Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #496 of 1,479
Holy moly!🤪

Looks like Sennheiser has made an old school planar magnetic out of the 800. Quite the feat in itself and should probably please folks who are allergic to mids. The way the mids drop off right around 900hz is textbook planar.
One thing though which this new tuning does succeed in: it is undoubtedly going to be a much warmer sounding can than it’s daddyo. Whether that is good or bad is of course down to the listener. Personally I’m glad I didn’t jump on it.
First of all, different rigs output different results, but it's undeniable that there's a pit that digs in centered around 1.5k or so. I don't like the look of that from the measurements. I want that area transition to be a smooth rising to the ear gain apex.

Also, I don't know about the upper tilt in the mids as we get to the highs. But, it will not help the sudden valley that it's setting up for. It creates more of a tonal contrast at the valley.

If they would kindly fill that valley, I'd appreciate it. They probably know they should, but it's likely they cannot. It's probably the result to them trying to bring out the mids and lower frequencies trying to level the spectrum (trying to warm up the response), and the valley was the cost. They gone Fullmetial Alchemist. They went for the transmutation.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #497 of 1,479
I feel like the tuning Has been changed since the earlier reviews. I can’t imagine people thinking this is very hd800 like.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #501 of 1,479
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #502 of 1,479
Well now I feel like I should cancel…but I already used the drop points. So I guess they get me one way or the other. Either I owe them money or I take a chance on a headphone that just got ripped to shreds.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #503 of 1,479
Keep in mind you have a month to return your 8xx if you don't like the sound.

I'm pretty spooked by some of the reviews. But the original 8xx tuning also had a lot of crap/meh reviews. And that one was 90% of the 800s tuning.

And for that matter, a lot of people hate on the 800s too. It seems like half the reviewers and half the audio community are going to be dissatisfied with this headphone either way.

I'm optimistic.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #504 of 1,479
I'm going to ignore the reviews and make my own conclusion when they come in

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #505 of 1,479
I saw Crinacle's review and he's very confident on his impressions. He did have a sound demo, and I get good feeling mids are going to come off too thick. It's not a good combination with the dip in the upper-mids. Panda, and now this? Somebody likes thick.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #506 of 1,479
Any way to remove, revert the tuning to make it closer to an 800s or 800?

That was part of the 6XX's allure that it was essentially a 650.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #507 of 1,479
Any way to remove, revert the tuning to make it closer to an 800s or 800?

That was part of the 6XX's allure that it was essentially a 650.
That's not what's going on here. 8XX is nothing like 800 or S. 8XX is 8XX. 6XX is 650. At least with 6XX, you are getting an already establish tuning (NOT tuned by Drop).

Why not just get a 800S or 800? Why get something you need to revert? EQ'ing doesn't make something sound like a headphone without EQ. If it was the case, why don't we EQ to a cheap headphone to TOTL headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #508 of 1,479
That's not what's going on here. 8XX is nothing like 800 or S. 8XX is 8XX. 6XX is 650. At least with 6XX, you are getting an already establish tuning (NOT tuned by Drop).

Why not just get a 800S or 800? Why get something you need to revert? EQ'ing doesn't make something sound like a headphone without EQ. If it was the case, why don't we EQ to a cheap headphone to TOTL headphones?
I think what he's talking about is that the original tuning for the 8XX was a slight adjustment to the 800s. He wants that back. I would agree.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #509 of 1,479
Drop should revert it, or at least tell us which pieces to remove to get it more in line with a regular 800. I would like to pick up one of these, but not if it's a hot mess.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #510 of 1,479
Honestly wish they would just make a cheaper HD800s rather then mess with the tuning. I'll still keep my preorder since I will like what I like regardless what other reviewer say but it is nerve racking.

If anything, I can go to one of those DJ Twitch channel and have a mini rave at the comfort of my own home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back