Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #976 of 2,001
On another forum I frequent, a couple guys on there say Pliny The Elder is the best, period.  

It's not available in Ohio.  They looked into shipping me some, and found they cannot.

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #977 of 2,001

Quote:
IPA is truly the KING of beers.

Equally favorable to the AMAZING Ninkasi Tricerahops (8.8% Abv & brewed in good ole Eugene, Oregon) is:

Terminal Gravity IPA (6.9% Abv) - so clean, citrusy, & refreshing with a mild bitter finish.

(...Hey, I'm partial to Oregon Beers.)

I'd really be interested in trying an IPA brewed in the Midwest, with Midwest ingredients.

Anyone interested in starting a postal beer exchange? 

Is there a potential of breaking any liquor laws by mailing bottles of beer across state lines?  This requires research, methinks.  Oregon has some pretty strict laws regarding liquor & beer...

Cheers to all! (Currently enjoying a cold, frosty pint of Terminal Gravity IPA accompanied by some The National "High Violet" Album on the ol' headphones....)

I for some reason cannot enjoy an IPA. But if you can get your hands on some, Bell's makes some damn good beer. The Two Hearted ale is a well liked IPA. http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/

They have a pretty high presence here in the midwest. During the summer Oberon, a wheat ale, is found in almost every bar that servers more than bud, miller and a random import. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #978 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:
IPA is truly the KING of beers.

Equally favorable to the AMAZING Ninkasi Tricerahops (8.8% Abv & brewed in good ole Eugene, Oregon) is:

Terminal Gravity IPA (6.9% Abv) - so clean, citrusy, & refreshing with a mild bitter finish.

(...Hey, I'm partial to Oregon Beers.)

I'd really be interested in trying an IPA brewed in the Midwest, with Midwest ingredients.

Anyone interested in starting a postal beer exchange? 

Is there a potential of breaking any liquor laws by mailing bottles of beer across state lines?  This requires research, methinks.  Oregon has some pretty strict laws regarding liquor & beer...

Cheers to all! (Currently enjoying a cold, frosty pint of Terminal Gravity IPA accompanied by some The National "High Violet" Album on the ol' headphones....)

I for some reason cannot enjoy an IPA. But if you can get your hands on some, Bell's makes some damn good beer. The Two Hearted ale is a well liked IPA. http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/

They have a pretty high presence here in the midwest. During the summer Oberon, a wheat ale, is found in almost every bar that servers more than bud, miller and a random import. 

I enjoy Bells too, the Bells Oarsmen Ale is a really nice break from the heavier hoppier beers I drink, right on the tongue it takes like a basic domestic but hits a nice tangy second punch that is really nice. Has an honest mouthfeel and is an easy drink. Better yet its a beer you can share with people as it doesnt have an extreme hop flavor.

As for IPA's I'd love some recommendations. I really enjoyed the Full Sail IPA I tried last night

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #979 of 2,001

Quote:
Had a couple Rogue Dead Guy Ales for the day of the dead.

One of my favorite Ales, nice taste and easy drinking

Tried their chocolate stout last night which was very good, had a Weyerbacher (spelling?) pumpkin ale that night too, very very good pumpkin ale highly recommended to anyone who can still find it (i think its seasonal)

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #980 of 2,001
Quote:
Uncle Erik said:

Eee Pee, I've had a few pints of the Flying Dog Raging B, too! Superb stuff and am lucky I only had to walk across the street to my hotel the last time I got into the stuff.
biggrin.gif

If you enjoy that, see if you can track down Bear Republic's Racer 5. I promise you'll love it. One night after having a few of them, I got out the iPhone and decided that it was so good I had to write and tell them how good it was.

The next day, the guys who brew at Bear Republic emailed me back and were thrilled. Very cool people and excellent IPA!

The 5 is so tasty, if you like it you should try the Dreadnaught IPA if you can find it out west (brewed in Indiana I believe). It's my favorite IPA, though I am far from an IPA vet

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #981 of 2,001
I'm gonna look for some Bells Oarsman tomorrow.  We've a place here in Eugene, the Bier Stein, which serves over a 1000 different beers; perhaps they have some?  Thanks for the recommendation.
Enjoyed some Guiness tonight - watching the freshly poured Guiness pint settle & change color - it's a thing of beauty.
Cheers...

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #982 of 2,001
really I know its not the best stout ever and the following is no the best pale ale. But god dam a black and tan guinnes and bass that is poured properly is just a treat

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #984 of 2,001
This thread makes me sad that I'm 18 and in a country with a ridiculous drinking age. Having spent a month in Germany (living right next Brauerei Weihenstephan, incidentally, the world's oldest brewery and the maker of a great Weißbier) and several weeks in other sane European countries, I deeply enjoy a good microbrew and cannot get one here. That is not to say that one cannot get beer: the underage regularly drink the stuff until they fall over here. But the stuff at the parties around here is not what I would call "beer."  
wink_face.gif

Two and a half more years of waiting for me 
beerchug.gif
. Looks like some great stuff in this thread.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #985 of 2,001

[size=medium]
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/3914

Quote:
Robust in character yet smooth in delivery, Cabin Fever is a roasty brown ale and a hearty, comforting companion for long, mind-bending winters. Its rye, roast and raisin notes play off a subtle caramel sweetness and culminate in a dry finish. Excellent with roasts, stews, caramelized onions and snowfall.

This is on tap in many places in town this past week. If you like brown ale's then you should try this for sure. 

[/size]

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #986 of 2,001
I got these out of my basement last night whle watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

First a Kriek Lindemans 4.3°, wich is a cherrie beer, very light and refreshing
[shameless copy/pasta from beer shop] Fluffy pink-white head sits delicately on top of turbulent rose coloured beer, almost champagne like in appearance. Strong smell of cherries. Huge cherry nose, more sour than sweet. Rather dry finish. Very refreshing.

Second is a Watneys 8° an amazingly good Scotch Ale

Third is a Leffe Bruin 6,5°
[shameless copy/pasta from beer shop] Leffe Brown is a full-bodied and rather fruity abbey beer. The flavour goes from a fruity sweetness to toffee or caramel with some roasted coffee notes, finishing with an oaky dryness. It should always be served in its stylish Leffe chalice-type glass.
A traditional Belgian abbey beer with a deep brown colour and a full, sweet and fruity aroma.
An all-around great beer. Pours a dark, thick brown with a sizable tannish head. A malty aroma is balanced with a nice blend of spice (my comrade and I couldn’t single out any specific kind), both of which are prevalent in the flavor, along with maple, tannin, and berry fruit. Thick-bodied, ideally for the colder months, but, as we found, it can also be enjoyed during the summer. Good stuff.

Sorry for the copy/paste but I'm not that good in explaining things and stuff...

Lindemans_Kriek_beer_25.jpg
Leffe_Bruin_beer.jpg

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #987 of 2,001
I really love that Leffe Blonde, great stuff, almost as tasty as the Chimay White, which I totally love.

As I'm back in Toronto, Ontario, are there any great local beers you guys recommend?  I've tried a few from the LCBO that are local (can't recall the name, threw out the bottles), and have so far been moderately impressed with the selection.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #988 of 2,001

Quote:
I really love that Leffe Blonde, great stuff, almost as tasty as the Chimay White, which I totally love.

As I'm back in Toronto, Ontario, are there any great local beers you guys recommend?  I've tried a few from the LCBO that are local (can't recall the name, threw out the bottles), and have so far been moderately impressed with the selection.

Being in Canada, you should have good access to beers from Unibroue (they have a few Canada only beers), Dieu du Ciel and Trois Mosquitares beers to start.  They are mostly Quebecois based though. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #990 of 2,001
whats your fav unibroue beer?

Quote:
Quote:

Being in Canada, you should have good access to beers from Unibroue (they have a few Canada only beers), Dieu du Ciel and Trois Mosquitares beers to start.  They are mostly Quebecois based though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back