Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,502 of 2,001
I agree there aren't many good "pumpkin" beers. Most that claim to use a lot of pumpkin wind up just tasting like a standard October style beer. Pumpking is the best with actual pumpkin flavoring (or close to it), although I do enjoy Pumpkinhead, if not for its pumpkin taste, then for its fall spice flavor.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Dogfish Head Punkin. Their beers are all pretty good, even if a little strange. The Punkin was expensive and just fell into the category of another meh October style beer.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,503 of 2,001
Since I was 21, and I'm now 36, I can't say I've had a really good pumpkin beer that I buy yearly.  In fact, I don't buy them anymore, and haven't for probably 5 years.  Never found a good one, and I tried to.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,504 of 2,001
DFH Punkin was good the past 2-3 years, a good blend of pumpkin and spices, but this year it just was boring. I think the pumpkins were just harvested entirely too early.

Tonight I'm drinking an Orval, a nice beer, quite refreshing. I like it.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,505 of 2,001
Based on what everyone's saying, at least I don't feel bad for missing out on a good pumpkin brew this year hahaha.

After you posted that comment about Orval I was thinking about getting it for the next time I indulge in a couple.  Went online and checked the beer menu at my local Total Wine, and I saw $5.49 which isn't bad at all and cheaper than the next beer I was considering...Dogfish Head Namaste @ $8.99.  Anyone tried it?  I liked the story about them sending some of the proceeds to a craft brewery that burned down in Europe somewhere plus it looked tasty.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,506 of 2,001
Yesterday I tried some Boks I never had before (Anker Bok and Jopen Johannieter). Wow, were they awesome...

and...

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #1,507 of 2,001

Quote:
Based on what everyone's saying, at least I don't feel bad for missing out on a good pumpkin brew this year hahaha.

After you posted that comment about Orval I was thinking about getting it for the next time I indulge in a couple.  Went online and checked the beer menu at my local Total Wine, and I saw $5.49 which isn't bad at all and cheaper than the next beer I was considering...Dogfish Head Namaste @ $8.99.  Anyone tried it?  I liked the story about them sending some of the proceeds to a craft brewery that burned down in Europe somewhere plus it looked tasty.

Orval is definitely a nice beer to try, whether it was worth $6 for a 11.2 ounce is left to the discretion of the drinker though. Namaste is a really good beer though, I enjoy it a lot. Very crisp with a nice citrus taste to it. I would definitely buy it to try at $8.99.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,508 of 2,001
Even though all the friends are drinking every Christmas beer they can find, I had enough, and I've already gone back to the IPAs.  I found a new one, brewed in my home state of Ohio, about two hours away, at a place called The Brew Kettle, it's a BBQ place.  Usually their beers are moderately priced and a little above average, but nothing awesome, I guess.  The label on this one rang my bell, loudly.

Quote:
A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please.
6.8% Alc/ Vol. 70 IBUs

I thought it was close to perfect! 

I guess I'm not the only one who likes it.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #1,509 of 2,001
So are most of the beers mentioned in this thread of the micro brew variety?  There is a favorite in my area called Abita and they have some pretty decent seasonals.  They also have a strawberry harvest ale that is interesting.  Not something I would drink often but it pretty light and refreshing, if not a bit sweet.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,512 of 2,001
Not sure if this one even qualifies, as far as the types of beers you are all discussing here, but. . .thought I'd give my 2 cents' anyway. . .sure do love Yuengling
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone else concur? If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. . .it certainly is a nice refreshing change from your typical Miller/Coors/Bud varieties. . .

Cheers
beerchug.gif
Enjoy!!

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,513 of 2,001
Yuengling is by far the best "cheap" beer around. I can get a 24 pack of bottles for around $14 and it is the only beer I could drink every day. Its just too bad its distributorship is squashed by the likes of Sam Adams in the northeast.

Has anyone tried the new Innis and Gunn Scotch Barrel? Really great beer, definitely get some of the scotch taste in the beer. One of my favorites in a while I think, then again I am partial to oak barrel aged beers.

I am also looking forward to sampling a bottle of Victory Otto this weekend. A Belgian/German Smokebeer hybrid, it should be an interesting brew.

Winter brings such good beers......

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,515 of 2,001
I just never could get behind Sam Adams. I enjoy a Sam Summer or Octoberfest every once and a while but their pricing suggests they are a microbrew, but their profits suggest otherwise. I just refuse to pay microbrew prices for a super commercial beer like theirs. Plus I can get better or equivalent microbrews for the same price or cheaper. They do make a few interesting beers every once in a while though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back