Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #1,517 of 2,001
Currently my fridge is occupied with: Texels Stormbock, Texels Bok, Barbar Bok. Surely, no Yuenthingy can ever compete with a Barbar Bok (and probably not with the Texelsen either but we will find out eventually). :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,518 of 2,001

Quote:
+1 for Yuengling...delicious and cheap.

Not really a fan of Sam Adams although if I"m trying to watch my waist line I'll get their light beer as I think it's the best light beer out there.

Don't think I've tried any of the Sam Adams varieties. I would eventually like to try the Yuengling Light at some point though (because of waistline concerns, etc).

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,519 of 2,001

Quote:
Currently my fridge is occupied with: Texels Stormbock, Texels Bok, Barbar Bok. Surely, no Yuenthingy can ever compete with a Barbar Bok (and probably not with the Texelsen either but we will find out eventually). :)

seriously, get that Christoffel bock, trust me

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,520 of 2,001
I had two of them. Both of them tasted off and instantly died in my glass, so I guessed something was wrong. I did not enjoy the first one, but hey, I am no alcohol abuser so I drank it anyway. The second I did not even finish because it too died in my glass way too soon and again the taste was off.

Is this your experience too or should I try to get the Christoffel from another store? Oh, and seriously right back at ya: get the Barbar Bok. :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,521 of 2,001
^ will do, never had the Barbar Bok

But I didn't have that experience with my Christoffel bock, it was simply the best tastng dark beer I've had (although Delerium Nocturnum is also great).
I had it just after a Grolsch bock, difference was striking (I consider the Grolsch bock as pretty decent still)

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,522 of 2,001

Quote:
Not sure if this one even qualifies, as far as the types of beers you are all discussing here, but. . .thought I'd give my 2 cents' anyway. . .sure do love Yuengling
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone else concur? If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. . .it certainly is a nice refreshing change from your typical Miller/Coors/Bud varieties. . .

Yuengling is my low-brow beer, or the beer I drink after I have a nice buzz and still want something flavorful. It's my go-to at bars too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its just too bad its distributorship is squashed by the likes of Sam Adams in the northeast.

Has anyone tried the new Innis and Gunn Scotch Barrel? Really great beer, definitely get some of the scotch taste in the beer. One of my favorites in a while I think, then again I am partial to oak barrel aged beers.

I am also looking forward to sampling a bottle of Victory Otto this weekend. A Belgian/German Smokebeer hybrid, it should be an interesting brew.

Winter brings such good beers......

Yuengling's distribution isn't hurt by Sam, at least not in New Jersey. The Victory Otto though...well it reminded me of smoked ribs.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,524 of 2,001

Quote:
^ will do, never had the Barbar Bok

But I didn't have that experience with my Christoffel bock, it was simply the best tastng dark beer I've had (although Delerium Nocturnum is also great).
I had it just after a Grolsch bock, difference was striking (I consider the Grolsch bock as pretty decent still)

I shall give it a second (third?) chance then and buy it from another store this time. Fortunately every city has a Mitra. :wink:

The Grolsch is nice too, though nothing special really. I think my favourite this year is the Anker Bok and the La Chouffe one is nice as well. I also have high hopes for the Texelsen; the regular Bok came in first in this test of which I forgot the name. But in the same test the Anker Bok (or was it the Johannieter?) came in first in the stronger category of Bok beers. 
beerchug.gif

What is this? No love for Barbar from the south? You probably mean horribly nice. :wink:

EDIT: I must say the Hertog Jan has a creamy sublety to its Bok this year that I also really appreciate. What a great season this is. :-D

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,526 of 2,001

Quote:
Thanksgiving sipping means a bottle from the stash of Goose Island Bourbon County. Smooooth. It's about as close to port wine as I like my beer to get.

I almost bought some of that once. The packaging caught my eye and I mis-read the price tag... When he rang me up I was floored. That four pack of smallish bottles went back on the shelf. I would still love to try it someday but it's going to have to wait.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,530 of 2,001
^ Beautiful glass!

To the Dutchies/Belgians: the Texels Bok is very nice. I can see why it won the first prize this year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back