Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #421 of 1,494
After a couple of flights my verdict is that these are fine for flying.

The noise canceling cuts out engine noise to an acceptable level, I would say these provide 75-80% the isolation of the full size XM3s.

I am still somewhat surprised that the most balanced wireless sound is coming from Sony TW earbuds. There is no overbloated bass like on every other ANC earbud or headphone I tried, and I tried a good number of them.

Comfort is ok, I really like that I can tilt my head and snooze with these on the plane which is not possible with full sized headphones. And these sound better (at least more balanced) to my ears than the XM3 headphones.

These are for sure the best true wireless option for now as far as overall comfort and sound goes.

And the problems:

It is hard to find comfortable ear tips. Nothing really works for me from the box and I am reluctant to spend another £10-40 on different tips that might work better.

I don't like the look. They remind me to the Bluetooth headsets from 10-20 years ago. Some people thought those were cool. I didn't.

If I could improve one thing on the sound that would be bass detail, resolution and extension. Bass quantity is surprisingly fine. All in all sound quality is good for what it is.

And a question at the end:
Why on earth is the sound thin in the first 60 seconds every time I start playing? After about 60 secs there is always a change when the sound gets fuller.

Edit: I forgot to add, that the touch controls are pretty poor.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #422 of 1,494
Yep, comfort and seal is a problem if you move around...I've solved the seal problem by putting some foam (from disposable ear plugs) into some large Sony tips I had lying around. It doesn't work with the silicone tips they come with for some reason.

Haven't noticed that 60 second delay but do notice a significant different in the "color" between ANC on and off. The sound is much "fuller" with ANC on, anyone else ?

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #423 of 1,494
After a couple of flights my verdict is that these are fine for flying.

The noise canceling cuts out engine noise to an acceptable level, I would say these provide 75-80% the isolation of the full size XM3s.

I am still somewhat surprised that the most balanced wireless sound is coming from Sony TW earbuds. There is no overbloated bass like on every other ANC earbud or headphone I tried, and I tried a good number of them.

Comfort is ok, I really like that I can tilt my head and snooze with these on the plane which is not possible with full sized headphones. And these sound better (at least more balanced) to my ears than the XM3 headphones.

These are for sure the best true wireless option for now as far as overall comfort and sound goes.

And the problems:

It is hard to find comfortable ear tips. Nothing really works for me from the box and I am reluctant to spend another £10-40 on different tips that might work better.

I don't like the look. They remind me to the Bluetooth headsets from 10-20 years ago. Some people thought those were cool. I didn't.

If I could improve one thing on the sound that would be bass detail, resolution and extension. Bass quantity is surprisingly fine. All in all sound quality is good for what it is.

And a question at the end:
Why on earth is the sound thin in the first 60 seconds every time I start playing? After about 60 secs there is always a change when the sound gets fuller.

My guess about the fuller sound is the tips warming up and providing a better fit and seal. I notice this as well

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #424 of 1,494

I found this to be the case as well. The M3 is surprisingly balance out of the box.

I suppose it is because they are targeting a more mature, business-type audience so they distance away from a bass heavy tune which are generally more for a younger audience.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #425 of 1,494
I found this to be the case as well. The M3 is surprisingly balance out of the box.

I suppose it is because they are targeting a more mature, business-type audience so they distance away from a bass heavy tune which are generally more for a younger audience.

Yup

And got the extra bass model out already. Similar build. Not quite as nice but about 100$ less for those looking for it(more bass).

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #426 of 1,494
My guess about the fuller sound is the tips warming up and providing a better fit and seal. I notice this as well
That's not the case. It also happens when I skip songs. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most of my files are FLAC?

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #427 of 1,494
That's not the case. It also happens when I skip songs. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most of my files are FLAC?

I don’t know. For me the sound settles within the first 60 seconds of putting them in and then does not change after that. All the music on my phone is 320kb aac to get room for a bigger selection

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #428 of 1,494
Anyone have experience with the WF1000XM3 and the WI1000X? I own the WI1000X already and am curious how the WF model sounds in comparison.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #430 of 1,494
Anyone have experience with the WF1000XM3 and the WI1000X? I own the WI1000X already and am curious how the WF model sounds in comparison.
I do - & the WF is IMO superior on all counts. I was determined to keep the WI in my life, keep it assigned, needed - however, there's simply nothing the WI does better, & indeed, the WF is superior on all counts - noise cancelling, Ambient noise, & sound quality. IMO.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #431 of 1,494
Random pointer - my WF-1000XM3 was defaulting to SBC a lot. You could force AAC through the phone's Developer options (Android, Samsung, in my case) - however I recall it used to just stick to AAC as default.

So the reason was - in the overarching Sony Music Connect app (not the Sony Headphones app) - the Bluetooth Output mode I had unticked 'Use LDAC when possible' (seeing as LDAC can't apply) - & in doing so, it seems to take it as a command to default to the lowest-quality codec. Put another way, ticking LDAC causes it to default to the highest-quality codec possible (AAC). FYI!

Sep 15, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #432 of 1,494
I do - & the WF is IMO superior on all counts. I was determined to keep the WI in my life, keep it assigned, needed - however, there's simply nothing the WI does better, & indeed, the WF is superior on all counts - noise cancelling, Ambient noise, & sound quality. IMO.

LOL, I was hoping and afraid this was the case. I like the WI noise cancelling. But was amazed at how much sound was missing in the mids and treble as compared to other headphones. It has LDAC but several BT products I own that don't still sound better. I also find the noise cancelling a bit to wind prone for my liking.

How is the WF in regards to wind?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #433 of 1,494
LOL, I hoping and afraid this was the case. I like the WI noise cancelling. But was amazed at how much sound was missing in the mids and treble as compared to other headphones. It has LDAC but several BT products I own that don't still sound better. I also find the noise cancelling a bit to wind prone for my liking.

How is the WF in regards to wind?

Wind is fairly noticable

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #434 of 1,494
That's to bad, it is one of the biggest issues for me as I live in a windy area and walk outside a lot. Still might have to give these a try at some point. The good news for me is they are hard to find here in Canada so I have been able to avoid temptation so far LOL.

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #435 of 1,494
Been using my WI a bit more the past 2 days and indoors, I really appreciate the ANC...

Hey, if you turn off ANC does it help with wind? Or do these simply only sound great with ANC on?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back