Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #482 of 1,494
I had a problem where the right earbud would make a sort of clicking noise while in a moving vehicle with the ANC turned on. I returned them and bought a new pair and it doesn't have that problem, so I suggest anyone with this issue to do the same.

Sep 25, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #485 of 1,494
The facility of 'following' or not - is a Bluetooth setting on your phone - 'Media volume sync'. On Android phones at any rate.

on iOS there is just one volume

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #486 of 1,494
Hey,
Does any of you use these for phone calls? I had a pair but returned them due to the bad call quality. I really like them otherwise... I'm thinking of getting them another chance, maybe I got a Monday sample last time?
What do you guys think?

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #487 of 1,494
Ive never been a wireless anything guy.. (ESPECIALLY headphones...) but i decided to try the Sonys (WH-1000xm3s) earlier this year and ended up buying my wife a set the day mine arrived... If you travel a LOT and find it a pain to carry a DAC with you (You know who you are), i highly recommend these HPs..

They still arent "Hi-Fi" (although very very close!) grade headphones with a good mobile dac, however you are significantly cutting down on:
A. Complexity = 2 main buttons on headset + the touch interface which is nice and easy!+ Charge port (or can use backup wired input if they die), + Enable bluetooth button on your phone..
VS... DAC (Usb to source=2 ports, 1+ adapter, + another battery inside portable DAC that needs to be charged/monitored, interface to headphones=at least 1 port)
B. Price.. Portable DAC to get LDAC+Tidal quality is going to run at least another 200-500?$ + Accessories you require which sometimes can be very expensive. (Especially if you wanna Bluetooth your DAC if it doesn't have it..)
C. Time (for setup/travel).. If you travel this will mean the most to you which is why you would consider these in the first place.. You know between airport terminals you simply cant be dealing with wires going from a phone to a DAC to a headset and stay focused on your work/travel... Its just a pain in the rear.

I have always been a sennheiser fan (I like the 600/650 series) (My first pair of over ear headphones about 15?yrs ago were the Senn HD280s which i still use for certain things!)

Point is... Never would have bought "Sony" (Or Bose/Any other name like this) headphone before... These are by far a quality product and great for the Air Traveler who just needs to have something simple/noise blocking. This is the 1 time i want active cancellation...

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #488 of 1,494
Hey,
Does any of you use these for phone calls? I had a pair but returned them due to the bad call quality. I really like them otherwise... I'm thinking of getting them another chance, maybe I got a Monday sample last time?
What do you guys think?

The call quality is indeed poor, just like with the original WF-1000x, it's hard to believe Sony can't do better than that, it has to mean they don't care !

Since I'm here I'll post my Pros/Cons of the WF-1000XM3 and Libratone Track Air +

Libratone Track Air+ :
Pros : size, case, weight, decent mics for calls, passive isolation not great but ANC kills low droning sounds, smart ambient mode that turns down music
Cons : only one control per bud, ANC mics always on so can't be used to ride a bike as they pick up wind (need to double check as setting ANC level below 10 might fix that problem), can pop out of ear when talking (even with Complys), sound is "bland" (65t sound "lively" in comparison) and bass light, even with the "bass boosted" setting.

Sonys WF-1000xm3 :
- Pros : Sound is pleasing (deep bass but slightly recessed mids and highs), better passive isolation and better ANC but not on par with QC25 for example, ANC can be turned off so ok for bike riding (no wind noise)
- Cons : Bulk, stick out like a sore thumb, provided tips are poor require Complys for decent fit/seal/comfort/hold and they wear out quick, case is huge, poor mics for calls

I'm not really convinced by either compared to some good comfortable TWS with good isolation, decent sound and excellent mics like the Jabra 65T but if pressed I'd go with the Track Air +

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #489 of 1,494
Hey,
What do you guys think?

Just saw this.. Great point i missed in my post above..

They Phone features works well.. I have asked my wife several times "How do i sound" when using these VS my good headset/or simple phone... She cannot tell the difference between my Sonys and my "good business earpiece" (Sennhesier coincidentally). Same with folks on conference calls, however i have never asked :)

EDIT: (What SteveKiwi said below)

Also those saying they have Call quality issues, are you using Android or IOS or something else?? (I have no issues with my android/call quality.. In fact i would go far to say they are better then many other interfaces i use daily..)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #490 of 1,494
Hey,
What do you guys think?

Yes I use mine for phone calls and Skype/Webex meetings.
I don't have any issues as far as hearing people is concerned, plus noone has ever complained about the call quality from my end.

Trust me if there was a quality issue my clients would most certainly let me know

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #491 of 1,494
Ive never been a wireless anything guy.. (ESPECIALLY headphones...) but i decided to try the Sonys (WH-1000xm3s) earlier this year and ended up buying my wife a set the day mine arrived... If you travel a LOT and find it a pain to carry a DAC with you (You know who you are), i highly recommend these HPs..

They still arent "Hi-Fi" (although very very close!) grade headphones with a good mobile dac, however you are significantly cutting down on:
A. Complexity = 2 main buttons on headset + the touch interface which is nice and easy!+ Charge port (or can use backup wired input if they die), + Enable bluetooth button on your phone..
VS... DAC (Usb to source=2 ports, 1+ adapter, + another battery inside portable DAC that needs to be charged/monitored, interface to headphones=at least 1 port)
B. Price.. Portable DAC to get LDAC+Tidal quality is going to run at least another 200-500?$ + Accessories you require which sometimes can be very expensive. (Especially if you wanna Bluetooth your DAC if it doesn't have it..)
C. Time (for setup/travel).. If you travel this will mean the most to you which is why you would consider these in the first place.. You know between airport terminals you simply cant be dealing with wires going from a phone to a DAC to a headset and stay focused on your work/travel... Its just a pain in the rear.

I have always been a sennheiser fan (I like the 600/650 series) (My first pair of over ear headphones about 15?yrs ago were the Senn HD280s which i still use for certain things!)

Point is... Never would have bought "Sony" (Or Bose/Any other name like this) headphone before... These are by far a quality product and great for the Air Traveler who just needs to have something simple/noise blocking. This is the 1 time i want active cancellation...

I have to agree completely, even bringing the over hear sony xm3 It still can be annoying at times on flights. This has been quite the set of wireless in ears for traveling. I've had them since they launched and other than a constant tip rolling I've not had any real complaints.

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #493 of 1,494
Hey,
What do you guys think?
Tried once on a call and person couldn’t hear me well so never bothered again.

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #494 of 1,494
Might be a stupid question, but how do you keep the ear-tips clean? Just with water? I just got a pair because of all the positive reviews I’ve read, and because I really like the over-ears models. Not typical an in-ear guy, but I’ve decided to give these a chance.

Is there any where I can buy a spare set of the ear-tips? The official that comes in the box?

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #495 of 1,494
Might be a stupid question, but how do you keep the ear-tips clean? Just with water? I just got a pair because of all the positive reviews I’ve read, and because I really like the over-ears models. Not typical an in-ear guy, but I’ve decided to give these a chance.

Is there any where I can buy a spare set of the ear-tips? The official that comes in the box?

The silicone tips can be washed. The hybrid foam Triple Comfort tips can be bought separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back