Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jan 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,606 of 2,001

Quote:
Any good brown ale recommendations? I recently turned 21 and have just discovered the awesomeness of craft beer.

English Brown Ale

Description:
Spawned from the Mild Ale, Brown Ales tend to be maltier and sweeter on the palate, with a fuller body. Color can range from reddish brown to dark brown. Some versions will lean towards fruity esters, while others tend to be drier with nutty characters. All seem to have a low hop aroma and bitterness.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/74

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,607 of 2,001
dsc6633o.jpg

Harmon Brewing Co - Pt. Defiance IPA (6.1% ABV)
- Light sweetish hoppy/malty aromatics
- Medium body mouthy feel, slightly silky smooth
- Lightly sweet & slightly hoppy, slightly amber malty
- Fairly clean after taste .. an odd mix of the slightly sweet & bitter hops & malts
- Not much of a bitter hoppy IPA .. it's a bit sweet IMO
- I might try it again .. 6.5/10

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,608 of 2,001
Ugh, starting new medicine on Sunday. No beer for six months! Not really going to be enjoying this.....

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,609 of 2,001
I think it's time I joined this thread, I've started to enjoy the taste of beer, and have been on the search of the latest and greatest. So far the 'new' beers I've tried Rolling Rock (liked it) , Guinness (being my favorite so far), Alexander Keith's Pale Ale (good), Tuborg (Did not like it at all), Sapporo (not bad), Tankhouse (liked it) Stella Artois (was ok), Dos equis (didn't like it that much), Strongbow (was ok at first, don't like it that much anymore). In my fridge right now is Kronenbourg, Apostel Brau, Faxe, and Furstenberg.

So I'm wondering what are some of the staples of "great" beer that I will probably overlook, any that really stand out, I'm very of new to this. I used to drink Corona, and Budweiser a bit but after having some much better stuff I realize there is some really good tasting beer out there! 

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,610 of 2,001

Quote:
I think it's time I joined this thread, I've started to enjoy the taste of beer, and have been on the search of the latest and greatest. So far the 'new' beers I've tried Rolling Rock (liked it) , Guinness (being my favorite so far), Alexander Keith's Pale Ale (good), Tuborg (Did not like it at all), Sapporo (not bad), Tankhouse (liked it) Stella Artois (was ok), Dos equis (didn't like it that much), Strongbow (was ok at first, don't like it that much anymore). In my fridge right now is Kronenbourg, Apostel Brau, Faxe, and Furstenberg.

So I'm wondering what are some of the staples of "great" beer that I will probably overlook, any that really stand out, I'm very of new to this. I used to drink Corona, and Budweiser a bit but after having some much better stuff I realize there is some really good tasting beer out there! 

First off, Strongbow is a cider, not a beer. As for the rest of the beers you have sampled so far, most seem to be from the big multinationals and I wouldn't waste my time on them, but as you have come from drinking Corona and Buttwiper I suppose some of them are an improvement :wink:

I have never really been too impressed by most Canadian craft beers, but while taking a look at what is available in your neck of the woods I saw this and really would love to try it:

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/muskoka-chocolate-cranberry

A friend just came back from Canada and had I known I would have had him bring me back a bottle. Looks seasonal, so probably will not be around when he goes back. A lot of the other Muskoka beers look good as well.

If you want to take a step up I would start sampling the beers on this page:

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/search/advanced?brand=92&type=All&sub_type=All&country=All&brewer=All&title_1=&=Submit

Looks like you might like the pale ales, and maybe even the IPAs. I have always liked the Belgian style Unibroue beers, but you might want to try other beers first as the Unibroue beers are pretty strong and not yet to your liking.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,611 of 2,001

Quote:
Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is very good, one of my favorites of their less funky offerings. It's not really a micro-brew but Newcastle Brown ale has always been very satisfying to me, especially if you can find it on tap.

No complaints with the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale, a great beer. Another favorite of mine is the Rogue Hazelnut Brown ale.

Newcastle Brown ale that isn't even brewed in Newcastle anymore. First they moved the brewing across the Tyne to Gateshead and now it is brewed in Yorkshire at the John Smith brewey in Tadcaster. The brand is owned by Heinken and sales are now greater in the USA than in the UK.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,612 of 2,001
Doing a six of these tonight, and a 22 of Racer 5 if things go according to plan, as in, I don't pass out first.

Very interesting, as there is almost a passion fruit, citrus aroma with maybe some pine in there, then you get that grapefruity, passion fruity mix taste followed by a mild, sweet malt and some bitterness as it fades.  Not hint of its nearly 8% alcohol strength, making this dangerously good (for you).

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,613 of 2,001
I really need to get around to buying a sixer of Lagunitas Sucks IPA.  A lot of positive impressions for that beer and it is still in supermarkets around here.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,614 of 2,001
Had an Innis & Gunn today, was pretty good, had a unique flavor, I would for sure buy it again. Had a beer from a local brewery called Crazy Canuck, I thought it was awful couldn't even drink it. Had Hoegaarden for the first time (serious), was ok, had a citrus flavor, wasn't my thing, though it wasn't bad. Yesterday, had Apostel Brau, I liked it, I would buy it again.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,615 of 2,001
Why are you drinking a 6 of Lagunitas Sucks, then a bomber of Racer 5? Seems like a lot of wasted beer to me. By the third Sucks you're not going to give a crud what you're drinking and it'd be cheaper/smarter to go to Yuengling or something similar at that point if you're just trying to get drunk. Savour good beer, don't try to just get trashed on it. Hell 2 Lagunitas Sucks a bomber of Racer 5 will have you more than buzzed.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,616 of 2,001
It's just beer man, you're supposed to drink it.  Waste of beer?  It's not wasted if I enjoy it.

I had three then ate a great dinner then had the other three as I listened to the headphones and watched the snow fall.  Never made it to the Racer 5, I decide to have that with lunch today.

beerchug.gif

Hey check this site out: http://drinkify.org/

Kinda funny.  For a few minutes.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,617 of 2,001
In a sad and ironic twist, I was able to find some Founders Breakfast Stout locally. Unfortunately today is the last day I can enjoy alcohol. Hopefully the stout will be worth all the effort I hav put into finding it and will be a good last drink.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,620 of 2,001
Quote:
In a sad and ironic twist, I was able to find some Founders Breakfast Stout locally. Unfortunately today is the last day I can enjoy alcohol. Hopefully the stout will be worth all the effort I hav put into finding it and will be a good last drink.

As much as beer aficionados like to joke otherwise, your health and well being are more important than beer. Congratulations on your change of lifestyle, and best of luck on your better future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back