Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Sep 13, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #481 of 2,001
Josh,

How did the Reverend turn out? Looks delicious!

But one needs to be careful with the quads.. heh heh!
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #483 of 2,001
Was tired of seeing you guys have all the fun so I broke into my mini fridge to see what I had left. Pulled one of these out:
alla_dubbel_dn.jpg

Allagash makes such a solid beer, if you have never had one please try to. They are that good.

Try the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe if you like a really good IPA, throw Southern Tier's Un-Earthly IPA up there as well. This is from a guy that was initiated into the IPA world with DFH 90 Minute.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #484 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Josh,

How did the Reverend turn out? Looks delicious!

But one needs to be careful with the quads.. heh heh!
wink.gif

Avery Brewing Co - The Reverend, Belgian-Style Quadrupel Ale
- Initial smell: very sweet & citrusy smelling.
- Initial taste: OMG so sweet! abit too sweet for me. lots of citrus taste, some spices too. mellow & sweet after taste.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #485 of 2,001
Frrom another forum I frequent:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that is an all star IPA Lineup. I'm inspired! may go on a shopping spree this afternoon! I feel sam smith calling to me on this cool rainy day in chicago.

Stone Ruination IPA
- Fresh Hoppy Aromatic, Sweet Hoppy Aromatic taste & after taste.

Stone Brewing IPA
- Hoppy Aromatic, mid-high Bitter taste, clean bitter after taste.

- Mongoose had more of a brown ale/porter type taste, not bitter-sweet IPA after taste, but a brown ale smooth after taste with hoppy overtones.

- Alaskan had a very clean crisp IPA taste & slight bitter hoppy after taste.

- Long Hammer's IPA is IMHO typical slight bitter taste & bitter-sweet IPA after taste.

- The Immortal has a ESB/Porter type of hoppish taste, semi-bitter & smooth, with a smokey bitter after taste.

- Out of one's Ive had so far..I am not likeing the Immortal that much. Lets hope the Skullers is better, I know the Ruination is ACE

- The Sculler's IPA is very similar to Immortal IPA in taste...but more bitter & funky after taste. I would rate it just above Immortal's. Not very good IMHO.

From top to bottom of these 7 IPA's I've had lately:

1. Stone Ruination IPA - Very aromatic hoppy & taste/after taste..no lingering bitter after taste.
2. Stone IPA - Similiar to Ruination's but not as smooth/hoppy aromatic & tasty.
3. Long Hammer IPA
4. Alaskian IPA
5. Mongoose IPA
6. Sculler's IPA
7. Immortal IPA

- about to crack open my 1st Vertical Epic 08-08-08

sweet, flowery, aromatic smelling
hmmm
almost like a Belgian white ale
dang! 8.6%
has a really bubbly/soda like after taste with hints of the sweet white ale & hops
abit of a citrisy(sp) spicy flavor too
...this vertical epic is hitting me....in a good way!

- ScuttleButt - Spicey Hoppy taste & smooth ESB-ish after taste.

- Laguintas - Tastes almost like Long Hammer, but a tad more bitter/spicy hoppy taste, slight sweet flowery after taste.

- TunderHead - Bubbly/Effervescent crisp IPA taste, and slight spice hoppy after taste.

- Honey Moon is good as well - lighter and smoother than Blue Moon and a hint of Honey. Didn't care for the Harvest Moon all that much. Tasted like Blue Moon with a bit of Pumpkin in it....not that much of an improvement to make me want to get another 6'er. I'd rather get other fall ales.

- Stone, IMO, is the best brewer of IPAs hands down. I've had their Arrogant person Ale & Smoked Porter, but I didn't post & drink them at home. I was at RG2's and I can't remember much about them.

- I wasn't overly impressed with Arrogant .. it's just not my kind of taste. Ruination & Stone IPA are bangon!

- Tonight I am having Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout:
Dark, bitter stouty taste .. somewhat smooth after taste, not too long or too bitter. I am also having Snoqualmie - Wildcat IPA: Initial taste - Flowery Hoppy aromatic smell & bright/crisp hoppy taste & after taste

- Anderson Valley Brewing Company - Hop Ottin' IPA
Sweet flowery Hoppy smell, sweet bitter hoppy taste & same mild after taste.

- My ever editing IPA beer review posts:
Port Townsend IPA
- Mellow ish hoppy-spicey taste & after taste...not bad

Bear Republic - Racer 5 IPA
- Crisp, clean, bitter taste & after taste...not bad 8+

Port Brewing - Hop 15 Ale
- Sweet Hoppy smell & taste, slight bitterness after taste. 8+

Port Brewing - Wipe Out IPA
- Flowery Cascade Hops smell & taste and after taste. 9+

Port Townsend Brewing - IPA
- I can't remember alot about this one...but I do remember I did like it alot...I passed the **** out at RG2s the other night.

Stone - Old Guardian Barley Wine
- I can't remember alot about this one...but I do remember this tasted pretty good for a 11.7% (or something) barley wine. I passed the **** out at RG2s the other night.

Anderson Valley Brewing - IPA
- I can't remember alot about this one...I passed the **** out at RG2s the other night.

Laughing Dog - DogZilla Black IPA
- initial review: flowery hoppy smell, medium bitter hoppy taste & porter smokey taste, light-ish porter after taste

Avery Brewing Co - The Reverend, Belgian-Style Quadrupel Ale
- Initial smell: very sweet & citrusy smelling.
- Initial taste: OMG so sweet! abit too sweet for me. lots of citrus taste, some spices too. mellow & sweet after taste.

Bridgeport Brewing Co - Hop Czar IPA
- Clean, hoppy smell and taste & after taste. good clean IPA .. hint of some kind of weed taste...

nothing new to add, except my "homebrew" Cold Sweat IPA is awesome.
- I am going to brew some new stuff soon the anual Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, WA.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #487 of 2,001
Three brand new ales (for me) on tap for the evening:

Stone Arrogant person "Oaked"
Stone Ruination IPA
Sierra Nevada "Harvest" Wet Hopped Ale

newales.jpg

Looking forward to the stone variants. I'm a huge fan of their regular Arrogant person.

I'll post some thoughts once I'm in motion a bit later this eve.

wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #488 of 2,001
I'm in Oregon this week and have been going nuts over having access to McMenamins' Terminator Stout on tap. Unfortunately, not on nitro (truly ambrosia) but the CO2 is just fine. Even checked myself in to one of their hotels - the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.

Right now, I'm starting into my fifth pint of Terminator this evening. It won't be the last.

This might be a good time to disclaim responsibility for any further posting this evening.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #490 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back from a few days in Brussels. Belgium has some damn fine beers.

I second that... They've been my favorite for some time. Besides their great taste (I'm familiar with the belgium ales), I live in Brazil and a HUGE brazilian factory has been importing some of them, so their price has dropped!
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #491 of 2,001
Just finished a few Sierra Nevada Pale Ales, followed closely by three Extra Gold Lagers (since the taste buds are numb now). All in all, a decent night writing a paper worth a 5th of a grade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #494 of 2,001
Last Friday, I went to a local pub and had a Chimay Blue. It's a trappist belgium beer. Just awesome. I can't even describe that. A gift from God? It may be, since monks were the ones who developed the production of trappist beers.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back