Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 29, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,881 of 4,312
Thanks for your reply. I tend to leave settings & everything as it is & switch off in the same manner each time. Perhaps I should wait a little longer before I unplug ?

Perhaps I should just let it automatically switch off, rather than powering off, as I think you’re indicating ? I.e. not forcefully restarting the player.

It’s really messing up my true hours played, which is annoying, if I had O.C.D. ( Perhaps I do ! ?? )

Maybe try turning off the screen for about 30 seconds of so before doing anything you suspect might have something to do with hours not being saved.

Of course, for BT receiver or USB DAC mode hours will not be counted.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,882 of 4,312
Are you saying the TT2 is made of exotic hardware??? The DMP Z1 is made of gold.
Exotic Hardware means something that is developed by the creator of the device, not that it uses rare earths.

The Volume Knob from the DMP-Z1 is from Alps, the DAC is from AKM and the Amp is from Ti and the Cables are from Kimber. Its not developed by Sony, Sony bought it and put it into the DMP-Z1. That is why those components are not considered exotic, which is unrelated to if Alps, AKM or Ti use exotic materials in their products.

The Volume Knob is made of brass by the way, its just gold plated. That is actually important because you can destroy the gold coating by not cleaning it due to oxidation.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #2,883 of 4,312
The Volume Knob is made of brass by the way, its just gold plated. That is actually important because you can destroy the gold coating by not cleaning it due to oxidation.
i didn't know that. good to know.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,884 of 4,312
Exotic Hardware means something that is developed by the creator of the device, not that it uses rare earths.

The Volume Knob from the DMP-Z1 is from Alps, the DAC is from AKM and the Amp is from Ti and the Cables are from Kimber. Its not developed by Sony, Sony bought it and put it into the DMP-Z1. That is why those components are not considered exotic, which is unrelated to if Alps, AKM or Ti use exotic materials in their products.

Ok good point. I still think the DMP-Z1 is built better and what about the sound? Having owned both I would choose the DMP-Z1 as a better functioning and sounding device. TT2 really overrated. I would even choose the TA-Z1hes over it; by your definition it has ”exotic hardware”.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,885 of 4,312
Maybe try turning off the screen for about 30 seconds of so before doing anything you suspect might have something to do with hours not being saved.

Of course, for BT receiver or USB DAC mode hours will not be counted.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. I’m going to be vigilant to check the hours now, each time I start to play the device, but of course if it goes plays back from where I left off the night before, then it doesn’t matter how vigilant I am !

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,886 of 4,312
Ok good point. I still think the DMP-Z1 is built better and what about the sound? Having owned both I would choose the DMP-Z1 as a better functioning and sounding device. TT2 really overrated. I would even choose the TA-Z1hes over it; by your definition it has ”exotic hardware”.
TA-ZH1ES counts as exotic, yes.

Not everyone likes every sound. I for example do enjoy achromatic amps because they often provide much higher technical performance, but a lot of people don't.

The best Amp is worth nothing if you don't like the sound.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,887 of 4,312

Can I suggest better definitions? Chord is founded and made by passionate engineers, I'd call that artisan, while DMP-Z1, being from the Sony conglomerate, is niche commercial market.

Doesn't make either better or worse. FWIW, I didn't think Chord is getting more attention than Sony, brand or models, in a blanket sort of way. Each has its own fan base; if you are hearing more noise from either camp, it just means you are in their stadium!

Thanks for the nugget!

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,888 of 4,312

While the volume knob of the DMP-Z1 is based on the RK501 it is a fully customised part requested by Sony and is not available as an OEM part from Alps, in fact with the collaboration the people at Alps wanted to use the know-how gained from the customisation in their own parts. And no it's not just brass plus gold plated, it's actually brass plated with copper and then plated with gold - a method Sony used while making the WM1Z which Alps didn't for the stock RK501. Also the Kimber Kable used in the Sony devices are more like Sony made with technology licensed from Kimber rather than straight from Kimber themselves.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/181101/?s_pid=jp_audio_product_201811_feature_1

EDIT: Also I must add that there's nothing exotic about the Chord Hugo TT2 hardware - the Chord magic lies in Rob Watt's D to A software, the FPGA chip used in Chord products are "off the shelf" just as well (a common Xilinx FPGA chip which anyone can purchase, but is useless as a DAC since, well, you don't have Rob Watt's source code). If you count custom D to A/signal resampling software as exotic, then Sony's own inhouse DSD remastering engine (remember, DSD is created by Sony) in the DMP-Z1 would qualify it as being "exotic" as well.

EDIT2: Also the knob on the outside of the device is just a cosmetic cap which is plastic with the gold plating - it's not actually the Alps knob which is fully housed inside the device. So you can't actually clean the actual RK501 custom volume knob FWIW.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,889 of 4,312
At least Alps and AKM are japanese . There’s a reason why sony went AKM and not american DACs (sabre and cirrus) which sound bad to my ears.
They do use TI TPA which is better than your typically used OPA (op amp)

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #2,890 of 4,312
EDIT: Also I must add that there's nothing exotic about the Chord Hugo TT2 hardware - the Chord magic lies in Rob Watt's D to A software, the FPGA chip used in Chord products are "off the shelf" just as well (a common Xilinx FPGA chip which anyone can purchase, but is useless as a DAC since, well, you don't have Rob Watt's source code). If you count custom D to A/signal resampling software as exotic, then Sony's own inhouse DSD remastering engine (remember, DSD is created by Sony) in the DMP-Z1 would qualify it as being "exotic" as well.

This is why the DMP-Z1 is so unique & no other product could possibly sound the same, whether that’s Chord or anyone. The key really is the DSD Remastering engine.

I’ve said time & time again, if you’re a collector of multi channel SACD’s ( or DVD-A’s ) the DMP-Z1 is actually replicating those. Now being able to hear that separation in headphone listening is truly amazing !

When I’ve listened to my SACD / DVD-A collections I’ve always thought, “What if I could have that resolution in my head & ears” ? & now I have. Talking of my head, I was listening to a song the other day, I can’t recall what the song was now ? I was sitting here, or I should say reclining here & if my head had been replaced by the planet Saturn, you know, the one with the rings, I could have imagined there was a ring placed around my head & the sound travelled around the rings. It was quite an amazing audio experience & quite bizarre. If I could have put that moment on a loop, I think I would have gone dizzy !

Anyway, those are just my personal experiences & thoughts, of this truly unique player.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #2,893 of 4,312
Like what happened to @Rob49 i lost two hours i had like 137:40 and tpday i switch it on and displays 135

As I’ve posted in recent weeks & this past week, this has happened to me twice now. I’ve lost 2 - 3 hours in total. See @MrWalkman ’s post / thoughts about this. I’m not going to power off my DMP anymore. Just let it shut down on it’s own. It’s been ok so far.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,894 of 4,312
In the last couple of days ive been using exclusively the MDR-Z1R as i got a cold and i dear forgetting thqt i hqve an IEM on my eqrs and blowing my nose with qn IEM on the eqrs will damage my ear drums.

And the sound quality is amazing very larg and holographic soundstage and reference sound with good trwble extension and a clean bass that rhumps

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,895 of 4,312
As I’ve posted in recent weeks & this past week, this has happened to me twice now. I’ve lost 2 - 3 hours in total. See @MrWalkman ’s post / thoughts about this. I’m not going to power off my DMP anymore. Just let it shut down on it’s own. It’s been ok so far.

Just turn the screen off for about 15-30 seconds before doing anything like seemingly disconnecting the AC source, like you did last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back