Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Mar 6, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #931 of 1,494
Almost exclusively on anc except when out in wind where I turn all off and go with passive
My acid test has been 2 rides on the London Underground in rush hour and through Waterloo main line station on to the train towards Porthsmouth with no drop outs at all

That sucks, the electronic store completely paralyzed my unit, and it gets drop outs in sound mode at home. If I could get rid of the drops in sound mode everything would be perfect. I'll try giving it a factory reset...

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #932 of 1,494
That sucks, the electronic store completely paralyzed my unit, and it gets drop outs in sound mode at home. If I could get rid of the drops in sound mode everything would be perfect. I'll try giving it a factory reset...
My usage is very close to nc8000 - anc unless windy and lots of Underground usage. Very occasionally I get drop outs, but we're talking very, very rare. The update on the buds definitely helped with call quality I find.

Good luck with the reset - I am loving my buds and if they do get a codec "upgrade" even better!

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #933 of 1,494
ok, got my new WF-1000MX3 as a replacement to the refurb model I returned due to battery level issue. A couple notes:

1) White is not white nor beige. It's more of a light gray.
2) My prior pair was stuck at 100% battery level even after resetting, reinitializing, and deleting/re-installing the headphone app on iOS.
3) My new pair shows battery level right away when I setup and it had 50% and 20% battery left right out of the box.

I can only conclude that if battery level doesn't work, it's a failure of some kind and not a software issue on the app end. However, I will report back after some extended use since my original pair did work for about a month.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #935 of 1,494
I think I've lost a pair of silicone tips. Anyone got an idea where to get a replacement pair?

I recommend the cp360 by Spinfit.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #936 of 1,494
Wow my new pair of WF-1000XM3 is working out really well. Battery level now works and furthermore, I'm getting nearly 2.5 hours with ANC before hitting 70% with my iPhone as source. This would easily be 6 hours so non-stop coast to coast flight. Based on my personal experience, I probably won't purchase Amazon renewed "refurbished" again unless it is a steep discount. While I was able to return without a problem, it only comes with a 90 day warranty. With the recent price reduction on WF-1000XM3 to $200, the renewed is only $40-50 cheaper.

I hope Sony makes the battery level more granular in future firmware. The 100-70-50-20 increments are pretty crude, especially the first.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #938 of 1,494
Does anyone know that Stable connection mode also results in AAC?

I wonder why is there a need for Sound Quality Mode in this case?
It senses the connection and decides which codec to use. So even if you’re in stable connection and you have a good connection without interference, it gives you the highest possible codec. I think this is a brilliant move by Sony.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #939 of 1,494
It senses the connection and decides which codec to use. So even if you’re in stable connection and you have a good connection without interference, it gives you the highest possible codec. I think this is a brilliant move by Sony.
That makes more sense. Thank you.
I'm so looking forward to the next version :)

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #940 of 1,494
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #941 of 1,494
I love the wonderful 'full' sound that I get from my WF1000XM3's. They are the first IEM that I've had that really sounds like a full-sized headphone. I would love to have APTX but I very much doubt that it will happen.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #942 of 1,494
I recently got these but just can't get on with them. I can't get any real noise cancelling with them no matter what tip I used. I've tried all the tips it comes with, Spinfits, Comply Tx-400 and Comply True Grip Pro. None of them make any difference. I've tried wearing them at different angles. I've tried everything and I'm just amazed and how poor the ANC is compared to what reviews state. Is it just a case of these don't fit my ears and I should give up? I can't see what else I can try at this point and if I'm honest I'm not a big fan of the bass heavy sound signature of these anyway.

I'm wearing them as I type this and when I open the window I can hear everything outside as if I wasn't wearing them. If I put my Etymotics on, I can't hear anything outside. I've got Ambient sound control off and noise cancelling enabled. For the price, these have to be the worst earphones I've ever bought.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #943 of 1,494
I recently got these but just can't get on with them. I can't get any real noise cancelling with them no matter what tip I used. I've tried all the tips it comes with, Spinfits, Comply Tx-400 and Comply True Grip Pro. None of them make any difference. I've tried wearing them at different angles. I've tried everything and I'm just amazed and how poor the ANC is compared to what reviews state. Is it just a case of these don't fit my ears and I should give up? I can't see what else I can try at this point and if I'm honest I'm not a big fan of the bass heavy sound signature of these anyway.

I'm wearing them as I type this and when I open the window I can hear everything outside as if I wasn't wearing them. If I put my Etymotics on, I can't hear anything outside. I've got Ambient sound control off and noise cancelling enabled. For the price, these have to be the worst earphones I've ever bought.

They must either be defective or you are not getting a proper seal, I would rate the isolation at least as good as Etymotics but different (more effective at handling low frequency more or less constant noise like engine rumble)

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #944 of 1,494
They must either be defective or you are not getting a proper seal, I would rate the isolation at least as good as Etymotics but different (more effective at handling low frequency more or less constant noise like engine rumble)

I guess it's the seal then as I've already replaced them once. But then I've tried every tip possible including the third party ones I mentioned including different sizes so I don't see what else I can do at this point. My Etymotics blow them away in isolation and sound quality. The latter point I could overlook for the convenience of no wires in some situations but the former point is a deal breaker.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #945 of 1,494
I have both the WH1000XM2 and the WF1000XM3's (and have previously owned the Etymotics). Whilst the active noise cancelling on the WF"s is not as impressive as the WH's, it's still definitely noticeable in my opinion. Whilst it may compare to the passive noise cancelling capabilities of the Etymotics, you don't get the same 'blocked up' effect - it does take a little getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back