Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,576 of 2,001
Having lurked here for a few months (whilst researching a choice of new headphones), I suddenly notice a beer thread and it was enough to make me sign up! So, after drinking a couple of bottle conditioned beers*, I thought it a good place to jump in.

Quote:
On the topic of pouring sediment into the beer, I do it sometimes, sometimes I don't. It's only necessary in, I think, one style though which is Hefeweizen which translates to "Yeast Wheat." Sediment at the bottom of other styles can change a beer slightly when poured into the beer, but it's not necessary and most companies discourage pouring it in. 

Yes, hefeweizen requires the yeast to be poured with the beer. The only other beer that I can think of that yeast would be poured into the beer is Coopers from Austraila (Sparkling, Pale, etc). Whenever I serve ths beer at beer fests I always ask first if the customer wants it with or without the yeast. Most Austrailians take it rolled (with the yeast). British and Belgian beers should always be served wthout the yeast.

*The Kernel Brewery Imperial Marzen @ 9.1% ABV and Felstar Festive Ale (2009) @ 9.2% ABV.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,577 of 2,001

Quote:
Not really, it's a matter of personal preference and not the standard procedure. There's plenty of flavor and character in beers that have been bottled unfiltered or bottle conditioned without having to pour the sediment into your glass. Besides, with the sediment your glass you won't be finishing that last gulp in trying to determine the beer's taste or character when you can achieve that with the first couple of sips.

Of course its personal preference, I don't do it with all beers. But believe me, I know my Belgian beers :wink:

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,581 of 2,001

Quote:
Sadly, it seems as there is no Founders Breakfast Stout to be found in my area. I should have looked earlier, but didn't realize it was something that should be on my radar until recently. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait until next year.

Sorry to hear that, Columbus Ohio has it sitting on most of the shelves of the stores I go to.  And because of your post, I had to grab a four pack since I could.

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,582 of 2,001
Distribution is whacky. I can walk into three stores within 30 minutes of each other and buy a Victory Storm King, it's sitting on the shelves in the open. I walked into a store today that had at least 20 Firestone Walker 15th Anniversary, another store had 8 left at least. These beers are both highly sought after in other parts of the country, yet I have access to as much of it as I want. Mind you I'm not complaining I can easily get some fantastic beer, but I find it silly that these beers are so limited, yet so condensed in distribution. Why is it that there are 4 cases of Dark Intrigue left in one store, while some states didn't get any?

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #1,583 of 2,001
So i'm having the winter lager tonight, the local supermarket seems to have a few small time brews so i'm gonna check um all out.

I also had a cigarette for the first time in a while, i just love the smell of second hand smoke/booze/and BO
beerchug.gif
One day i want to bottle it and make my own cologne lol (It's the smell of a gig for those who can't figure it out)

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,584 of 2,001
Today's beer was a growler of Aviator Black Mamba oatmeal stout.

And then we toasted the New Year here with a Trader Joe's Vintage 2011 beer. Don't scoff -- it's a Unibroue product, and up to Unibroue's standards. The 2010 was fine fresh from the bottle but the 2011 tasted young and our remaining bottles will benefit from being put away for a while.

As for sediment: I know what the traditions are, but I pour what I like. Some bottles have tasty sediment and I want it in my glass. Bells' beers, for example.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,585 of 2,001
Received a few bottles of beers for xmas, here's two that I've received and I'm not sure if I should drink it or keep it as a novelty item.

Lump of Coal stout

2129585456_6e18747c15_z.jpg

Reindeer Droppings ale

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,586 of 2,001
Been drinking the Sweetwater seasonal beers lately.  The Christmas one was great, the New Years one (Happy Ending) not so much.  I love IPA, but this one was so thick it could be a milkshake.  10% ABV though
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,590 of 2,001
No, I'm not from Belgium. Had a friend who lived in Belgium and had him ship me the six packs late last year. I do know that Shelton Brothers Importers will be importing to the US about 7760 Westvleteren 12 specialty gift packs around April. This limited release is to help fund the repair and expansion of the abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren where Westvleteren is brewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back