m4a fix.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #785 of 921
I gathered that it'll probably happen, but don't hold our breath. They are still releasing (albeit slowly) updates for the newer players, so eventually some of the improvements should find their way to us. At least I hope so, I've been waiting for that m4a fix.

It was said that all the X players so far (excluding the upcoming X7) share a lot of common codebase, so I do hope and think this will happen eventually. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 27, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #786 of 921
Hi.. So the problems I have our as follows. Some songs skip. Some albums such as greatest hits don't appear in one folder but rather the artists might be listed 2 are 3 times in the menu. Some artists are not listed in the artist menu. You have to go looking in the album section. The last player I had was a creative zen x bought in 2009 . Where there were none of these issues. Any suggestions?

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #787 of 921
I doubt that this issue will be fixed as the library sorts by "artist" tags instead of "album artist", wherefore those issues appear. I suggested to add a sorting by "album artist" function several times, along with other users, but nothing has happened yet.

My advice: create a good folder structure and use the X3 in folder browse mode. That's how I do it now and I'm happy.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #789 of 921
If the units have a common code base why is it that the original x3 seems to have more of a mid bass boost (also known as warmth) compared with the x3 gen 2 which sound much flatter? I like both but do favor the newer generation sound signature.

Different parts, different DAC, different AMP, different implementation, ...

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #792 of 921
I think that there will be one minor upgrade in the future for the X3 and that was it. after that I suppose it's officially discontinued. same for the X5.
it's been nearly a year since the last stable upgrade, and looking at all the new line up fiio put out recently, it would surprise me if they'd keep on working on the firmware of the first gen x3/5

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #794 of 921
Hi.. So the problems I have our as follows. Some songs skip. Some albums such as greatest hits don't appear in one folder but rather the artists might be listed 2 are 3 times in the menu. Some artists are not listed in the artist menu. You have to go looking in the album section. The last player I had was a creative zen x bought in 2009 . Where there were none of these issues. Any suggestions?

See my post on the previous page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back