Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Mar 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #961 of 1,494
What’s weird is that the WM1A only plays SBC thru WF1000XM3 although it supports AAC. Why is that so?
I'd need to have a trace to say why but choosing the wrong optional codec is pretty common. Not much you can do to fix it today unless you can force the codec choice manually. The good news is that when Bluetooth LE Audio gets implemented we won't have these sort of issues, hopefully.

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #962 of 1,494
I'd need to have a trace to say why but choosing the wrong optional codec is pretty common. Not much you can do to fix it today unless you can force the codec choice manually. The good news is that when Bluetooth LE Audio gets implemented we won't have these sort of issues, hopefully.

In this case it is because the 1A only supports aac as bt receiver not as bt sender

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #963 of 1,494
In this case it is because the 1A only supports aac as bt receiver not as bt sender
I can confirm that my master&dynamic mw60 connect to 1A using AAC. I see it all the time when I connect.

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #964 of 1,494
I can confirm that my master&dynamic mw60 connect to 1A using AAC. I see it all the time when I connect.

Very strange as the mw60 also don’t support aac, only aptX according to m&d’s web site and all web shops and reviewd

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #965 of 1,494
Very strange as the mw60 also don’t support aac, only aptX according to m&d’s web site and all web shops and reviewd
I replied you in the other thread. My mistake. Yes it connects using aptx.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #966 of 1,494
So, have used these for a couple of hours now, mainly at my gym, which is a loud environment with the gym music & in general people around.

Firstly, these are my first true wireless pair, I've come from Shure 425's, to V-Moda Crossfade, to my current pairing of Westone W30 & Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - so a decent history IMO.

First thing I've noticed & am impressed with, is sound quality. I'm driving these things with an LGV30, though I did use them for an hour with my iPhone 8+, which seems to output more power/volume? I have to Max out the LG almost, both phone volume & the app, where as on my iPhone, a comfortable volume is just over half way on the phone.

Back to sound quality, I've set up a custom EQ, it's clean, bass is present but doesn't overpower or muddy the sound.

I found I got a decent fit & seal with the largest silicon tips & "foam tips" which came with them, but after about 30 minutes of listening, things got a little uncomfortable. I ordered a pair of Comply T400 isolation tips, makes a great amount of difference to the seal, comfort, stability in the ear & sound. Once these tips wear out, should be in a few months, I'll go the Sony true grips.

Should add, I have been turning the noise cancellation off, with the foam tips, I get a good enough seal to block out all outside noise at the gym.

Is there a way to keep NC off by default??

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #967 of 1,494
So, have used these for a couple of hours now, mainly at my gym, which is a loud environment with the gym music & in general people around.

Firstly, these are my first true wireless pair, I've come from Shure 425's, to V-Moda Crossfade, to my current pairing of Westone W30 & Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - so a decent history IMO.

First thing I've noticed & am impressed with, is sound quality. I'm driving these things with an LGV30, though I did use them for an hour with my iPhone 8+, which seems to output more power/volume? I have to Max out the LG almost, both phone volume & the app, where as on my iPhone, a comfortable volume is just over half way on the phone.

Back to sound quality, I've set up a custom EQ, it's clean, bass is present but doesn't overpower or muddy the sound.

I found I got a decent fit & seal with the largest silicon tips & "foam tips" which came with them, but after about 30 minutes of listening, things got a little uncomfortable. I ordered a pair of Comply T400 isolation tips, makes a great amount of difference to the seal, comfort, stability in the ear & sound. Once these tips wear out, should be in a few months, I'll go the Sony true grips.

Should add, I have been turning the noise cancellation off, with the foam tips, I get a good enough seal to block out all outside noise at the gym.

Is there a way to keep NC off by default??

No they always start with nc on

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #968 of 1,494
Sedna Light Short actually fit these perfectly. sounds airy as well :)
20200314_235415.jpg

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #969 of 1,494
I was trying these today again, and it is just funny that these sound better than my Sony WH-1000XM3. The XM4 cannot come soon enough.

But just like the Sony WH-1000XM3 the comfort is bad, which is why I stick to the AirPod Pro in the end and Bose for ANC headphones.

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #970 of 1,494
Software update version 2.3.0 is released. Mainly bug fixes. Sadly, no APTX yet.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #972 of 1,494
It now supports the Sony 360 Real Audio thingy - not much content, but the samples do sound pretty decent.
It already supported 360 Reality Audio prior to this update. I was listening to it on Tidal. Didn’t like the sound much anyway.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #973 of 1,494
It already supported 360 Reality Audio prior to this update. I was listening to it on Tidal. Didn’t like the sound much anyway.

Interesting - not sure why then the update said it now supported it specifically? I do agree not quite a substitution for APTX

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #974 of 1,494
Bought these last week coming from Sennheiser mtw. A major upgrade in terms of almost everything. Have been reading this thread for different tweaks (especially the eq settings posted earlier really helped, thanks!)
Stupid question, though: do you all charge the case using the usb-a to usb-c, or is possible/recomendable to use a usb-c charger (i.e. smartphone charger) in stead? Guess I'm a bit worried about "overcharging".

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #975 of 1,494
Bought these last week coming from Sennheiser mtw. A major upgrade in terms of almost everything. Have been reading this thread for different tweaks (especially the eq settings posted earlier really helped, thanks!)
Stupid question, though: do you all charge the case using the usb-a to usb-c, or is possible/recomendable to use a usb-c charger (i.e. smartphone charger) in stead? Guess I'm a bit worried about "overcharging".

You only have to worry about meeting the minimum power requirement in the manual. There is no scenario where you overcharge. All of the charging controls are inside the battery circuitry so only takes what it needs. If only my kids worked the same way.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back