Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,927 of 4,326
The next argument will be it's different if you just hear it or if you own it. DMP-Z1 owners accept nothing else besides the DMP-Z1. It's the most expensive so it's the best.

How much did you pay for your desktop amp? Less than 9000€? So it has to be worse.

And if someone else invents an more expensive device, it's insane and not worth its money and you should rather save money by getting the better DMP-Z1.

You're just wasting your time here. This thread is not to discuss the DMP-Z1 but praise it's allmighty glory.

Are you praising the DMP-Z1? No? So you have no right to be here. You're just jealous that you can't afford the DMP-Z1, there is no other way.

The DMP-Z1 sound the better the more you payed for it, so it can never sound good if you just test drive it because you haven't payed for it.
Don’t feed the crazy narc/troll/orc

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,930 of 4,326
It’s odd ( or I should say, not so odd ! ) that the people that have listened to it “many times” or have rented it, have the most to say about it.
I dont usually review too soon. I wait for buen in to settle down to finally say something. So far i could say it’s opening up, maturing very nice.

Uewterdau spent liatening to some Mozart symphonies and Concert Arias. A thing i wanted to say os that i perceive no distortion wirh highly demanding operistic passages f.e. When a singer sings loud with vibrato/tremolo suprisingly wow. For example when the concert aria “Popoli di Tessaglia.” K 316 (200b) accelerates to Allegro assai, there is some demanding passage woth a sudden pitvh raise together with abeupt volume change from the voice as she is lamenting. No distortion wow, after this is more amazing when the soprano goes from an F4 to a G6 (two octaves above) with such a clarity

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,931 of 4,326
I dont usually review too soon. I wait for buen in to settle down to finally say something. So far i could say it’s opening up, maturing very nice.

Uewterdau spent liatening to some Mozart symphonies and Concert Arias. A thing i wanted to say os that i perceive no distortion wirh highly demanding operistic passages f.e. When a singer sings loud with vibrato/tremolo suprisingly wow. For example when the concert aria “Popoli di Tessaglia.” K 316 (200b) accelerates to Allegro assai, there is some demanding passage woth a sudden pitvh raise together with abeupt volume change from the voice as she is lamenting. No distortion wow, after this is more amazing when the soprano goes from an F4 to a G6 (two octaves above) with such a clarity

Yes, I find there’s no distortion no matter how high the high is.

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,932 of 4,326
Yes, I find there’s no distortion no matter how high the high is.
The voice diatortions i heatd on my WM1A i theoritize they are introduced by the S-Master DAC as it cannot cope with sich abrupt chqnges in volume (from normal/pianissino to a fortissimo) or sudden pitch variations. As there is no real analog amplifier stage on the WM1A/Z other than a LPG Compised of the induztor coils and vapacitors i am not sure where really the diatortions occur.

But the DMP has sich a clear rendition of the sound no matter what comes be it a solo flute or a drmanding orchestral operistic passage , it renders crystal clear

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,933 of 4,326
The next argument will be it's different if you just hear it or if you own it. DMP-Z1 owners accept nothing else besides the DMP-Z1. It's the most expensive so it's the best.

How much did you pay for your desktop amp? Less than 9000€? So it has to be worse.

And if someone else invents an more expensive device, it's insane and not worth its money and you should rather save money by getting the better DMP-Z1.

You're just wasting your time here. This thread is not to discuss the DMP-Z1 but praise it's allmighty glory.

Are you praising the DMP-Z1? No? So you have no right to be here. You're just jealous that you can't afford the DMP-Z1, there is no other way.

The DMP-Z1 sound the better the more you payed for it, so it can never sound good if you just test drive it because you haven't payed for it.
Really? Why are you here? No offense but when I find myself in a room that stank, you’d not find me coming back! You might want to try that. 😊

For the record, I don’t think the DMP-Z1 is the best, far from 'end game', if there’s even such a thing, by any stretch of the word. It serves my purpose; not cheap, not expensive either (you need to get out more if you think $9000 is exorbitant for hifi gear). If you can afford it, I’d say, go for it, you won’t regret the endless hours of pleasure it will give you. But if you cannot or will not spend the money, no problem! You won’t be short for choice in today’s marketplace that will tickle all your funny bones.

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,935 of 4,326
Really? Why are you here? No offense but when I find myself in a room that stank, you’d not find me coming back! You might want to try that. 😊

For the record, I don’t think the DMP-Z1 is the best, far from 'end game', if there’s even such a thing, by any stretch of the word. It serves my purpose; not cheap, not expensive either (you need to get out more if you think $9000 is exorbitant for hifi gear). If you can afford it, I’d say, go for it, you won’t regret the endless hours of pleasure it will give you. But if you cannot or will not spend the money, no problem! You won’t be short for choice in today’s marketplace that will tickle all your funny bones.
The DMP-Z1 an interesting device and I like it. And from time to time there are sane people here.

As long someone doesn't take this thread too serious, why not be here?

It is important that someone is here for the people who are actually interest in the device to get some reliable informations that are more than feelings and a believe.

For example the good old "High gain sounds better" myth. Always a classic and you have to admit, it is amusing that people pay 9000€ for an DAP and use it in the worst quality setting it offers because they believe into a myth :D maybe I'm a bad person but this always gives me chuckles.

But at least I have the courtesy to tell those people "hey, it's a myth, don't do that because it lowers the quality" and I even post Datasheet from the company who developed the Amp chip that says exactly that. Sure some people here still would disagree even if the Sony engineering team would post a statement saying that and be sure they lie for whatever reason. But if just one person stops using the unneeded use of high gain, it's already a success.

Why not help the people that actually accept help and want it? Because there people who are offended by it because they will lose their credibility?
far from 'end game', if there’s even such a thing
For achromatic amps, there is a Endgame. For chromatic amps I'd say that's impossible due to the nature of the product itself.

Of course a lot of people are not into achromatic amps but if someone is looking for the best sonic performance, no matter what, it's THX AAA.

And if someone looks into this forum because he is seriously interested into the device to get more informations about the device and only finds people who think they can hear 24bit and that High Gain sounds better...

The DMP-Z1 is an engineering marvel and deserves more than an religious cult that follows it, imho so even if the cult is strong in here, why not be here? Because people feel offended by facts? I think that would definitely send the wrong signal to the people who are interested into the DMP-Z1 because it actually suits their usecase

This would not be the first time that people would stop using Sony products because they are afraid that people would assisiate then with the cult. Sony devices are good enough to deserve more than fanboys.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,936 of 4,326
The DMP-Z1 an interesting device and I like it. And from time to time there are sane people here.

As long someone doesn't take this thread too serious, why not be here?

It is important that someone is here for the people who are actually interest in the device to get some reliable informations that are more than feelings and a believe.

For example the good old "High gain sounds better" myth. Always a classic and you have to admit, it is amusing that people pay 9000€ for an DAP and use it in the worst quality setting it offers because they believe into a myth :D maybe I'm a bad person but this always gives me chuckles.

But at least I have the courtesy to tell those people "hey, it's a myth, don't do that because it lowers the quality" and I even post Datasheet from the company who developed the Amp chip that says exactly that. Sure some people here still would disagree even if the Sony engineering team would post a statement saying that and be sure they lie for whatever reason. But if just one person stops using the unneeded use of high gain, it's already a success.

Why not help the people that actually accept help and want it? Because there people who are offended by it because they will lose their credibility?

For achromatic amps, there is a Endgame. For chromatic amps I'd say that's impossible due to the nature of the product itself.

Of course a lot of people are not into achromatic amps but if someone is looking for the best sonic performance, no matter what, it's THX AAA.

And if someone looks into this forum because he is seriously interested into the device to get more informations about the device and only finds people who think they can hear 24bit and that High Gain sounds better...

The DMP-Z1 is an engineering marvel and deserves more than an religious cult that follows it, imho so even if the cult is strong in here, why not be here? Because people feel offended by facts? I think that would definitely send the wrong signal to the people who are interested into the DMP-Z1 because it actually suits their usecase

This would not be the first time that people would stop using Sony products because they are afraid that people would assisiate then with the cult. Sony devices are good enough to deserve more than fanboys.
I hear you. I think. Key point -- don't take this thread, or any other, too seriously.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,937 of 4,326
The reasons are twofold.

1. To spend 9k on portable unit involves an act of devotion to the Sony brand which is analogous to being a cult member (because, after all, you're not paying for sound performance but for being peak Sony).
2. This commitment carries with it anxiety about whether the chosen path is the correct one. To fend off buyer's remorse, a certain degree of psychological gymastatics are required, which manifests itself as defensive behaviour.

The results: thorny users.r
After all, I did pay for the sound performance. Was looking for the amp and auditioned quite a few. As a result, DMP-Z1 was my pick to pair with Hifiman HE1000V2 (power hungry headphones). In short, DMP-Z1 won for blacker background, super-super clean sound (must say to the point of addiction), DEEP bass (also addictive for its definition and timbre), let alone the overall tonality (the Sony DNA).

I am super happy, and having no remorse for buying DMP over Chord Hugo TT2 (the cheaper toy, that could've saved me about USD 4,000).

Attachments

• 20210824_120634.jpg
    20210824_120634.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210824_120632.jpg
    20210824_120632.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210824_120628.jpg
    20210824_120628.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210824_120626.jpg
    20210824_120626.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210824_120636.jpg
    20210824_120636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,938 of 4,326
After all, I did pay for the sound performance. Was looking for the amp and auditioned quite a few. As a result, DMP-Z1 was my pick to pair with Hifiman HE1000V2 (power hungry headphones). In short, DMP-Z1 won for blacker background, super-super clean sound (must say to the point of addiction), DEEP bass (also addictive for its definition and timbre), let alone the overall tonality (the Sony DNA).

I am super happy, and having no remorse for buying DMP over Chord Hugo TT2 (the cheaper toy, that could've saved me about USD 4,000).
When you say you were looking dor the amp. Was it the TA-ZH1ES?

I dis try the TA and the SMP and for me too the SMP WON. I also tried other DAPs likeibasso 300 abd a SP2K. DMP still has the best perf, and that is the reason i got it.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,939 of 4,326
It's not me saying that there is only a marginal to no difference, it's the guys who develop and build that at Sony. They claim it in the linked sources.

Since you like to share so much reliable facts and information, do you mind following up to your claim that the Sony engineers said there’s marginal to no difference between DMP and TA-zh1es?
Someone checked your link sources but could not verify what you said.

Or is “I have to recheck the sources, maybe it was at a other interview (they gave meetings with owners and lots of others stuff)” good enough for you to quote the Sony engineers to support your fact?

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,940 of 4,326
DMP can not drive Susvara. At the store, I connected DMP to cayin HA-300 via 3.5mm to RCA, then susvara via SE. i had to turn DMP close to max (high gain) and HA-300 to 3 oclock (medium gain) to get to my normal listening volume. I think LCD5 would be a better match with DMP.
Thanks for letting me know! I am also eying LCD-5 to try out. I did audition LCD-4z in comparison to Hifiman HE1000V2, the latter won for detail retrieval, but lost in the bass territory. Do you on anyone knows of a store in the US that has LCD-5 to try out? Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back