Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #946 of 1,494
I guess it's the seal then as I've already replaced them once. But then I've tried every tip possible including the third party ones I mentioned including different sizes so I don't see what else I can do at this point. My Etymotics blow them away in isolation and sound quality. The latter point I could overlook for the convenience of no wires in some situations but the former point is a deal breaker.

They can be tricky to fit. None of the suplied tips not SpinFit worked for me but Final E in size LL are great. As for sound nothing sounds like an ER4

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #947 of 1,494
I recently got these but just can't get on with them. I can't get any real noise cancelling with them no matter what tip I used. I've tried all the tips it comes with, Spinfits, Comply Tx-400 and Comply True Grip Pro. None of them make any difference. I've tried wearing them at different angles. I've tried everything and I'm just amazed and how poor the ANC is compared to what reviews state. Is it just a case of these don't fit my ears and I should give up? I can't see what else I can try at this point and if I'm honest I'm not a big fan of the bass heavy sound signature of these anyway.

I'm wearing them as I type this and when I open the window I can hear everything outside as if I wasn't wearing them. If I put my Etymotics on, I can't hear anything outside. I've got Ambient sound control off and noise cancelling enabled. For the price, these have to be the worst earphones I've ever bought.
Hi man, I had your same problem some weeks ago, when I bought a pair of used WH. No ANC noticeable at all, no matter which tip i used, it was not working, definitely. The only thing I noticed was that bass response was darker and deeper when ANC was on.
I spent so much time on Internet trying to understand better why, and i realized that... they were defective. I sold them and bought a brand new one on Amazon. Completely a different world. ANC was working in a very good way (still having a barely noticeable increase in bass responses with ANC on, but for sure not so annoying like the previous pair).

Long story short, sell them and buy a pair on Amazon(if you are still not satisfied, you can return them for free).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #948 of 1,494
To clarify BT codecs, here how it all works:

The short version - use AAC codec and select quality over connection in your WF-1000XM3 settings.
  • Your output device determines which codec it prefers and as long as your source provides it, that will be the default. We can assume that WF-1000XM3 prioritizes AAC for the reasons below. In some cases your source may have advanced BT options where you can manually set the default, forcing your output device to accept it.
  • AAC is both a lossy compression algorithm and BT codec. SBC is only a BT codec.
  • In terms of lossy compression audio performance the order is AAC > MP3 > SBC at the same bit rate. However, most experts agree that 256 AAC = 320 MP3. SBC is the worst performance at any bit rate.
  • If you use SBC connection, your source track will be converted to PCM, then compressed to SBC. If you have a high quality lossless source track this is pretty decent. However, if your source track is already lossy compressed with AAC or MP3, you will essentially be throwing out audio data twice making the end result the worst case.
  • AAC is a more advanced lossy compression scheme that takes a lot more processing than MP3 or SBC. AAC works great on iOS devices, but varies a lot for Android in terms of quality and battery life.
  • Starting with an AAC source using an AAC codec doesn't necessarily mean a bit perfect transmission. The reason for this is that your source could be 256 kbps, but your output device may limit the bit rate to something lower due to distance and power consumption. When that happens, more data gets tossed out for lower audio quality although the algorithm will throw out the "least significant" bits. As long as the bit rate doesn't change too much, most folks will probably not notice the difference. As to the WF-1000XM3, we can assume the ability to prioritize quality over connection provides a much higher tolerance to original bit rates, with the possibility of hearing disruptions occasionally.
  • As far as I know, only Apple Music uses AAC for compressed streaming. All others use MP3 or OGG. The steaming services that support lossless streaming would have the best quality along with Apple Music. All others will have some degradation due to 2X lossy compression.
  • Lastly, if for some reason you want to use SBC, try to use lossless tracks as source so that you only have to lossy compress once. If that's not possible try to get the highest bitrate versions of AAC or MP3 in order to minimize the loss of data when transcoded to SBC.
A few more notes on video playback:
  • All digital video contains lossy compressed audio
  • Lip sync performance tends to be better with AAC versus SBC. iOS devices have built in sync tuning for AAC while Android may or may not.
  • Mobile app performance is generally better than browser based videos.
  • The best codec for video is Aptx-LL, but WF-1000XM3 currently doesn't support.
  • Aptx, Aptx HD, and LDAC all will exhibit high degree of lip sync issues due to their high latency.

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #949 of 1,494
Just received these, I seem to get a good fit/seal with the largest silicon & "foam" tips that come supplied. Sound quality is pretty good, just quickly skipping through some MP3 320K songs & pocket Casts. I've ordered the Comply Isolation T400 foam tips, as I like using the Comply or Shure Olives tips. Will see how they go once I receive them.

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #950 of 1,494
Just received these, I seem to get a good fit/seal with the largest silicon & "foam" tips that come supplied. Sound quality is pretty good, just quickly skipping through some MP3 320K songs & pocket Casts. I've ordered the Comply Isolation T400 foam tips, as I like using the Comply or Shure Olives tips. Will see how they go once I receive them.
I’m not 100% sure but I think sony uses the comply 200s

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #951 of 1,494

Comply makes extra foam tips for these, because the regular ones don't fit in the charging box.

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-truegrip-pro-for-sony-true-wireless-earphones/

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #952 of 1,494
Comply makes extra foam tips for these, because the regular ones don't fit in the charging box.

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/tg-truegrip-pro-for-sony-true-wireless-earphones/
Yes, I've been reading a bit. I ordered the 400's based on some peoples comments on reddit, may just need to squeeze a lil more to close the charging case.. If they are no good, I'll try the truegrip pro... I've read some poor reviews on them though.

I can get the T400's from a local supplier too, I was a little unsure ordering off the comply site where it comes from, with the current state of corona virus delays. I'm in Australia.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #953 of 1,494
I use to use the Comply Truegrips, but now I switched over to the JVC Spiral Dots. The foam just has a weird scratchy feeling I can't quite get over.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #954 of 1,494
I use to use the Comply Truegrips, but now I switched over to the JVC Spiral Dots. The foam just has a weird scratchy feeling I can't quite get over.
I am a big fan of the Shure Olive foam tips I use on my Westone W30 IEM's...

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #955 of 1,494
Yes, I've been reading a bit. I ordered the 400's based on some peoples comments on reddit, may just need to squeeze a lil more to close the charging case.. If they are no good, I'll try the truegrip pro... I've read some poor reviews on them though.

I can get the T400's from a local supplier too, I was a little unsure ordering off the comply site where it comes from, with the current state of corona virus delays. I'm in Australia.

I'm quite happy with mine :) the negative reviews are the usual stuff. People ordering the wrong size or mistreating their stuff and complain about longevity after. I've been using comply products for almost two decades now and never had a problem with any of them.

Yeah we're all in for a treat :wink:

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #956 of 1,494
I'm quite happy with mine :) the negative reviews are the usual stuff. People ordering the wrong size or mistreating their stuff and complain about longevity after. I've been using comply products for almost two decades now and never had a problem with any of them.

Yeah we're all in for a treat :wink:
I have the T-200 isolation tips for my W30 IEM'S in a large... Same fit should apply with the 400?

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #957 of 1,494
To clarify BT codecs, here how it all works:

The short version - use AAC codec and select quality over connection in your WF-1000XM3 settings.
  • Your output device determines which codec it prefers and as long as your source provides it, that will be the default. We can assume that WF-1000XM3 prioritizes AAC for the reasons below. In some cases your source may have advanced BT options where you can manually set the default, forcing your output device to accept it.
  • AAC is both a lossy compression algorithm and BT codec. SBC is only a BT codec.
  • In terms of lossy compression audio performance the order is AAC > MP3 > SBC at the same bit rate. However, most experts agree that 256 AAC = 320 MP3. SBC is the worst performance at any bit rate.
  • If you use SBC connection, your source track will be converted to PCM, then compressed to SBC. If you have a high quality lossless source track this is pretty decent. However, if your source track is already lossy compressed with AAC or MP3, you will essentially be throwing out audio data twice making the end result the worst case.
  • AAC is a more advanced lossy compression scheme that takes a lot more processing than MP3 or SBC. AAC works great on iOS devices, but varies a lot for Android in terms of quality and battery life.
  • Starting with an AAC source using an AAC codec doesn't necessarily mean a bit perfect transmission. The reason for this is that your source could be 256 kbps, but your output device may limit the bit rate to something lower due to distance and power consumption. When that happens, more data gets tossed out for lower audio quality although the algorithm will throw out the "least significant" bits. As long as the bit rate doesn't change too much, most folks will probably not notice the difference. As to the WF-1000XM3, we can assume the ability to prioritize quality over connection provides a much higher tolerance to original bit rates, with the possibility of hearing disruptions occasionally.
  • As far as I know, only Apple Music uses AAC for compressed streaming. All others use MP3 or OGG. The steaming services that support lossless streaming would have the best quality along with Apple Music. All others will have some degradation due to 2X lossy compression.
  • Lastly, if for some reason you want to use SBC, try to use lossless tracks as source so that you only have to lossy compress once. If that's not possible try to get the highest bitrate versions of AAC or MP3 in order to minimize the loss of data when transcoded to SBC.
A few more notes on video playback:
  • All digital video contains lossy compressed audio
  • Lip sync performance tends to be better with AAC versus SBC. iOS devices have built in sync tuning for AAC while Android may or may not.
  • Mobile app performance is generally better than browser based videos.
  • The best codec for video is Aptx-LL, but WF-1000XM3 currently doesn't support.
  • Aptx, Aptx HD, and LDAC all will exhibit high degree of lip sync issues due to their high latency.
Just some further info:
  • Dependent on how the OS/Driver/hardware set up, lots of the AAC gets translated to an intermediate format e.g. PCM, mixed with other audio streams (e.g. alert sounds) and then get reencoded to AAC again for Bluetooth transmission.
  • AAC has been shown to show negligible signs of degradation on a single decode-encode-decode cycle. Rather, in Bluetooth transmission lower quality in AAC normally comes from lower bandwidth, for example the WF-1000XM3 often shows 224Kbps rather than 256Kbps transmission.
  • Lots of Blu-Rays come with fully uncompressed audio
  • Lip-Sync on Bluetooth is typically independent of the codec, rather it is dependent on whether the video player (assuming this is video and not a game or videoconferencing) and the headphone have the ability together to sync the video with audio delays in the headphone/speaker side.
  • The standard iOS player copes really well with audio/video delays. If you go outside this on iOS then it is app dependent and some do a rather average job. If you play through the standard iOS player in the latest versions then there should be no difference between the browser and not, it is just that it is more work on an app to go non-standard, whereas browsers need to work everywhere so have more variability.
  • AptX LL has great latency but is still not sufficient for some of us for lip-sync since it is typically 35ms and humans can detect 15ms difference. It is the best for game sync right now, but be aware that there's tradeoffs in doing low latency in codecs in terms of resiliency, compression and quality.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #958 of 1,494
What’s weird is that the WM1A only plays SBC thru WF1000XM3 although it supports AAC. Why is that so?

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #960 of 1,494
Iam considering getting this IEM . However , after seeing several negative and mixed opinions here , iam confused .:confused:

should i get the sony or do you guys have any alternative for 200$ budget.??

(this will be the highest i will be spending for a headphone previous high was zero audio duoza for 150$ like 5 years ago , i also got an anker soundcore for only like 25$ )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back