Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Sep 7, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #511 of 1,478
Don't take this the wrong way but stop with the drop shoulda blah blah blah and get them on your head first

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #514 of 1,478
Sep 7, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #515 of 1,478
E-XtIwJWEBojXpm.jpg

tbh, the 'resonator' is different from HD800S, it seems like there's a thick foam behind the mesh.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #516 of 1,478
still interested in getting these some day, esp since you can mod them in 1 move to 800S

if the rest can be EQ'd then great, not like the 800 stock sounds fine as is either

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #517 of 1,478
still interested in getting these some day, esp since you can mod them in 1 move to 800S

if the rest can be EQ'd then great, not like the 800 stock sounds fine as is either
I don't think "tape tuning" is an easily repeatable solution. Why do we need to void the Drop warranty to "tune" the 8xx tape coverage/density to match the tune of the stock HD800S? Not everyone has a spare original HD800S to compare side by side like DMS did, let alone measuring for comparison time after time as the tape coverage and density is adjusted until the curves match. The process sounds like a lot of tedious work to undo the mess of a tune Drop dropped on us.

I'd like to see the end result of "tape tuning" the 8xx match the original HD800S curve on a few "detunes" of 8xx's until it is made to be easily repeatable by anyone. Until it is a repeatable and easy to duplicate process - a risk free tune - I don't think it can be considered a good enough solution to recommend over simply buying a HD800S direct from Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #518 of 1,478
I don't think "tape tuning" is an easily repeatable solution. Why do we need to void the Drop warranty to "tune" the 8xx tape coverage/density to match the tune of the stock HD800S? Not everyone has a spare original HD800S to compare side by side like DMS did, let alone measuring for comparison time after time as the tape coverage and density is adjusted until the curves match. The process sounds like a lot of tedious work to undo the mess of a tune Drop dropped on us.

I'd like to see the end result of "tape tuning" the 8xx match the original HD800S curve on a few "detunes" of 8xx's until it is made to be easily repeatable by anyone. Until it is a repeatable and easy to duplicate process - a risk free tune - I don't think it can be considered a good enough solution to recommend over simply buying a HD800S direct from
Fortunately, the proposed mod is simply removing the tape from 8xx, not adding tape, so there shouldn't be any tedium or experimentation. But yeah I'd still like to see the theory tested out.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #519 of 1,478
Fortunately, the proposed mod is simply removing the tape from 8xx, not adding tape, so there shouldn't be any tedium or experimentation. But yeah I'd still like to see the theory tested out.
Important to note that it’s theoretical. No one who has a pair has actually taken off the tape since they are on loan. I hope some reviewers purchase a pair and experiment with mods.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #520 of 1,478
Important to note that it’s theoretical. No one who has a pair has actually taken off the tape since they are on loan. I hope some reviewers purchase a pair and experiment with mods.
"If Wishes were Fishes"...and "A deal in the hand..." is more valuable than a Tape Mod Fantasy on Twitter :wink:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/post-16541596

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #521 of 1,478
Sep 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #523 of 1,478
Did you buy the Singxer amp from them with it? I did...it's sitting here in the box..not sure what I want to do with it. I haven't opened it and I'm thinking that if I don't like the headphones I'll send the whole thing back.
Ha that's exactly what I did. I really like it though, so I'm keeping it regardless. The hi-z switch is magic.

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #524 of 1,478
Ha that's exactly what I did. I really like it though, so I'm keeping it regardless. The hi-z switch is magic.
I have an A90 and over in the Singxer thread I’m having a hard time figuring out if it’s similar or better.

I wanted a warmer amp…but the people in the thread seem to say that it’s not warmer than the A90. (Which would make it not warm at all?)

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #525 of 1,478
I have an A90 and over in the Singxer thread I’m having a hard time figuring out if it’s similar or better.

I wanted a warmer amp…but the people in the thread seem to say that it’s not warmer than the A90. (Which would make it not warm at all?)
I don't have an a90 to compare and I don't know what "warm" means to you, but it's got a natural quality and it does not over emphasize the upper mids and treble. Sounds very clean, detailed and not aggressive. But aggression (closeness/upper mid emphasis) can vary a bit with a flip of the z switch, depending on cans. From what I've read, it's likely a bit smoother than a90. Part of the reason I got it to pair with 8xx (when I was assuming the 8xx would have 800s highs) was that class-A smoothness. So far it does sound like it takes some of the bite out of the focal clears and klipsch hp3, so I'm feeling good about its pairing with the 800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back