Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,561 of 2,001
Wifey got me beer of the month club for Xmas. :)
cant wait for the mailman now

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,562 of 2,001
My girlfriend looked into beer of the month for me, but she said the shipping was the same price or more than the costs for the beer.

We decided its more worthwhile to just split a different six pack every time we are in a different city together.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,564 of 2,001

Quote:
Keanex, your in NJ correct? Which store has the 2010's? I would love to pick one or two up if possible.

Timber Creek Discount Liquors. It's a small store with a surprising selection. I don't know how many 2010's they had, but they had a lot of WWS and the one I happened to grab was from 2010. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,565 of 2,001

Quote:
Random Question for the connoisseurs here. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, cheap beer snifters? So far it seems like the best bet are those sold at Crate and Barrel for around $8. I just was wondering if there are any other options I am missing.

My thinking has been that with all the good beers I drink, I need an appropriate glass instead of using tiny snifters that only hold half a bottle of beer at a time.

If you have a Cost Plus or an Ikea nearby, they have cheap snifters.  Chains like BevMo out west carry them for like $6 each for a larger size ones.  If there is a goodwill store nearby, that would be the absolutely cheapest source for glassware.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #1,566 of 2,001
My goal of the day is to try to find some Founders Breakfast Stout. I would love to find some Kentucky Breakfast Stout but I doubt that is happening, so the normal will be the next best thing. The reviews of it seem to be almost all positive. I am hoping I like it, because I wasn't a huge fan of their scotch ale.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,567 of 2,001

Quote:
My goal of the day is to try to find some Founders Breakfast Stout. I would love to find some Kentucky Breakfast Stout but I doubt that is happening, so the normal will be the next best thing. The reviews of it seem to be almost all positive. I am hoping I like it, because I wasn't a huge fan of their scotch ale.

KBS is only available in March/April, so look for it then. Breakfast Stout is nearing the end of the run for the year so definitely try to find it.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,568 of 2,001

Rochefort 10, this beer has a deep ruby red almost dark brown color with a tan head that dissipates quickly. Has a wine like aroma with hints of dark fruits, grapes, and nuts. It has a thick mouthfeel but goes down quite easy, the beer has a slight sweet taste to it with traces of honey, chocolate, and caramel. There's also a slight alcohol bite towards the end but nothing too intense. One thing to note about this beer is there's quite a bit of sediment in it, so one has to be careful of how you pour this beer to minimize the amount of sediment getting into your glass. I carefully poured the beer into my glass and left the last 1/32 in bottle to try and avoid getting the sediments in my glass. Overall I enjoyed this beer and would pick it up again. Also picked up two bottles of Samichlaus Helles limited edition 2011 (red label is a 2011 vintage, white label is a 2010 vintage), one to drink soon and the other to lay down.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,569 of 2,001
I was thinking of opening my Rochefort 10 tonight actually, decided on an Otter Creek 20th Anniversary. I was going to buy the 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles for $9 because I figured with 12% alcohol at $9 it's at least going to get me drunk, then I saw a single bottle for $2.25. I'm about to open that, so we'll see.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #1,570 of 2,001

Quote:

Rochefort 10, this beer has a deep ruby red almost dark brown color with a tan head that dissipates quickly. Has a wine like aroma with hints of dark fruits, grapes, and nuts. It has a thick mouthfeel but goes down quite easy, the beer has a slight sweet taste to it with traces of honey, chocolate, and caramel. There's also a slight alcohol bite towards the end but nothing too intense. One thing to note about this beer is there's quite a bit of sediment in it, so one has to be careful of how you pour this beer to minimize the amount of sediment getting into your glass.

You're supposed to poor it in your glass, if not you won't taste how the beer is supposed to taste. Not that I alwasy do, but that's how it should be done.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,571 of 2,001
So thanks for the dollar store glasses recommendations. I went to a random store near work and was able to procure a snifter for the sum of $1. It's still a bit small (barely holds a 12oz beer) but it will hold me over until I can get something bigger.

Sadly, it seems as there is no Founders Breakfast Stout to be found in my area. I should have looked earlier, but didn't realize it was something that should be on my radar until recently. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait until next year.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,572 of 2,001
You don't really need a huge snifter though, generally beers poured into snifters are best shared so 5-6ounce quantities are perfect, and you should never fill a snifter more than half. When I'm pouring a beer that calls for a snifter I pour it the same way I would pour brandy even, hold the glass horizontal and pour until the liquid hits the lip then turn upright and stop pouring. Most beers poured into snifters won't have much head anyway.

I don't even know if that's proper, but that's how I do it since brandy/cognac is poured that way.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,573 of 2,001

Quote:
You're supposed to poor it in your glass, if not you won't taste how the beer is supposed to taste. Not that I alwasy do, but that's how it should be done.

Not really, it's a matter of personal preference and not the standard procedure. There's plenty of flavor and character in beers that have been bottled unfiltered or bottle conditioned without having to pour the sediment into your glass. Besides, with the sediment your glass you won't be finishing that last gulp in trying to determine the beer's taste or character when you can achieve that with the first couple of sips.

Agree with keanex that you don't need a huge sniffer glass. Typical beer tulip glasses holds around 5 to 6 oz of beer, what's important is that the glass has a large enough bowl to allow the drinker to inhale the beer's aroma while he takes a sip.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,574 of 2,001
On the topic of pouring sediment into the beer, I do it sometimes, sometimes I don't. It's only necessary in, I think, one style though which is Hefeweizen which translates to "Yeast Wheat." Sediment at the bottom of other styles can change a beer slightly when poured into the beer, but it's not necessary and most companies discourage pouring it in. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,575 of 2,001
Ya, Hefe style of beers seems to have yeast seditment that are light and stays suspended in the beer rather than settling at the bottom. Makes it kind of impossible to pour a Hefe style beer without getting sediment in your glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back