Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Oct 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #931 of 2,001
I can't get the 120 in Ohio!  It's a shame!

The 60 was THE spring board that launched me into the IPA bliss.

cool.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #932 of 2,001
120 Minute is, imo, awful. WAAAAY too sweet.

Had my first Founders Breakfast Stout of the season last night. Always a good day.

Also got a bottle of Bell 25th Anniversary and some Whiskey Barrel Aged Ten FIDY.  Cant wait to open those.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #933 of 2,001
DFH 90 minute is underrated in my opinion. It's actually one of my favorites, I just seldom buy it because it's so expensive...I think the price is a little steep for what you get but there's no denying that it's a premium product. The 60 minute, on the other hand, I pretty much can't stand.

I haven't had a beer in months, guys. I live at home and my parents don't allow alcohol in the house because my dad's side of the family has a history of alcohol abuse. It's not a big deal, but I could go for a Stone beer right now! Aren't they coming out with some seasonals right about now?

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #934 of 2,001
Was doing some more beer tasting this weekend at this brewery: 

Good stuff here. I like the Sundog the best, an Amber Ale.

http://newhollandbrew.com/corp/

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #935 of 2,001
Quote:
DFH 90 minute is underrated in my opinion. It's actually one of my favorites, I just seldom buy it because it's so expensive...I think the price is a little steep for what you get but there's no denying that it's a premium product. The 60 minute, on the other hand, I pretty much can't stand.

I haven't had a beer in months, guys. I live at home and my parents don't allow alcohol in the house because my dad's side of the family has a history of alcohol abuse. It's not a big deal, but I could go for a Stone beer right now! Aren't they coming out with some seasonals right about now?

10.10.10 is almost here! If only I would've saved any of the prior years...

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #938 of 2,001

Quote:
New Holland!  Good stuff!

Oh wow you live in Ohio and drink this stuff?? I live like 20 mins away from the brewery lol. 
I'm not big on IPAs so I don't like the Mad Hatter that much.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #940 of 2,001

Quote:
Oh wow you live in Ohio and drink this stuff?

Yep, it's pretty good, nothing extraordinary and a little costly for what it is, but good.

I waited til 1 pm to open my first of the day, a Southern Tier IPA, something I've not had before.

*First sip*

Some pine present, bit malty for my taste, but far from overpowering the hoppiness, finishing with a bitterness that lingers a bit.  I tend to really enjoy floral flavors for some reason, this beer balances the floral with the malt quite well, too balanced maybe.  These will be going down easy.  
biggrin.gif

I also grabbed two from Lagunitas.  Their Lil Sumpin Wild Ale, and the best beer ever created, their Hop Stoopid.
I think it's time to break out the headphones.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #941 of 2,001

Quote:
DFH 90 minute is underrated in my opinion. It's actually one of my favorites, I just seldom buy it because it's so expensive...I think the price is a little steep for what you get

Huh? At 8-10 a 4 pack that stuff is practically free. What other DIPA is in that price range? An almost universally recognized great deal in the beer world.

New Holland is also distributed all over the place, its at the grocery stores in South Carolina. Its a decent beer, but I rarely buy it. It needs to be super fresh, and unfortunately they don;t put dates on the beer. Their Night Tripper imperial stout is great, however.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #942 of 2,001

Quote:

Lucked into getting to hear Sam Calligione talk at the China Institute this past week about a number of beers they've been working on based on biochemically reverse-engineered recipes from millenia old earthenware jugs, the oldest of which, their Chateau Jiahu, is dated at about 7000 bc, establishing it as the oldest known fermented beverage recipe in history.  The latter tastes something like a cross between an icewine, an apple lambic and a fine sake (it's really amazingly good).  One of the things he was mentioning was that, on average, they make the same profit margin on pretty much everything they make, from the 60 minute IPA to the ultra-specialty monthly offerings.  Some, like one beer that I'm blanking on the name of that they age in a cask made of a rare, resin rich Peruvian wood (and it makes it taste like the beer equivalent of absinthe, it's nuts), they actually end up posting a loss on after all's said and done. 

Anyhow, count me in to team BEER-FI (albeit kinda late...better late than never right?)

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #944 of 2,001

Quote:
Some, like one beer that I'm blanking on the name of that they age in a cask made of a rare, resin rich Peruvian wood (and it makes it taste like the beer equivalent of absinthe, it's nuts), they actually end up posting a loss on after all's said and done. 

Anyhow, count me in to team BEER-FI (albeit kinda late...better late than never right?)

That's their Palo Santo Marron, which they have a special aging tank made of Palo Santo wood from Peru. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #945 of 2,001
img0428verticalepic1010.jpg

Stone Brewery - Vertical Epic 10.10.10 (9.5% ABV)
- Light honey aromatics, kinda like a Belgian Ale
- Initial taste is kinda like zest of an Orange peel but it's not orangey
- Light bitterness, not hoppy at all
- Aftertaste is similar, trails to a bit of an odd taste .. coppery mebby?
- Hmmm..not to sure about this years Vertical Epic
- Either my taste buds are all wacked, or it just has abit of an odd taste
- Man, the 9.5% is already getting me lightly buzzed
- I got a 2nd bottle along with this one...I'll give that ago soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back