Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 29, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #497 of 1,494
That hasn’t happened yet. I’ve used them almost exclusively when I don’t or can’t get calls, but yes I’d take them out if one came through with them in. Fortunately phone calls are becoming more and more rare given how much more efficient messaging is. 90% of my music listening is with wired over ears.

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #498 of 1,494
hi, I'm having horrible audio stuttering/glitchy on PC even after latest firmware, now I see Sony has pulled the firmware, I hope they fix it, here's the message regarding the firmware:

IMPORTANT: We apologise for the inconvenience, but this software update has been temporarily suspended.
We are working on the issue and will release the update as soon as possible. (24-09-2019)

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #499 of 1,494
hi, I'm having horrible audio stuttering/glitchy on PC even after latest firmware, now I see Sony has pulled the firmware, I hope they fix it, here's the message regarding the firmware:

IMPORTANT: We apologise for the inconvenience, but this software update has been temporarily suspended.
We are working on the issue and will release the update as soon as possible. (24-09-2019)

the reason they have pulled the fw update is due to problems with iOS 13.1

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #500 of 1,494
the reason they have pulled the fw update is due to problems with iOS 13.1
Ah. I wondered why I have been experiencing problems with my iPhone and the headphones.

How could Sony possibly have foreseen that a new version of iOS would be coming out, despite the betas being released to developers in June of EVERY year?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #501 of 1,494
Ah. I wondered why I have been experiencing problems with my iPhone and the headphones.

How could Sony possibly have foreseen that a new version of iOS would be coming out, despite the betas being released to developers in June of EVERY year?

Well there were no problems with iOS13, it is the latest iOS13.1 update that causes problems

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #504 of 1,494
They can add a better mic quality while they working on the new firmware...

I expect that’s a hardware thing and not a firmware fix

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #506 of 1,494
I’ve recently got the Libratone Track Air+ and I’m still deciding whether I’ll keep them or not. One thing I noticed with the Libratone is that the noise floor varies with the amount of noise cancellation being used between a setting of 0 and 10 (out of 30). The less noise cancelling below 10, the higher the noise floor. More surprisingly, with noise cancellation turned off, the noise floor is the highest.

Does the noise floor from the Sony also varies with the amount of noise cancellation?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #507 of 1,494
Unlike the Libratones that have "levels" the Sonys have three modes : Ambient (with more or less "awareness"), ANC, Passive. There is no noise floor in passive, a low one in ANC and a high one in Ambient.

I have the Track Air + too and the NC level meter is indeed confusing, especially since they haven't bothered so far to come up with a manual, at least that I could find. I realized that for bike riding the ideal setting was 11 as it seems to shut down the mics and block wind noise, that or it specifically cancels out wind noise. If you go higher up it comes back with a vengeance though.

BTW I posted some pros/cons of the Libtratone vs the Sony a few days ago here if you're wondering about how they differ :wink:

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #508 of 1,494
Ambient doesn't have a high noise floor if you set it to the most useful option which is 'wind noise reduction'. It's not a big improvement over passive mode, but it's something when you're walking outside.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #509 of 1,494
Unlike the Libratones that have "levels" the Sonys have three modes : Ambient (with more or less "awareness"), ANC, Passive. There is no noise floor in passive, a low one in ANC and a high one in Ambient.

I have the Track Air + too and the NC level meter is indeed confusing, especially since they haven't bothered so far to come up with a manual, at least that I could find. I realized that for bike riding the ideal setting was 11 as it seems to shut down the mics and block wind noise, that or it specifically cancels out wind noise. If you go higher up it comes back with a vengeance though.

BTW I posted some pros/cons of the Libtratone vs the Sony a few days ago here if you're wondering about how they differ :wink:

Saw your comparison, thanks. The Sony are kind of ugly and the fitment issues various people are reporting make them even less appealing. I’m not a fan of Comply foam tips, so that solution is out of question.

I’m starting to find the Libratone NC settings experience too cumbersome. I wish it had the 3 modes from Sony, with passive having an imperceptible noise floor.

I’ll be checking with Libratone support about this issue. I don’t want to have to wait until next year for Bose to come out with the other true wireless option with noise cancelling that also has a comfortable fit.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #510 of 1,494
Ambient doesn't have a high noise floor if you set it to the most useful option which is 'wind noise reduction'. It's not a big improvement over passive mode, but it's something when you're walking outside.

In wind I use passive mode as both anc and ambient no matter sub setting is highly affected by the wind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back