Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #962 of 2,001
Beer AND Headphones? 

Nirvana.

Oh - Ninkasi Tricerihops IPA...hoppy...citrusy...makes your jawbone tingle & your face pucker at the same time.

We should seriously start a Postal local beer exchange....

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #964 of 2,001

Quote:
Beer AND Headphones? 

Nirvana.

Oh - Ninkasi Tricerihops IPA...hoppy...citrusy...makes your jawbone tingle & your face pucker at the same time.

We should seriously start a Postal local beer exchange....

Beer Exchange that would be awesome!

I also liked Tricerihops alot when I reviewed it

Ninkasi - Tricerahops Double IPA (8.8% ABV)
- Flowery, sweetish hops smell
- Great flowery hop taste, medium bitterness, alil malty too
- Aftertaste is pretty clean, not much bitterness or malty
- ...slight trail of bitter hops at the very end
- This is a great beer, and high % too!
- If you like flowery hoppy beers, with a slightly malty & higher alcohol content, get this!
- 8/10

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #965 of 2,001
PBR - the ultimate college beer
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #966 of 2,001

Quote:
O my god.... I want to try this beer sooo bad

Belgian Newspapers announced this morning that the worldfamous award winning beer from Westvleteren, will normally no longer only be sold at the monistary but it will be available at 1 supermarket chain as well. (Negociations are still going on actually)

They need the extra money to rebuild the monastary. good news for us!

Can't wait
normal_smile .gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #968 of 2,001
I had a Flying Dog Raging B*tch Belgian Style IPA that was phenomenal!  So floral!  And strong at 8.3%

I went to get more and they were out, so I settled on this.  Which is okay, but nothing like the floral fragrance blast of the Flying Dog.  

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #969 of 2,001
Eee Pee, I've had a few pints of the Flying Dog Raging B, too! Superb stuff and am lucky I only had to walk across the street to my hotel the last time I got into the stuff.
biggrin.gif

If you enjoy that, see if you can track down Bear Republic's Racer 5. I promise you'll love it. One night after having a few of them, I got out the iPhone and decided that it was so good I had to write and tell them how good it was.

The next day, the guys who brew at Bear Republic emailed me back and were thrilled. Very cool people and excellent IPA!

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #970 of 2,001
The Racer 5 is at the store, I'm getting it tomorrow.  I didn't know it was an IPA.

Another beer thread participant elsewhere said the Racer 10 destroys the 5, so I didn't bother.  Maybe like Dogfish Head 90 minute does to their 60 minute...

Mmmmmm, beer.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #972 of 2,001
I just received a box with Bear Republic Racer 5, Hop Rod Rye and Stout.  It's all good stuff.  If you can find Cigar City Humidor IPA (not easy out of Florida) give it a try. Once of my favorite IPA's.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #973 of 2,001
I'm enjoying a Racer 5 right this moment.  
biggrin.gif

I've learned the floral flavor comes from Centennial hops.  I learned something new today, and it only took 9 hours after I woke up...

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Founder's Centennial, Flying Dog Raging Biatch, Columbus Brewing IPA, Racer 5, and something else I can't remember all have a very distinct flavor, and I enjoy it largely!  Centennial hops it is!  

I looked real quick on the Bear Repube Brew site:

[size=medium]Racer 5 IPA®[/size]
American India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.0% IBU: 75+ Color: Golden
This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed American pale and crystalmalts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial.

There it is.

There's a brewery here in Ohio that has one called 4 C's, and guess what they are?  Familiar flavor it has to the Racer 5.

Good suggestion.  I'll have to seek out the 10.

Edit:  Now that I've looked on the website a bit, it seems I might be referring to the X?  Which makes no mention of the good Centennial hops... meh.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #974 of 2,001
IPA is truly the KING of beers.

Equally favorable to the AMAZING Ninkasi Tricerahops (8.8% Abv & brewed in good ole Eugene, Oregon) is:

Terminal Gravity IPA (6.9% Abv) - so clean, citrusy, & refreshing with a mild bitter finish.

(...Hey, I'm partial to Oregon Beers.)

I'd really be interested in trying an IPA brewed in the Midwest, with Midwest ingredients.

Anyone interested in starting a postal beer exchange? 

Is there a potential of breaking any liquor laws by mailing bottles of beer across state lines?  This requires research, methinks.  Oregon has some pretty strict laws regarding liquor & beer...

Cheers to all! (Currently enjoying a cold, frosty pint of Terminal Gravity IPA accompanied by some The National "High Violet" Album on the ol' headphones....)

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #975 of 2,001
Being from the California, my favorite IPA's are Racer 5 and Ballast Point Sculpin.  Pliny the Elder would be my favorite IIPA. 

However, I do like to try different beers and have been drinking my way through the trappist beers right now, working my way toward opening a Westvleteren 12 for my upcoming birthday in a few weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back