Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #1,546 of 2,001
img0448vc.jpg

American Brewing Co. - Breakaway IPA (7.2% ABV)
- Light flowery hops aromatics
- Golden amber color, slight haze to it, fluffy dense head, almost looks like nitrogen head
- Mmmm, medium almost creamy mouthy feel, starts off lightly bitter-sweet, goes down nice
- Aftertaste has trailing bitter hops that linger on for a while, not face twisting bitter
- Maybe a very slight orange/lemon peel bitterness
- Different IPA .. it's kinda nice .. might buy it again, 6.5/10

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,547 of 2,001
I had 'Bitburger' for the first time this year in a German bar in Barcelona - That's my favourite beer to date
redface.gif

Oh, I also had 'Efes' in Turkey, that is also quite nice, I don't like half the crap served over here in the UK...

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,548 of 2,001
That is good news Varley! Bit is a nice and refreshing pilsner. If you liked that, than you will surely like lots of other pilsners.
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,551 of 2,001
                                                                                                                 Howhowhow,

Sunday is here,

Time for beer!!!

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,552 of 2,001

Had a bottle of Anchor Brewing Humming Ale the other day. Nice floral aroma, head pours thick and laces the glass quite nicely. Has a medium body with a hoppy punch that's balanced with some fruit notes from start to finish.

Also had a bottle of Ballast Point Sea Monster which I really enjoyed. This imperial stout pours pitch black like the depths of Challenger Deep, it's head is thick and laces the glass nicely. It has hints of chocolate, toast, and coffee in it's aroma. It has a medium-heavy body with dark chocolate, coffee, nuts, and a hop bitterness from the start that blends in nicely toward the finish. Would definitely pick up a few more bottle when I can find them.

IMG_0380.jpg

Had a bottle of Rogue Double Chocolate stout last night. This stout also pours deep black with a nut brown colored head. Has chocolate, light coffee, toast, and roasted malts for it's aroma. Lots of dark bittersweet dark chocolate, a hint of coffee and roasted malt taste. This isn't a sweet beer by any means as it finishes with a hop bitterness that fades nicely with the chocolate notes. Chocolate is the main focus here but it's not overpowering, it's balanced with the other tasting notes. Would buy this seasonal beer again. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #1,553 of 2,001
img0476n.jpg

Ninkasi - Sleighr Dark Double Alt Ale (7.2% ABV)
- Hardly any aromatics at all when opened or poured
- Dark nearly black color .. light just barely penetrates it
- Medium mouthy feel .. not creamy, rich or velvety
- Mmmm .. this is very nice .. not overly malty alcoholy, nor hoppy bitter, or flat
- I really like this .. I was expecting something rich, smooth, malty alcohol winter ale
- I'd get this again & again .. 8.5/10

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,555 of 2,001
Dec 27, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,556 of 2,001
Glad I'm not the only one to get beers for Christmas. Got a 4 pack of Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy and I gave the girlfriend bottles of Delirium Noel and Victory Otto.

On a side note, has anyone else heard that Dogfish Head World Wide Stout has been discontinued? The manager of one of the local stores that really seems to know his stuff told me. In any case, I have two bottles of it now, one to be enjoyed for the new year and one to be aged for a special occasion (likely my wedding, whenever that happens down the road).

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,558 of 2,001
Random Question for the connoisseurs here. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, cheap beer snifters? So far it seems like the best bet are those sold at Crate and Barrel for around $8. I just was wondering if there are any other options I am missing.

My thinking has been that with all the good beers I drink, I need an appropriate glass instead of using tiny snifters that only hold half a bottle of beer at a time.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,559 of 2,001

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one to get beers for Christmas. Got a 4 pack of Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy and I gave the girlfriend bottles of Delirium Noel and Victory Otto.

On a side note, has anyone else heard that Dogfish Head World Wide Stout has been discontinued? The manager of one of the local stores that really seems to know his stuff told me. In any case, I have two bottles of it now, one to be enjoyed for the new year and one to be aged for a special occasion (likely my wedding, whenever that happens down the road).

I enjoyed Ten Fidy, but Otto is...Not for everyone. As for World Wide Stout, read this. Apparently it's going on hiatus, which is a shame because I feel it's one of the best beers I've ever had. I know a store that has 2010 versions that are very good drinking right now. I will pick up a few of them and some 2011 if I can find any.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,560 of 2,001
Keanex, your in NJ correct? Which store has the 2010's? I would love to pick one or two up if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back