Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,896 of 4,317
Just turn the screen off for about 15-30 seconds before doing anything like seemingly disconnecting the AC source, like you did last time.

For now I skipped that step, just to see how it goes. If it still happens, I’ll do as you suggest. It seems that @gerelmx1986 has had the same issue. I think it is very likely happening because of powering off too soon & switching back on too soon ??

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,897 of 4,317
In the last couple of days ive been using exclusively the MDR-Z1R as i got a cold and i dear forgetting thqt i hqve an IEM on my eqrs and blowing my nose with qn IEM on the eqrs will damage my ear drums.

And the sound quality is amazing very larg and holographic soundstage and reference sound with good trwble extension and a clean bass that rhumps
i think you meant IER-Z1R ?

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,898 of 4,317
For now I skipped that step, just to see how it goes. If it still happens, I’ll do as you suggest. It seems that @gerelmx1986 has had the same issue. I think it is very likely happening because of powering off too soon & switching back on too soon ??

No idea honestly, I just know that settings (including hours played) are saved usually when turning off the screen (after about 15-30 seconds), or when turning off the player.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,901 of 4,317
I wondered that to ? I really don’t like the Z1R’s a good match. As I’ve said, my Sony 1AM2’s sound amazing. I can’t tolerate in ear phones.
sony used the same end part of the name for 2 different earphones, "Z1R" :) - not a good idea?! - have seen so many forums where they write about the "Z1R" but while the one goes down into the MDR over ear discussion, the other was discussing the IER :-D - and this came out later like after 40x back and forth 🙃

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,902 of 4,317
At least Alps and AKM are japanese . There’s a reason why sony went AKM and not american DACs (sabre and cirrus) which sound bad to my ears.
They do use TI TPA which is better than your typically used OPA (op amp)
Sony uses ESS DACs in pretty much all other of its products including the PHA-3

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,903 of 4,317
sony used the same end part of the name for 2 different earphones, "Z1R" :) - not a good idea?! - have seen so many forums where they write about the "Z1R" but while the one goes down into the MDR over ear discussion, the other was discussing the IER :-D - and this came out later like after 40x back and forth 🙃

Sorry, I normally type Sony MDR-Z1R but i’m in lazy mode…..

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,904 of 4,317
While the volume knob of the DMP-Z1 is based on the RK501 it is a fully customised part requested by Sony and is not available as an OEM part from Alps, in fact with the collaboration the people at Alps wanted to use the know-how gained from the customisation in their own parts. And no it's not just brass plus gold plated, it's actually brass plated with copper and then plated with gold - a method Sony used while making the WM1Z which Alps didn't for the stock RK501. Also the Kimber Kable used in the Sony devices are more like Sony made with technology licensed from Kimber rather than straight from Kimber themselves.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/181101/?s_pid=jp_audio_product_201811_feature_1

EDIT: Also I must add that there's nothing exotic about the Chord Hugo TT2 hardware - the Chord magic lies in Rob Watt's D to A software, the FPGA chip used in Chord products are "off the shelf" just as well (a common Xilinx FPGA chip which anyone can purchase, but is useless as a DAC since, well, you don't have Rob Watt's source code). If you count custom D to A/signal resampling software as exotic, then Sony's own inhouse DSD remastering engine (remember, DSD is created by Sony) in the DMP-Z1 would qualify it as being "exotic" as well.

EDIT2: Also the knob on the outside of the device is just a cosmetic cap which is plastic with the gold plating - it's not actually the Alps knob which is fully housed inside the device. So you can't actually clean the actual RK501 custom volume knob FWIW.
Fully customised? Really? The linked article states that they tried to customize it and failed because the original one sounded the best and so they gave up. Maybe we have different definitions of "Fully Customised". For me, doing minor adjustments that doesn't matter to be able to implement it in the device is not fully customised.

And yes the Kimber Cable is just Co Engineering by Kimber but what is the point here?

This really is nitpicking the hard level and why do discussions about the DMP-Z1 always feel like I'm discussing with an religious cult.

Sony buys the DAC, the Amp and the volume knob of the shelve and your argument is "But Chord bought the FPGA". What level of arguing is this?

It's just a music player, gosh. It's not a holy grail. There are devices that measure better and if you prefer achromatic amps, there are devices that sound better too.

Just because it sells for 9000€ doesn't mean it's the best. The high MSRP doesn't make it sound better

So you can't actually clean the actual RK501 custom volume knob FWIW
Still people please clean the gold coating or it will deteriorate.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,905 of 4,317
So i powered ich do n after selevting the albim to play next day (today€ and n fo the the greem light po the red nack on i diwconnected the AC source to store the player on hos case

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #2,906 of 4,317
So i powered ich do n after selevting the albim to play next day (today€ and n fo the the greem light po the red nack on i diwconnected the AC source to store the player on hos case

Yes, as I’ve said I’m just letting the player shut down itself, before then unplugging the power cable.

( The Narc’s back - they always come back, time & again. )

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2,907 of 4,317
Does anyone have any experience with paring Hifiman Susvara and DMP-Z1? I am thinking of Susvara as an upgrade to my HE1000V2. I am willing to travel across the US to audition Susvara if someone knows a store that has it currently on display.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #2,908 of 4,317
This really is nitpicking the hard level and why do discussions about the DMP-Z1 always feel like I'm discussing with an religious cult.
The reasons are twofold.

1. To spend 9k on portable unit involves an act of devotion to the Sony brand which is analogous to being a cult member (because, after all, you're not paying for sound performance but for being peak Sony).
2. This commitment carries with it anxiety about whether the chosen path is the correct one. To fend off buyer's remorse, a certain degree of psychological gymastatics are required, which manifests itself as defensive behaviour.

The results: thorny users.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,909 of 4,317
The reasons are twofold.

1. To spend 9k on portable unit involves an act of devotion to the Sony brand which is analogous to being a cult member (because, after all, you're not paying for sound performance but for being peak Sony).
2. This commitment carries with it anxiety about whether the chosen path is the correct one. To fend off buyer's remorse, a certain degree of psychological gymastatics are required, which manifests itself as defensive behaviour.

Please do not presume to judge every DMP-Z1 owner as such; frankly, it’s quite offensive. There will always be fan boys, doesn’t matter the brand, model, even object, living or dead! Equally, there will also always be trolls. When passionate people clash over subjective matters, it is inevitable for fanaticism and maturity, in inverse ratio, to show up in the conversation. Nothing wrong with that, always something to be learned.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2,910 of 4,317
The reasons are twofold.

I’m not sure if you’re being supportive or critical of the “narcissist rental user” or the people that actually own & enjoy the device ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back