Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #451 of 1,494
I'm trying to decide if it is pilot error on my part or if I have a faulty set. Double tap to skip is my most used gesture and I can rarely get it to work first time, sometimes it registers one for play/pause and others it registers 3 times for the previous track.

I have resorted to just using my phone. I am not a fan of the gestures on my WH M3s either but at least I can get them to work!

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #452 of 1,494
They work fine overall but there is the odd glitch here and there where you need to repeat the action after you hear a beep registering the action and nothing happens.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #453 of 1,494
Getting less and less impressed with these. Fit issues, Bluetooth issues, and can almost never adjust them without touching one or both sensors. 5 hour flight yesterday and ANC was clearly worse than the QC35 and H9i I had with me. Was surprised how little difference there was between the H9i and QC35s. I recall the ANC on the qc20i being much better than these. They also have come out more times in 4 weeks than my Bose SoundSport Free have in over a year. I prefer the sound of those too, and they’re much better for exercise. I feel nervous working out with the Sony when I can even get them to pair.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #454 of 1,494
Getting less and less impressed with these. Fit issues, Bluetooth issues, and can almost never adjust them without touching one or both sensors. 5 hour flight yesterday and ANC was clearly worse than the QC35 and H9i I had with me. Was surprised how little difference there was between the H9i and QC35s. I recall the ANC on the qc20i being much better than these. They also have come out more times in 4 weeks than my Bose SoundSport Free have in over a year. I prefer the sound of those too, and they’re much better for exercise. I feel nervous working out with the Sony when I can even get them to pair.

Strange. Mine pairs automatically every time and and the connection is rock solid and I’ve had no problem with them falling out but then I don’t do vigorous work out, just normal walking and commuting. Yes the anc is not up to the level of the good full size but I don’t think anybody expected that, to me it is certainly plenty good enough for both trains and planes. Sound preference is just that and can’t be argued, I like the Sony sound sig as witnessed by mig signature. Also I have no problem with accidentally touching the control surface when adjusting fit, I just grab the sides when adjusting and come nowhere near the controls

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #455 of 1,494
Anyone comparing over-ear products with this, simply doesn't understand the physics & physiology of it all, imo. A device which gets to entirely cup the ear has a massive head-start & advantage over anything trying to seal the ears, canal-only. The passive-isolation noise floor just starts off lower, full-stop (IMO).

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #456 of 1,494
Is nobody else finding the touch controls borderline unusable?

I've had no issues either, it registers my taps fine and I really like that you can switch the controls over to the left bud.

I'm fussy with fit and adjust all the time - they're not the most comfortable headphones, but they are good enough for me. But I've never had an issue triggering the sensors while adjusting. Not sure how you adjust but holding the edges seem to be fine.

For flying - ANC is good enough for me, actually quite happy with them for that given the form factor. Overheads take up so much space.

As for workouts, I would never use these for that. They've clearly not been designed for exercise.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #457 of 1,494
Purchased recently, and very impressed. They paired immediately, and after several days use, no problems whatsoever, and still using tips that were already fitted. Around house/outside, no time have they felt that they might fall out. These are a keeper.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #458 of 1,494
I didn’t have pairing problems initially, but now as often as not they will actually show as paired and the app shows them as connected but no matter what I do sound won’t play on them and still comes out of the iPhone. Sometimes putting them back in the case and starting over resolves it. Other times it requires both that and rebooting my phone, which is something I only very rarely do with other Bluetooth devices. I do think the sound is quite good, just prefer the Bose overall, which win on comfort too. I didn’t expect them to compete with over ears but did expect them to be at or near 5 years old QC20 ear buds level on a plane. Was hoping I could sleep in them on a plane but silicone ear plugs work better. The ANC like with my PXC 550s is good enough on a plane with music playing.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #459 of 1,494
I'm not impressed with the fit and bulk of the WF1000MX3 but with a good seal they easily beat the QC20 from what I remember (I sent them back because of their performance vs the QC25 and bulk of the remote/battery). Let me qualify that though, with a good seal the WF1000MX3 already cut out a lot with passive isolation so the addition of ANC may not be as impressive as on the QC20 since these are not IEMs and have practically zero passive isolation. So while the ANC of the QC20 might bring a bigger improvement in NR, the overall NR (provided you get a good seal with the Sonys) passive+ANC is going to be a lot better. Now like the Libratone Track Air+ the QC20 are going to be a lot more comfortable and can be worn hours on end.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #460 of 1,494
I'm not impressed with the fit and bulk of the WF1000MX3 but with a good seal they easily beat the QC20 from what I remember (I sent them back because of their performance vs the QC25 and bulk of the remote/battery). Let me qualify that though, with a good seal the WF1000MX3 already cut out a lot with passive isolation so the addition of ANC may not be as impressive as on the QC20 since these are not IEMs and have practically zero passive isolation. So while the ANC of the QC20 might bring a bigger improvement in NR, the overall NR (provided you get a good seal with the Sonys) passive+ANC is going to be a lot better. Now like the Libratone Track Air+ the QC20 are going to be a lot more comfortable and can be worn hours on end.

I've worn the XM3 for over 6 hours straight on an across Denmark train trip with absolutely no discomfort and good isolation

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #461 of 1,494
What a difference a good fit makes! I had been using the silicon tips in large which were a reasonable fit but due to the material would work loose quite quickly meaning they were barely resting in my ears at times.

Received a pair of large Comply T200’s (courtesy of nc8000, thanks!), and the difference is incredible. They are so much more secure, and stay put (although I still wouldn’t want to go running in them). I tried them over the weekend and thought they were OK, but on my commute this morning they were a revelation. With the new tips and the ANC switched on I can no longer hear the stop announcements on the tram and barely any chatter when I’m listening to podcasts. If I listen to music I get totally lost in my own head and pretty much all external noise is covered up, and it’s not due to high volume either.

This is the kind of performance I was hoping for when I got them.

Based on my experience Sony should do away with their own tips and go down the Comply route, they’re so much better.

I suppose I’ll have to get a 3.5mm to BT transmitter for when I’m flying now, plus when using my Nintendo Switch.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #462 of 1,494
Decided to try the Comply TrueGrip Pro anyways I'm mightily impressed. They are more comfortable and feel secure enough now that I'm finally able to go running with them!

The Sony silicon tips fit ok for me but never felt secure enough for running. They would work their way loose.

Also massive improvement in noise isolation and audio quality I was not expected such a difference.

Seems the biggest issue reported by others so far has been with durability. I'm hoping they will last a reasonable amount of time (3mths).

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #465 of 1,494
Has anyone inquired on how battery replacement is going to work for these?

I doubt you’ll be able to replace the battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back