Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #662 of 921
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #663 of 921

About the E17, the X3 has pretty much exactly the same amplifier in it. It would be like strapping an X3 to an X3 and just using the amplifier of that one if that was possible. The E17 and X3 shouldn't sound any different at all really. It will just be the X3's line out that will be making a difference in volume.

I really wish e17 and X3 would sound equal - will be much more convenient than this bulky brick and 2 devices charging.
mad.gif

But the difference is very evident, and I`m not sensitive in these things, never hear variations between firmwares or burned-in headphones vs. brand new.

But technically you´re right, both use WM8740 and AD8397 ...except the additional AD8692 stated in the specs of e17 (headphone -amp section)
Whathsoever, difference is day and night, no matter if connected via spdif or aux....

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #664 of 921
  I really wish e17 and X3 would sound equal - will be much more convenient than this bulky brick and 2 devices charging.
mad.gif

But the difference is very evident, and I`m not sensitive in these things, never hear variations between firmwares or burned-in headphones vs. brand new.

But technically you´re right, both use WM8740 and AD8397 ...except the additional AD8692 stated in the specs of e17 (headphone -amp section)
Whathsoever, difference is day and night, no matter if connected via spdif or aux....

The X3 also has the AD8692, which is not on the headphone signal path. The AD8692 is the Lineout amplifier. Just like in the E17 (as you say).
If you get differences on the SPDIF, then I will call your bluff and say it's all in your head. You hear differences because you have 2 options, therefore your brain creates differences. I tried once to see if there is a difference between a DSD file of an Alan Parsons song and the FLAC version I had. When I was seeing which song played on the X3, I could swear the DSD song was way better. After shuffling the songs and while not looking at the X3, I COULD NOT tell the difference. Therefore, brain generated bull-****.

Objectively:
Line-out should sound the same for both. DAC function should sound the same for both. If used as coax out source (SPDIF) they should both sound the same.
What may sound a little bit different is the X3 LO to E17, but that is because you use the AD8692 in the X3 to feed the E17's AD8397. And I am not sure this situation is better. It might just be that you get more distortion and think that sounds more musical.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #671 of 921
It is the fastest firmware in terman of initial SD card scanning i clocked it witha  full 128GB sandisk card and took 9 minutes approx, better than those 30 minutes in previous frimwares

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #672 of 921
Yes, I've been using the 3,34 Beta firmware for a little while now and love it. I also bought a 128 GB SanDisk SDcard and that completely fixed the occasional problem I was having when the music would turn to garbage unexpectedly. The sound quality with 3.34 is excellent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back