Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,911 of 4,324
Please do not presume to judge every DMP-Z1 owner as such; frankly, it’s quite offensive. There will always be fan boys, doesn’t matter the brand, model, even object, living or dead! Equally, there will also always be trolls. When passionate people clash over subjective matters, it is inevitable for fanaticism and maturity, in inverse ratio, to show up in the conversation. Nothing wrong with that, always something to be learned.

Trolls & Narc’s are two very different characters. The first is just that, the latter cannot & will not learn.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #2,914 of 4,324
Does anyone have any experience with paring Hifiman Susvara and DMP-Z1? I am thinking of Susvara as an upgrade to my HE1000V2. I am willing to travel across the US to audition Susvara if someone knows a store that has it currently on display.
DMP can not drive Susvara. At the store, I connected DMP to cayin HA-300 via 3.5mm to RCA, then susvara via SE. i had to turn DMP close to max (high gain) and HA-300 to 3 oclock (medium gain) to get to my normal listening volume. I think LCD5 would be a better match with DMP.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,915 of 4,324
Please do not presume to judge every DMP-Z1 owner as such; frankly, it’s quite offensive. There will always be fan boys, doesn’t matter the brand, model, even object, living or dead! Equally, there will also always be trolls. When passionate people clash over subjective matters, it is inevitable for fanaticism and maturity, in inverse ratio, to show up in the conversation. Nothing wrong with that, always something to be learned.

I’m not sure if you’re being supportive or critical of the “narcissist rental user” or the people that actually own & enjoy the device ??
I'm not making any kind of of judgement nor am I defending, criticising, or for that matter supporting anyone. How people spend their own money is their own business.

I was simply making the observation that this particular Sony unit occupies a unique position in the audio world because its price is so incommensurate with its performance (which is not to say it performs badly) that the decision to buy one is, yes, based in part on audio, but also a set of other factors outside of audio quality (I.e., branding, the legacy of Sony as a name, the "luxury" cosmetics, the kudos factor, etc).

The only vaguely contentious point I'd make is that while all brands attract fan boys, Sony is perhaps especially prone to this because of its historic lineage and also because people can be snobby about Sony as a consumerist brand.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2,917 of 4,324
I'm not making any kind of of judgement nor am I defending, criticising, or for that matter supporting anyone. How people spend their own money is their own business.

I was simply making the observation that this particular Sony unit occupies a unique position in the audio world because its price is so incommensurate with its performance (which is not to say it performs badly) that the decision to buy one is, yes, based in part on audio, but also a set of other factors outside of audio quality (I.e., branding, the legacy of Sony as a name, the "luxury" cosmetics, the kudos factor, etc).

The only vaguely contentious point I'd make is that while all brands attract fan boys, Sony is perhaps especially prone to this because of its historic lineage and also because people can be snobby about Sony as a consumerist brand.

And you are being presumptuous again. In my opinion (and experience), the DMP-Z1 is great value in comparison with the Bartok; you’d really have to go up to the Rossini, at the least, for dCS, and though I have not heard the Soulution rigs, I hear from audiophile friends at least Series 5, which, in their books, is much better value!

FWIW, I think the DMP-Z1 is as good as it gets FOR HEADFI, particularly IEMS, can’t speak for headphones, don’t do those. Anything more than that is like using a laser to shoot a fly! My fly swatter Sony gets the job done — nothing to brag or crow about.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,918 of 4,324

As an owner of this device, my decision wasn’t to buy because it’s “Sony” & even though I own many Sony products, I do not consider myself a “fanboy” or a “snob” or as part of a “religious cult”, which in itself is narcissistically childish. I own other brands, which I also get enjoyment from.

I considered a very long time to buy the DMP, because of the very expensive price & if it would be worth the outlay ?? I can confirm that owners that were very positive with their feedback, are correct & not “fanboys” or part of some “religious cult”. When people post of personal experience of something, I tend to take more notice of them, than a person that just bases their views, largely on assumptions or the odd rental listen. ( Which is odd ! )

( which is not to say it performs badly ) Do you own the player or heard it ??

The bottom line is, that it’s the best audio device I’ve personally heard. Would have I liked it to be a little less expensive ? Of course I would, but there is that saying, “You get what you pay for” & this is true in this instance. What price do you put on years of enjoyment ?

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,919 of 4,324
As an aside - genuine curiosity - I've not heard the term "Narc" since 1987 in the US. How has it come into everyday lingo in West Midlands of all places?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder, is found across all society, in every part of the world, even in the West Midlands, believe it or not ! ( Think Donald Trump & Boris Johnson, for just two examples. )

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,920 of 4,324
Narcissistic Personality Disorder, is found across all society, in every part of the world, even in the West Midlands, believe it or not ! ( Think Donald Trump & Boris Johnson, for just two examples. )
Oh ok. I tend to associate the term with narcotics agent, as in Miami Vice etc. I've never been to West Midlands, so it may have more traction there.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,921 of 4,324
And you are being presumptuous again. In my opinion (and experience), the DMP-Z1 is great value in comparison with the Bartok; you’d really have to go up to the Rossini, at the least, for dCS, and though I have not heard the Soulution rigs, I hear from audiophile friends at least Series 5, which, in their books, is much better value!

FWIW, I think the DMP-Z1 is as good as it gets FOR HEADFI, particularly IEMS, can’t speak for headphones, don’t do those. Anything more than that is like using a laser to shoot a fly! My fly swatter Sony gets the job done — nothing to brag or crow about.
Boom - reasonable answer, thank you. DMP-Z1 endgame for IEMs - I think that's a good approach. My use is for headphones, which perhaps gives context to my remarks.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #2,922 of 4,324
( which is not to say it performs badly ) Do you own the player or heard it ??

The bottom line is, that it’s the best audio device I’ve personally heard. Would have I liked it to be a little less expensive ? Of course I would, but there is that saying, “You get what you pay for” & this is true in this instance. What price do you put on years of enjoyment ?
Yes, heard it many times. But as mentioned above, on headphones only, which is why it left me cold. As an IEM-focused unit, perhaps my expectations and results would have been different.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,923 of 4,324
I’m not sure if you’re being supportive or critical of the “narcissist rental user” or the people that actually own & enjoy the device ??
He has envy of us who have one i think as he also critized my furniture

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,924 of 4,324
Yes, heard it many times. But as mentioned above, on headphones only, which is why it left me cold. As an IEM-focused unit, perhaps my expectations and results would have been different.
The next argument will be it's different if you just hear it or if you own it. DMP-Z1 owners accept nothing else besides the DMP-Z1. It's the most expensive so it's the best.

How much did you pay for your desktop amp? Less than 9000€? So it has to be worse.

And if someone else invents an more expensive device, it's insane and not worth its money and you should rather save money by getting the better DMP-Z1.

You're just wasting your time here. This thread is not to discuss the DMP-Z1 but praise it's allmighty glory.

Are you praising the DMP-Z1? No? So you have no right to be here. You're just jealous that you can't afford the DMP-Z1, there is no other way.

The DMP-Z1 sound the better the more you payed for it, so it can never sound good if you just test drive it because you haven't payed for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back