Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Sep 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #436 of 1,494
Yes without ANC there is very little wind noise, even riding a bike. With ANC on you need to have the mics on and of course they will pick up wind. I actually find the sound a bit better balanced without ANC as it "colors" it quite a bit when it's turned on. I just got the only other TWS with ANC, the Libratone Track Air + and the mics are always on so that's a problem for wind noise...Well of course I have other TWS I can use to ride my bike :wink:

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #437 of 1,494
LOL, I hoping and afraid this was the case. I like the WI noise cancelling. But was amazed at how much sound was missing in the mids and treble as compared to other headphones. It has LDAC but several BT products I own that don't still sound better. I also find the noise cancelling a bit to wind prone for my liking.

How is the WF in regards to wind?
Can't comment on the wind noise aspect, as have only used indoors/in-car so far.

LDAC - I also obsessed about this a lot, & loved that my Samsung could speak to the WH-1000XM3 in LDAC. However - & deeply ironically for me - the WF-1000XM3 sound is so stupendous (clarity, resolution, etc) - that it made me realise that (esp at my age - 45), LDAC wasn't bringing anything of note to the party! So much so that I dropped it from the WH-1000XM3 (in order to use the Sony equaliser - it forces this) - & now the LDAC-free WH-1000XM3s are sounding better to my ears, by a good margin - which is of course the point of 'EQ'ing. I forget which codec it's dropping down to, but it's fine by my quasi-audiophile ears. Oddly - the Sony Connect app, for the WFs, allows 'Priority on Sound Quality' to remain active/ticked, whilst still being able to play with its equaliser. However with the WH connected, it demands 'Priority on Stable Connection', in order to play with the EQ. I wonder if somehow the WFs possess an implementation therefore, newer & 'superior' to the WHs, whereby you get to play with the equaliser, and have higher 'sound quality' - which would be AAC, versus whatever the WH steps down to.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #438 of 1,494
OK, now I am going to have sell a bunch of stuff so I can buy these. They really do sound like what I have looking for especially if I can get good sound quality with ANC off to reduce wind noise while outside.

Need to win the darn lottery lol...

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #440 of 1,494
The WI has that feature. It helps but doesnt completely remove wind noise. But maybe the WF is better at it as well.

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #443 of 1,494
The WI has that feature. It helps but doesnt completely remove wind noise. But maybe the WF is better at it as well.
It removes most of the wind noise. There is a different sound compared to 100% NC on, as there is processing to cancel the wind noise. Ambient sound off has no NC, and microphone is disabled, so you do not hear the wind noise, but you hear some outside sound, depending on how good the eartip passive sound isolation is, and how noisy the surroundings are.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #444 of 1,494
That sounds a lot like the WI1000X in regards to the wind reduction.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #449 of 1,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back