Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
May 5, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #1,441 of 1,479
Hello everyone, I just got these with a partial sticker mod already done and Im having a bit of a problem with the sound. On higher piano keys like the video im linking below (Starts at 0:30 and goes to 0:35) its painful almost. I have tried both oratory1990 and crinacle's EQs without luck. Can someone tell me what peak that would be so I can adress it via EQ? Mine is with the Denoki leather pads (unfenestrated) if that matters. Havent tried stock pads. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing there's a lot of factors that could be causing it, I didn't have any issues listening on 0:30-0:35. I did the full tape mod.

Computer -> TAZ -> Apos Flow Cable -> HD8XX w/ Dekoni Fenerated Sheepskin

May 6, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,442 of 1,479
I didn't use my HD8xx much and decided to do a full sticker mod. It took me 2hrs.
Testing now. First impression: the sound feels more open, bass so far the same, I was very afraid that treble would become too harsh, but it's OK for now.
What I like the best is that it's not boxy sound anymore.

1679845996511.png

There is a missed opportunity to evaluate sound after each sticker removal before proceeding to the next.

In my journey, removal of the upper stickers alone was sufficient to remove the hollowed out sound signature. With the veil gone I had the clarity of the 800s but with mild warmth and no treble harshness. Best of all this sound signature works well with SS amps and is more versatile across more music genres.

800s users will need high quality tubes to match what I am getting from one sticker mod.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,443 of 1,479
What would be a good price to get a pair of these for on the grey market? $575? $650?

I REALLY want to "dip my toe" into the magical pool that is the Sennheiser HD800/HD800s , but really can't justify paying $1k+ for a used pair of HD800s right now.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,444 of 1,479
What would be a good price to get a pair of these for on the grey market? $575? $650?

I REALLY want to "dip my toe" into the magical pool that is the Sennheiser HD800/HD800s , but really can't justify paying $1k+ for a used pair of HD800s right now.

While I cannot comment on the north American marketplace, the HD800, HD800S and HD8XX are each tuned differently so double check what you are potentially buying. It is prudent to factor in a budget for replacement ear pads and headband, depending on the condition of the purchase of course

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,445 of 1,479
While I cannot comment on the north American marketplace, the HD800, HD800S and HD8XX are each tuned differently so double check what you are potentially buying. It is prudent to factor in a budget for replacement ear pads and headband, depending on the condition of the purchase of course

Good call, thanks. Yeah, I definitely realize the tuning differences, but for the price difference, I am more than happy with EQing or modding as necessary (which I already do with every pair of headphones).

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,446 of 1,479

Get HD8xx and do the sticker mod.

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,450 of 1,479

mine were just under 700 shipped - new open box. between reverb and ebay and etc i saw a range of low 600s to near msrp.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,454 of 1,479
Man that sounds perfect to me! Cant wait for my pads to come tomorrow.

I agree, with the stickers off clarity is much improved and the congestion/constriction to the sound is cleared away.

I listened to the 800S in the shop before getting my 8XX. From memory the 800S had this hyper-realistic quality. The 8XX never really delivered the same sense of realism although it's still so detailed. I might have to try the sticker mod...

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,455 of 1,479
update after a few weeks/month of ownership. back when i removed all the stickers and popped the cans on i admit i expected this big opening of wonderfulness. i expected that wood plank sound to go away. i was ready to be wowed by the... no. obviously i can't go back in time but.... imho, they sound the same with and without stickers... very wood plankish

i spent hours with goo-gone and alcohol and yet there is still some adhesive there. if you shine a bright light through, on the part that never had adhesive, you can see the light through the individual holes. but on the part that did have stickers, there's still some blockage.

using peace for eq - if i use the 8xx stock profile they sound bad, ditto the 800s / but with the ief neutral with bass for the 8xx they suddenly sound like you'd expect for the money and the hertiage.

i plan on watching some mod videos and see these taken apart - i want to know if you can get that metal mesh out of there. i think that legit needs to be soaked in something to full dissolve all that sticker nonsense.

cause as it stands - my sticker modded 8xx looks, even up close, like they're gone. but they sound planky and need eq. so the journey continues but it's nice to know they can and do sound amazing with a few sliders adjusted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back