Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 1, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,486 of 2,001
I need to start writing up more of the beers I have been drinking. The problem is, I usually try so many new ones. Right now I have at least 5 different kinds of beers in my basement and I likely try 8+ new varieties a month. I will try to be more diligent in recording beer related observations in the future. I have had some great beers the past few months, although I think fall is my second favorite beer season. I don't think you can beat the dark beers of winter though.

Speaking of which, I have a 6 pack of Harpoon Chocolate that my girlfriend's sister picked up for me at the brewery last week. I can't wait until Christmas time to drink that, definitely one of my seasonal favorites. The only bummer is that you usually can't find it in anything other than winter mix packs in this area.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #1,487 of 2,001
Right now I have: Founders Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders Backwoods person, and Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine. I drank a Troegs Mad Elf last night, a Brooklyn Brewery's Local 2 the night before, a Brooklyn Brewery's Local 1 the night before that, a Victoy Otto before that, and so forth with a 120 Minute and a World Wide Stout within the past 2 weeks.

It's hard to keep track, but I review on Beeradvocate because I find it fun so I take 5 minutes of drinking at home to review them. When I go out though I drink cheap, Yuengling usually.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,490 of 2,001
Picked up a huge haul today:

4 pack of Founders Old Curmudgeon
Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace 750ml
Firestone Walker Walker's Reserve 650ml
Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti 650ml
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti 650ml

Heck yes.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,492 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:

I really want to try this.  I keep hearing good things about it.  Gotta see if there's a place in NJ that sells it.

I'm in NJ! Where in NJ are you? I can point you to four excellent stores if you're in the south, or willing to take a trip. They will each probably hurt your wallet though =x

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,493 of 2,001
I too am in NJ and can likely find you some stores that sell it. The closest I think is in Boonton off 287. I will be heading there later and can let you know if I see the Breakfast Stout. Even if they don't, its likely worth a trip up, the place has by far the best prices and selections of beer in Northern NJ. They usually keep all the good stuff that I can't find at many other places and keep their stock rotating nicely.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,494 of 2,001
My current residence is in Edison, NJ, in Middlesex.  Basically, smack dab in the middle of the state (though Edison is considered North Jersey).  I'd definitely love store suggestion.  Boonton is about 45-60 minutes away from where I live, but 20 minutes from where I work (Livingston).

Good times guys, and thanks!

beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,495 of 2,001

Quote:
My current residence is in Edison, NJ, in Middlesex.  Basically, smack dab in the middle of the state (though Edison is considered North Jersey).  I'd definitely love store suggestion.  Boonton is about 45-60 minutes away from where I live, but 20 minutes from where I work (Livingston).

Good times guys, and thanks!

beerchug.gif

Canal's in Berlin is my go-to. Great staff and a great selection of big bottles and 12 ounce bottles. They even have a lot of good cold bottles. Roger Wilco in Sicklerville has a decent selection of big bottles, but not near the amount of single 12 ounce bottles Canal's has. They have a lot of the same stuff as Canal's but I've found some things there Canal's doesn't have. Lastly is Canal's in Williamstown. They have some rare beers there, but mostly because they don't know what they have. If you have a big budget it's worth going there alone just to get a Firestone Walker 14 and Firestone Walker Parabola, which are both super rare at this point and even if you don't like them they are great for trades. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,496 of 2,001
A decent beer, but way overpriced were I got it at $15 a six pack.  

This year's smells of ginger bread, tastes of ginger bread and that's it.  Thin too.

And it expires December 14.  That's before Christmas!  It makes no sense.  Released too soon.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #1,500 of 2,001
Subscribed
beerchug.gif

I don't drink often, but when I do drink I LOVE a nice craft beer.  My favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Torpedo.  The last seasonal one was Shipyard Pumpkinhead which I wasn't too impressed with.  I thought it tasted like a Budweiser version of a pumpkin beer.  I would've liked the pumpkin to be more flavorful, the beer to be more full-bodied, and a slight touch of sweetness.  I didn't get any of that with the Shipyard one.  There was a slight pumpkin taste to it, but overall it seemed fairly weak.  Any recommendations for good pumpkin beers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back