Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #1,471 of 1,479
I'm getting re-acquainted with my stock 8XX during the winter listening season. I use Lokius EQ, boost 2 kHz knob to 2:30, and fade adjacent 400 Hz & 6 kHz knobs to 11:00.

The resolution is there, but the timbre is questionable. Sounds like a recording. Maybe even a retro rockabilly recording. Although that’s overstating the flaw, and I’ll continue to do that.

The timbre isn’t objectionable, but an unequalized 6XX often sounds more natural. Only the percussion sounds conspicuously artificial with 8XX before comparing. The attack is there, but tom-toms sound like one-note pops. You don’t hear the chamber of the drum and the texture of the skin. Snare decay isn’t convincing. Like a drum machine.

I don’t hear vocals recessed so much as the instrumentation equally pronounced. Vocals often sound better through 6XX, but not bad through 8XX. Just a tinge of that rockabilly mic effect.

On the positive side, 8XX resolution really shines with bass. It renders 6XX a vague allusion to bass in comparison. That puts 8XX back in contention for a superior comprehensive presentation.

Soundstage isn’t a revelation, but maybe I’d miss it in a trade-off. I hear more separation than imaging. Handles classical better than 6XX, which gets overwhelmed with congestion in dense passages.

I suspect 8XX's high resolution lends the impression of hearing everything separately in equal measure, instead of more naturally blended and balanced proportions. Surely the recording mix can emphasize or mitigate this.

Not sure I fault 8XX for any of that. Maybe I’m hearing a laid-bare presentation in 8XX juxtaposed with a more natural-sounding interpretation in 6XX. It sounds like a recording, because it is.

Otherwise, much of the conventional wisdom about 8XX and 6XX applies. The 8XX compels analytical listening with clinical transparency. The 6XX seduces laid back enjoyment with a natural interpretation.

The range of material with which 8XX doesn't sound good is pretty limited, and not always predictable. Lots of hard-edged material sounds fine, for instance.

Maybe 8XX is underrated as an all-rounder. And disappointing as an improvement on the 8-series. Just another set of trade-offs. The original 800 and 800S have both superiorities and flaws.

Thing is, where else do you go for the price? LCD-X, Clear, Aeon 2, Aeolus. Anything universally superior to 8XX for the price, or more compelling trade-offs? Next step up is easily 50% higher price.

I’d consider a small upgrade if I could reliably improve timbre with reasonable trade-offs. But 8XX’s isn’t bad, I have 6XX for “natural interpretation,” and I’m leery of churning through other flaws.

I did succumb to a gear itch and sprung for a Pietus Maximus. We’ll see if that changes anything. I’ll probably set up a bedside station with the CTH and 6XX. Otherwise I think I’ve arrived at a pretty solid value chain.

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #1,472 of 1,479
With how well the 800 series takes EQ it's definitely underrated as an all-rounder. You can get amazing bass out of them but they always fall short on impact due to the diffused sound from the ring radiator drivers. I'm curious how a smaller ring radiator driver would sound. I think more punch and slam would be delivered at the cost of some soundstage.

I'd argue that the Arya, specifically the Organic since that's what I own, is superior to the 8XX for someone that listens to different genres, especially contemporary music. The only trade-off the Arya has is build quality and design. Some would argue the 8XX is superior for soundstage but I think they're on par overall. 8XX has width going for it but the Arya has more instrument separation and blackness between them.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,473 of 1,479
I did succumb to a gear itch and sprung for a Pietus Maximus. We’ll see if that changes anything.

PM is an upgrade over my CTH. But the tube factor gave me pause. It sweetens up the more clinical nature of the 8XX. But the PM is no more fatiguing, does nothing obviously wrong or conspicuous, and complements the 8XX dynamics and separation.

My negative assessment of percussion performance softened a bit since my last post even before the PM arrived. If anything, the PM improves that, but can't say as I confirmed that rigorously. Timbre doesn't otherwise sound wrong.

Bifrost 2, Lokius, Pietus Maximus, and HD 8XX is a damn good rig. If I do get the gumption to improve on HD 8XX, or add another complementary headphone, I have a solid platform to support that.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,475 of 1,479
Have no frame of reference regarding the HD800 or the HD800S, but am [quite] enjoying the HD8XX, with [full] sticker mod, Audio Envy ToneKraft hpc and Oratory 1990 EQ.
i own both 8xx and 800s - they (8xx) sound great with the various EQ filters i've used, really it comes down to adding a little bass and doing something about the massive dip in the upper mids

the stickers did very little to change mine - i took the cans wholly apart and soaked the metal in solvent, removed every trace. once reassembled, they sounded largely the same - if i had to do it all over again i'd just leave them and apply the EQ.

the 800s sound better untouched than the 8xx do - where those "need" EQ to deal with that valley, the 800s are very competent in their native guise.

not sure what went wrong with the 820 - EQ or no, i couldn't get them to not sound ... slightly off. and for the price, they weren't worth keeping. if i ever see a set for cheap i may grab them again just to complete the collection of the 8x0 series.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #1,479 of 1,479
Chord Mojo 2
Aaand that’s a DAC/amp… I don’t really need another DAC/amp, buuuut I used to have the OG Mojo and it sounded really good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back