Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #2,551 of 4,333
Are you sure of your location ???
Positive. And I’ve posted pictures of my progress at the time. @Redcarmoose for example, saw me go through my journey. He knows I kept trying but just didn’t convince me to spend that much. It makes the headphones sound way louder as advertised. So yea, if I jack up the volume, sure everything will greatly improve. But I don’t like to listen to music loudly and all my cans don’t require lots of power to drive them

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #2,552 of 4,333
Diminishing returns is always a factor in this hobby and you’re certainly paying a lot for that extra.
I demoed a ton of setups back when I was able to go to e-earphone (please open up again Japan) and I just always preferred how Sony’s sound.

Now this is strictly my opinion. But the WM1A + the walkman mods from mr.walkman + IER-Z1R does sound very similar to the DMP. Close close close but not quite there. And that’s up to you if you want to spend the money. The TAZ sounds significantly warmer as well while the DMP has a much cooler sound profile, and as much as I love the TAZ, the DMP has this precision with its imaging. Plus the fact that it’s “portable” is incredible.

When it comes to headphones, the WM1A can’t touch the imaging and soundstage that the DMP can do.
And perhaps I’m going nuts but the SA-Z1 sounds more precise with the imaging on the DMP then the WM1A.
Honestly, I think it’s his volume level. You would be surprised if you found out how low he listens at. But he’s no neophyte to music having taken piano lessons his whole life. Obviously that doesn’t mean he can hear the nuances between the DMP-Z1 and the TA/1Z/1A. But he is trying to validate a purchase. It’s maybe that small 10%? I don’t know, we all get fooled in audio at some point and for some reason. I told him just to buy it and take it home that that is where he could discover the (magic) difference. He could always sell it again if it didn’t put out? Then that would be the price you pay to learn, but I think he would keep it!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,553 of 4,333
Positive. And I’ve posted pictures of my progress at the time. @Redcarmoose for example, saw me go through my journey. He knows I kept trying but just didn’t convince me to spend that much. It makes the headphones sound way louder as advertised. So yea, if I jack up the volume, sure everything will greatly improve. But I don’t like to listen to music loudly and all my cans don’t require lots of power to drive them

The beauty of the DMP is that you can control the volume level & there’s no need to crank it up. You really can’t go beyond ( in clock terms ) 5 to - between 10 & 5 to, is more than enough volume. ( I just increased the volume for the first time, to midday so to speak & it is way way too loud. ) I think controlling volume also depends on the quality of a recording & the music genre you’re listening to. Just adjusting slightly more or less, as required.

You said you’d listened with the Z1R’s. I don’t find them to be a good match. Ironically, I love my much cheaper Sony MDR-1AM2’s. So with everything, ( even with the DMP ) you have to find the right match for your tastes.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,555 of 4,333
Sorry I’ve not been following, but the WM1Z mod closes its gap with the DMP-Z1?

The next update (hopefully coming in the following days) will do that a bit more.

Running the Z1 app would help even more with that, but as the Z1 doesn't use the S-Master, it's not really possible to make it output sound on the 1A/Z.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2,556 of 4,333
I've been listening to my newly obtained hifiman he6se from adorama with my dmp. The highs are really shrill, every percussion hit hurts my ears. I reckon its the tuning on sony devices. It sounds less piercing out of my topping nx4 (lack of power? idk). I have yet to try it on the D90/A90 stack but i reckon the sound will be similar between them. It's a shame that it doesn't pair well with all headphones. I enjoy them alot with the mdr-z1r and utopia.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,558 of 4,333
Can someone please help? Those streaming Tidal from a DAP every song master or regular is showing 48 kHz on the DMP, is this normal?

It has to do mostly with how that DAP handles Tidal.

If you'd connect the DMP-Z1 via the USB DAC function to a PC, and then in Tidal you'd select the Z1 as output, and then enable "Exclusive Mode" and disable "Passthrough MQA", then Tidal will do the first unfold of the MQA file, and you could get playback at 88.2 or 96 kHz.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,559 of 4,333
It has to do mostly with how that DAP handles Tidal.

If you'd connect the DMP-Z1 via the USB DAC function to a PC, and then in Tidal you'd select the Z1 as output, and then enable "Exclusive Mode" and disable "Passthrough MQA", then Tidal will do the first unfold of the MQA file, and you could get playback at 88.2 or 96 kHz.
No problem on the PC either with Tidal app or Roon everything works fine. Just got the Fiio M11+ yesterday and doesn't show 88.2 or 96 kHz on the DMP 😪

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,561 of 4,333
Streaming Tidal on the Fiio this is working fine, but when I connect the DMP via USB it just streams PCM 48 kHz no matter which song I play

By the DAP handling Tidal I mean if the DAP just upsamples/downsamples any audio played by other apps in general, for example.

Even if Tidal would output 192 kHz, if the DAP then just downsamples the audio to 48/44.1 kHz, then that's what you'll get via the USB output.

You could give a try to the USB Audio Player Pro app: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial

This app handles USB audio by itself, without relying on the Android system, and it plays audio via USB as it is. You can also use Tidal with this app, by logging in with your Tidal account directly in UAPP. It has MQA support, but you have to pay a little one time fee.

This is the app in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #2,562 of 4,333
You could give a try to the USB Audio Player Pro app: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial
Thanks bud. I have been using it on my Android phone for a while and installed it on the Fiio last night and it's working fine streaming 88.2 or 96 or 192 kHz. I thought getting a DAP to stream Tidal would work fine with the app, guess that is not the case with the Fiio.

Just trying to find out if other with different DAPs have the same issue

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,563 of 4,333
Thanks bud. I have been using it on my Android phone for a while and installed it on the Fiio last night and it's working fine streaming 88.2 or 96 or 192 kHz. I thought getting a DAP to stream Tidal would work fine with the app, guess that is not the case with the Fiio.

Just trying to find out if other with different DAPs have the same issue

Not many DAPs have an underlying system which handles the audio coming from third party apps in a correct way, without upsampling or downsampling the audio.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,565 of 4,333
The beauty of the DMP is that you can control the volume level & there’s no need to crank it up. You really can’t go beyond ( in clock terms ) 5 to - between 10 & 5 to, is more than enough volume. ( I just increased the volume for the first time, to midday so to speak & it is way way too loud. ) I think controlling volume also depends on the quality of a recording & the music genre you’re listening to. Just adjusting slightly more or less, as required.

You said you’d listened with the Z1R’s. I don’t find them to be a good match. Ironically, I love my much cheaper Sony MDR-1AM2’s. So with everything, ( even with the DMP ) you have to find the right match for your tastes.
Sony MDR-Z1R is not a good pairing with DMP indeed being too "dark" hence masking details, whereas IER-Z1R is perfect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back