Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #916 of 1,494
what I have read is that the hardware Has to be in both devices The headset and the player in order for apt hd to work. I don’t believe there is a software that you can install to make this feature work.
Yes, all this is a bit moot on my iPhone. But would make me use my Sony Walkman more of it happened.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #919 of 1,494
Same here.

Mine was a refurb from Amazon so I returned it. I am buying a new one and will see if that solves the battery indication issue. Actually I'm sort of glad it happened so I could change to a white pair. I did not realize how bad even a small spec of ear wax really shows on the black ones. Will report later on the battery issue.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #920 of 1,494
I've been using these for a few days, and....

1. Whenever I initiate a call through cellular (Android phone), WhatsApp (Android phone) or Skype (Windows 10 laptop) the headphones enable ambient mode (pass-through) even if noise cancelling is chosen. I can still hear a slight difference between the ANC and Ambient mode during the call if I switch back and forth, but the ANC is nowhere near normal ANC performance and taking calls in noisy environment is a pain. Moreover, even in passive mode I hear less background noise than in ANC during calls. And the outside noises don't sound the same as in "real" Ambient mode. I don't have an explanation for this. Is that normal on the latest firmware?

2. I hear voice distortion during cellular calls. I did a factory reset on the headphones, and I'm going to try an iPhone today. But since I'm not going to replace my phone anytime soon, I'd like to make it work with my Note 5. Could it be BT radio interference? I have great connection during music playback without any issues.

Aside from that, and relatively poor microphone, the earphones seem nice. But I'm not ready to deal with the drawbacks like that for the price. Any opinions?

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #921 of 1,494
I've been using these for a few days, and....

1. Whenever I initiate a call through cellular (Android phone), WhatsApp (Android phone) or Skype (Windows 10 laptop) the headphones enable ambient mode (pass-through) even if noise cancelling is chosen. I can still hear a slight difference between the ANC and Ambient mode during the call if I switch back and forth, but the ANC is nowhere near normal ANC performance and taking calls in noisy environment is a pain. Moreover, even in passive mode I hear less background noise than in ANC during calls. And the outside noises don't sound the same as in "real" Ambient mode. I don't have an explanation for this. Is that normal on the latest firmware?

2. I hear voice distortion during cellular calls. I did a factory reset on the headphones, and I'm going to try an iPhone today. But since I'm not going to replace my phone anytime soon, I'd like to make it work with my Note 5. Could it be BT radio interference? I have great connection during music playback without any issues.

Aside from that, and relatively poor microphone, the earphones seem nice. But I'm not ready to deal with the drawbacks like that for the price. Any opinions?

I'm not really into calls so this does not affect me, but I have noticed that the connection of the xm3 is not as good as my other sets, which bothers me given the price.

The new anc Technic buds are due to be released on April 10th, so if you are not in a rush they could be a step up. They don't have APTx either but at least they are rated ipx4 and will come with an app and a nice fancy graphene driver.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #922 of 1,494
I'm not really into calls so this does not affect me, but I have noticed that the connection of the xm3 is not as good as my other sets, which bothers me given the price.

The new anc Technic buds are due to be released on April 10th, so if you are not in a rush they could be a step up. They don't have APTx either but at least they are rated ipx4 and will come with an app and a nice fancy graphene driver.

I also hardly ever use mine for phone calls but the few times I have there have been no problems I'm aware off. I've had no drop outs or connection issues in the 6 months I've owned them. Using with an iPhone8

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #923 of 1,494
I also hardly ever use mine for phone calls but the few times I have there have been no problems I'm aware off. I've had no drop outs or connection issues in the 6 months I've owned them. Using with an iPhone8

Have you had any split second cuts on the right bud only? I have experienced a few when in sound quality priority, and one after 10 hours of listening in stable connection priority. It sounds like the track is skipping but only in the right ear, based on two different sets I tried. With my NT01AX using this phone I never got a single cut out like that.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #924 of 1,494
Have you had any split second cuts on the right bud only? I have experienced a few when in sound quality priority, and one after 10 hours of listening in stable connection priority. It sounds like the track is skipping but only in the right ear, based on two different sets I tried. With my NT01AX using this phone I never got a single cut out like that.

None at all. Had lots with the Beoplay E8 1.0

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #926 of 1,494
Hmm, looks like I have another day of obsessive listening ahead of me.

What mode so you typically listen to? I'm most often on ambient mode myself for work and the wife. Now that I think about it it never cut out in anc mode...

Almost exclusively on anc except when out in wind where I turn all off and go with passive

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #927 of 1,494
Almost exclusively on anc except when out in wind where I turn all off and go with passive
There is a “reduce wind noise” setting in the ambient sound control which you can set and leave it as default ambient sound. So when you tap your left earpiece, it cycles between NC on, reduce wind noise and all off.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #929 of 1,494
There is a “reduce wind noise” setting in the ambient sound control which you can set and leave it as default ambient sound. So when you tap your left earpiece, it cycles between NC on, reduce wind noise and all off.

Yes I’ve tried but in my opinion it’s not much use, still too much wind noice

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #930 of 1,494
Well it looks like my set is shaky, weaker even in stability mode than my the other true wireless sets...I'm not sure how it will stand up to the hot spots at the train station...

My acid test has been 2 rides on the London Underground in rush hour and through Waterloo main line station on to the train towards Porthsmouth with no drop outs at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back