Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #991 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:
I really love that Leffe Blonde, great stuff, almost as tasty as the Chimay White, which I totally love.

As I'm back in Toronto, Ontario, are there any great local beers you guys recommend?  I've tried a few from the LCBO that are local (can't recall the name, threw out the bottles), and have so far been moderately impressed with the selection.

Being in Canada, you should have good access to beers from Unibroue (they have a few Canada only beers), Dieu du Ciel and Trois Mosquitares beers to start.  They are mostly Quebecois based though. 

Don't count on being able to find a lot of Unibroue beers in Ontario LCBOs. We have family in Ontario, and on a recent visit to NY, we had Unibroue beers my nephew had never even heard of in our local grocery store. Beer specialty stores have even more. Because of the Canadian distribution system, it can be very difficult to find beers from other provinces, and especially from smaller breweries. I've largely given up visiting the LCBOs when I visit Canada, there usually just isn't much beyond the mainstream stuff. Occasionally you can find some good stuff, but it's becoming increasingly rare.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #992 of 2,001

Quote:
On another forum I frequent, a couple guys on there say Pliny The Elder is the best, period.  

It's not available in Ohio.  They looked into shipping me some, and found they cannot.

yes!  Pliny the Elder is my favorite but even here in Cali, its as rare as the Beatles butcher block cover.  Some of the others I enjoy are Languanitas HOP ST00PID, Mirror Pond, Anderson Valley IPA, 

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #993 of 2,001

Quote:
Being from the California, my favorite IPA's are Racer 5 and Ballast Point Sculpin.  Pliny the Elder would be my favorite IIPA. 

However, I do like to try different beers and have been drinking my way through the trappist beers right now, working my way toward opening a Westvleteren 12 for my upcoming birthday in a few weeks. 

Been wanting to check that place out. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #994 of 2,001

Quote:
Some of the others I enjoy are Languanitas HOP ST00PID

I absolutely cannot get enough of the Hop Stoopid.  I went on a two week bender of one or two of those a day.  Then realized I'm spending quite a bit of money, so now I'm down to one or two a week and my cheaper $16 30 pack of cans.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #995 of 2,001
I think my favorite Unibroue beer so far has been la Terrible.  Really flavorful Belgian strong dark ale, without allowing the high abv over power it. 

Quote:
whats your fav unibroue beer?

Being in Canada, you should have good access to beers from Unibroue (they have a few Canada only beers), Dieu du Ciel and Trois Mosquitares beers to start.  They are mostly Quebecois based though. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #996 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:

I absolutely cannot get enough of the Hop Stoopid.  I went on a two week bender of one or two of those a day.  Then realized I'm spending quite a bit of money, so now I'm down to one or two a week and my cheaper $16 30 pack of cans.  
biggrin.gif

got one in the chiller right now....think I'll save it for the Warriors game tomorrow.   
I went to the brewery in Petaluma, CA and enjoyed most of thier varieties.  They have some damn good pulled pork samiches too!
Ive been known to enjoy a Silver Bullet or 12....especially after a hard days work or playing sports
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #997 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I'm so jealous.  Here in Australia, almost all beer is piss (yes like Foster's but it's all the same) and shamefully, decent imports are much cheaper than quality local brews.  $16 a case!  That's outrageous.  Over here, the average Aussie wee-wee costs >$32 for 24.  I'd rather brew my own piss thanks.

A largely unknown fact: the vast majority of commercial beer is brewed using maize.  Yes, that's corn.  It's the cheapest crop by volume the world over.  This so-called "beer" brewed with maise is heavily hopped (with rubbish Pride of Ringwood hops here in Australia), to disguise the virtual lack of malted barley.  Some examples that you may be familiar with that contain maise are Corona and Grolsh.  Indeed, much Mexican and Dutch beer is brewed with maise.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #999 of 2,001
$16 for a 30 of Natural Ice is my daily drink.  Not great of course, but not too rough, it's got some alky content (5.9%) and it satisfies the crave, and keeps my money spending in check.  I'd rather drink cheap beer and have expensive toys than drink expensive beer all the time and have no toys.  
biggrin.gif

I got a Hop Stoopid in the fridge keeping cold for a little later.
beerchug.gif

The US is struggling with banning the alcoholic energy drinks, so I had to get at least one more in before they're gone.  They aren't good, but a 12% alky'd caffeinated drink is fun for a while.

Don't mind the RC car stuff in the backround.  That's my other hobby...

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,000 of 2,001
Beer is starting to become a fairly pricey hobby.  While I don't drink more than 2-3 beers a week, I've been purchasing a lot of beer for cellaring.  So plenty of imperial stouts, Belgian styled bottle conditioned beers, barleywines in a dark cool area of my garage right now. 

IPA's I only buy as fresh as I can get them when I intend to drink them as a big part to a positive drinking experience is their fresh hoppy aroma.  I plan to have a few tripels this weekend, Westmalle's tripel, Chimay's Cinq Cents (white label), and La Choufe Houblon Choufe pale ale are in the fridge.  Back up plan is a Great Divide Yeti imperial stout bomber. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,001 of 2,001

Quote:
The US is struggling with banning the alcoholic energy drinks, so I had to get at least one more in before they're gone.  They aren't good, but a 12% alky'd caffeinated drink is fun for a while.

Don't mind the RC car stuff in the backround.  That's my other hobby...

I hope they succeed.  That stuff looks dangerous 
eek.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #1,003 of 2,001
^^ Just imagine what a pack of underage drinkers would do to you while tanked on it.

I'm definitely visiting Belgium next time we're os.  Trappist brews are king.  Chimay Blue may be the best beer in the world.  What say you, Ultrainferno?

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #1,004 of 2,001
has any one tried the new Trader Joes anniversary vintage ale this year? Got a few and for the money they are pretty dang good

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,005 of 2,001

Quote:
Yes, it's quite awful stuff.

Fruit Punch and Watermelon are tolerable.  Barely.  Made me kinda go like this: 
blink.gif

Quote:
 underage drinkers 

That's pretty much the issue at hand, and a part of the reason they're not going to be sold anymore.

Oh well, they were fun while they were around, especially while playing drums on Guitar Hero.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back