Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 13, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #512 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Been drinking some of this lately. Smooth and tasty.

Agreed, and it is nearly always good. I'm a damned tough critic, but Sam deserves props for this.

JC

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #513 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a six pack of Great Lakes Burning River and Rogue Santa's Private Reserve Ale for my 21st last Sunday
biggrin.gif
I've gotten Burning River a few times now and it's probably one of my favorites, bitter and hoppy but very drinkable and satisfying like a good meal. The Rogue brew on the other hand was just bitter and nasty, maybe if I had it with something salty to take the edge off.

Rogue makes some fine beers, but they repeatedly have missed it with this one.

JC

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #514 of 2,001
Flying Dog American Porter...send to earth by God himself.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #515 of 2,001
I have a special love for Belgian beers. My favourite is Westmalle Tripel (but I wish I could try Westmalle Extra, which is a non-commercial product, only local).
I also like Grimbergen Tripel (not the other two varieties) and Duchesse de Bourgogne (very weirdly flavoured beer, I love it).

I have never liked Chimay Blue or Red. Never tried White.

I tried Westvleteren Tripel, but I didn't like it much (even if it's considered one of the most precious beers in existence).

Gulden Draak is very nice (and has a lovely bottle
biggrin.gif
).

I hate Heineken and such. Bavaria is pretty decent for being a supermarket beer.

Last time I was in the UK (October, Wales) I also appreciated a few bitter beers, of which I could drink a lot without feeling full of air.
biggrin.gif

Guinnes is good, but pretty rubbish when had in Italy. I liked it in the UK. If I ever go to Ireland, I expect it to taste even better.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #516 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried Westvleteren Tripel, but I didn't like it much (even if it's considered one of the most precious beers in existence).

Yeah, I hear a lot of folks don't think that it is really that great of a beer but that the quest of getting it makes it rated so high. I have yet to try a true Belgian beer though so I cannot comment. I plan to soon though.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #518 of 2,001
Premium Japanese beer..

tried it today
sappora.jpg

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #519 of 2,001
San Miguel
Killian's Irish Red
Brooklyn Lager
Hoegaarden
Smiling Pumpkin Ale (Heartland Brewery, NYC)
Red Rooster Ale (Heartland Brewery, NYC)

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #522 of 2,001
Heineken is popular here in Hawaii, so is Steinlager. I tend to favor a lot of the micro-brews, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Gordon Biersch Marzen, Red Hook ESB/IPA, And Pyramid Hefeweizen are my favorites. There are a few local breweries as well that produce some nice micro-brew, Kona Brewing Company in particular has a nice lineup w/Longboard Lager, Fire Rock Pale Ale & Big Wave Golden Ale. Cheers Everyone
beerchug.gif

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #523 of 2,001
Beer is good. Lots of beer is better. Beer is the breakfast of champions. Beef makes you smart! How do I know? It made Budweiser.

I like beer. I like ale. I like stout. I like lager. I like pilsner. I like porter.

My favourite is Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. One brewer that is good fun is Magic Hat.

Growing up in Canada, my first beer was a Calgary. Kinda bitter aftertaste. When we were underage (i.e., 15 or thereabouts -- the drining age was 18 then in Saskatchewan) in a bar we would order Bue, Pil, Cal, or Boh. One syllable beers. Easy to say. Labatts Blue was the most popular beer in Canada when I was growing up. I still like it, but it is rather pedestrian.

My other favourites are Penn Pilsner, Guiness Stout, and Evil Eye Ale.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #524 of 2,001
As a long-time beer brewer, I humbly prefer my own.
wink_face.gif
However, living here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, where Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is wonderfully available just about everywhere, I still miss Cleveland's Great Lakes Brewery and their phenomenal Elliot Ness, Burning River, and Winter Warmer. The list of enjoyable beers is just too long, and the ones best avoided blissfully obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back