Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #527 of 1,479
This is the only genuinely negative review of them and the sound demo does indeed sound bad. Seems like a few canceled their orders because of said review also.
I don't think all is said yet though.
The sound demo to my ears sounds like badly compressed music or a blown speaker.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #528 of 1,479
This is the only genuinely negative review of them and the sound demo does indeed sound bad. Seems like a few canceled their orders because of said review also.
I don't thing all is said yet though.
The sound demo to my ears sounds like badly compressed music or a blown speaker.
To be fair…both don’t sound all that great. My wife called the 8XX portion “muted” and I view the 800 portion as “tinny”.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #529 of 1,479
The badseed review was more or less positive. Sounds like dms is winding up to drop a very negative review though.

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #531 of 1,479
I thought it would sound weird based on the updated FR graph and apparently it does. Cancelled my order.
Was hoping the changes to the sound quality would offset the poor design of the headphones.
The connectors are weird, take too much force to remove, and can easily damage the mesh that is right next to them when trying to yank them out.
Also the headband itself has a small plastic track on each side that the detents ride in. If the headband gets bent at all, the tracks get bent and the detents don't work properly.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #532 of 1,479
The badseed review was more or less positive. Sounds like dms is winding up to drop a very negative review though.
Badseed did his best “it’s weird and the soundstage is screwed up but I’m not committed to a negative review so I’m going to say that I might buy it to stay on a good note with drop, but I’m not going to buy it.”

I thought it would sound weird based on the updated FR graph and apparently it does. Cancelled my order.

I haven’t yet…mostly because I don’t want them to announce that they are going back to the drawing board and then I end up having to pay back the $200 of drop credit I used doe the Singxer. Then if they fix it…I have to get stuck with $200 of drop credit.

8 people canceled today. That’s going to snowball. I’m likely not going to purchase from them again due to all of this.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #533 of 1,479
The page still says "3 months left" despite them earlier saying they would target the beginning of September to start shipping.

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #534 of 1,479
I'd gladly wait till November or even longer if it means they'll just give us an hd800s

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #537 of 1,479
I noticed people keep canceling the orders for 8xx since last week and this seems like a major crisis for Drop.
Drop, please just ship us the HD800S in Sep. Otherwise, I am seriously considering order cancellation as well.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #540 of 1,479
From the timeline that I am aware of most of the positive reviews were coming early. There was the 'final' revision and then some very, very bad freq response graphs and reviews cropped up. Bottom line is I was considering this drop to replace my OG and getting older hd800. At this point I would not do that, of course.

Hifiman He-5xx: what I wanted, a HE-500 with updated headband, grill, and pads. What they gave us: a totally different headphone that I'm not interested in.

Sennheiser Hd8xx: what I wanted, a HD800S at a reasonable price. What they gave us...the drop version of the HD820.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back