Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,581 of 4,318
2 days ago i received my IER-Z1R and used them with the NW-WM1Z and the TA-ZH1ES (have not rented the DMP-Z1 yet) but... i don't know...

They are extremely good, i give it to them but if they are sonically better than the MDR-Z1R? Ii don't know. I can understand that some people don't like the tuning of the MDR-Z1R (which i don't agree with) but i'd say the IER-Z1R is rather different than better.

The difference between the WM1Z and the TA-ZH1ES remained the same. The TA-ZH1ES is better than the WM1Z in every aspect but is a 4,4kg Stationary brick. But the difference between the WM1Z and the TA-ZH1ES didn't increase with the IER-Z1R, its the same difference i was able to pickup with the MDR-Z1R, IER-M9 and even the FiiO FA9.

So i have some doubts that the IER-Z1R finally reveals the hidden capabilities of the DMP-Z1 i wasn't able to hear due to the lack of headphones that could reveal them. The TA-ZH1ES pretty much sounds perfect to me.

But lets see, i call the Sony Center today and ask for another rental of the DMP-Z1 over the weekend so i can test it from Friday till Monday. But from what i heard until know i stay true to my original statement that the DMP-Z1 is not better than the TA-ZH1ES. Lets see if another rental can change my mind.

The TA-ZH1ES sounds different than the DMP-Z1. If it sounded like they would be the same, than that came across wrong. The DMP-Z1 sounds like the WM1Z and TA-ZH1ES gave birth to a baby (in terms of sound signature).

But in terms of quality, there is absolutely no difference, no. Not to my experience.

You can feel the quiet background? The Background of the WM1Z is already -109db. With what headphones are you able to hear -109db, please tell me.

Even if you would listen at 100db (the volume of a buzz saw), the Noise is still -9db.

Common, please., Don't assert that you are able to hear -9db noise when listening to music at a volume of 100db. Thats absolutely impossible, even for the best ears in existence. How are you able to feel silence anyway?

The IER-Z1R don't even isolate well enough that it would be even possible. Are you sitting in an anechoic chamber when you're listening to music? Even if you would, your body noises are already loud enough to make it absolutely impossible to pickup a difference, even if it would be audible.

This is exactly the reason why people make fun of audiophile. You are not able to hear the background with the WM1Z, no human is. The same is true for the TA-ZH1ES and the DMP-Z1. They all have the exact same background, dead silent.

And large soundstage oh please god no. A larger soundstage than the TA-ZH1ES would limit the usage of the DMP-Z1 as it would be way larger than the actual recording. I don't know where this fetish for insane and unrealistic big soundstage comes that makes it virtually impossible to listen to any music that give audible hints in what room size they play. I don't get why people buy headphones instead of 7.2 systems if they want unrealistic you sure put alot of time and effort into
You sure put a lot of time and effort in the DMP for someone who concludes it is marginally better than WM1z.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,582 of 4,318
Hmmm, to me the WM1Z and the TAZ sounds very similar in terms of how they sound and almost how they perform. I do give the edge to the TAZ for a slightly bigger soundstage (this was mainly testing with the IER-Z1R)

I've mentioned it before but while I do think the IER-Z1R's sound best on the DMP, it's not that drastic of a jump compared to using it on the WM1Z or the TAZ. The bass sounds tighter and everything sounds more accurate but this is a huge price jump for some improvements here and there. I also am one of the few that do not like pairing the DMP with the MDR. Just sounds a bit harsh to me. However with the Empyreans, its a massive massive difference in showing me the difference between the DMP and TAZ.

In use with the Empyreans, asides from the warm sound profile on the TAZ compared to the cooler sound profile on the DMP, the DMP imaging feels much precise and accurate (not sure if I'm using the correct words here). Its like I can listen to a song and its more pinpoint on where a piano might be all the way to the left while a guitar is a little bit to the left of that while someone is banging on the drums to the right. Everything just feels like it has more position and it sounds clearer on the DMP. I think that's what makes the soundstage sound "bigger" even though its not really that much bigger (to my ears anyways).

I'm really curious to test out some more headphones and IEMs with the DMP whenever international travel happens again.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,583 of 4,318
I've been enjoying the MDR-Z1R with the DMP-Z1 for the past few months. I appreciate that it is a closed back design, as I take advantage of the portability of the DMP-Z1 to listen in different locations, including in bed. I love the mid- and upper range of the MDR, but the bass can be boomy for some frequencies.

Since I love the closed-back design for my use case, I recently got the Dan Clark Stealth as an alternative. So far, I'm really liking these headphones, but I haven't logged as many hours on it as I have on the MDR. The Stealth has two benefits out of the gate: first, the bass is tight and not distracting anymore; second, the Stealth is foldable and comes with a carrying case. That latter is a big deal since I like taking advantage of the portability of the DMP. However, I need to turn the volume knob a lot higher to get an equivalent listening volume. I suspect this will impact how long the DMP lasts on a single charge, though I can't confirm that yet.

Just for contrast, when comparing the Stealth on my SPL phonitor xe w/ DAC, the Focal Utopia blew them away in clarity and openess. Just wanted to state it since the Utopia and Stealth have the same price point. The Stealth is a great headphone, but it cannot compete against an open back. I have not compared the Utopia to the Stealth on the DMP-Z1. Finally, nothing I stated should be interpreted as a comparison between the SPL and the DMP.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #2,584 of 4,318
Well done - Top Marks & Congratulations !!
You have perfectly answered all of you own questions and repeatedly arrived at your own self-confirming conclusions multiple times, that's what I call a win-win-win... Absolutely no need to cook your goose yet again, or anybody else's for that matter... in fact you would certainly save yourself and all others enjoying their DMP-Z1 further consternation by finding something far away from this thread to beat your chest about 🤪

I’d say a touch of N.P.D. ( Possibly ?? )

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,585 of 4,318
You have perfectly answered all of you own questions and repeatedly arrived at your own self-confirming conclusions multiple times, that's what I call a win-win-win... Absolutely no need to cook your goose yet again, or anybody else's for that matter... in fact you would certainly save yourself and all others enjoying their DMP-Z1 further consternation by finding something far away from this thread to beat your chest about 🤪
Huh? The reason to buy a DMP-Z1 (as it is advertised) is to have a portable TA-ZH1ES. And its a total success.

It is not a big difference to the TA-ZH1ES, no but that is because the TA-ZH1ES is close to perfection. There is not that much room to really beat it. But its a 4,4kg desktop amp.

The DMP-Z1 delivers at minimum the same quality in a portable fashion. It is less then half the weight, runs on batteries, comes with a carrying case. You can have the best possible audio quality always with you. There is absolutely no reason to not enjoy it and it is an improvement over the NW-WM1Z in every aspect.

Why is it such a big deal that a portable player ""only"" delivers the same sound quality as an desktop amp and does not heavily increase on it. Why does the DMP-Z1 have to be better than the TA-ZH1ES to be enjoyable?

Its a pretty much perfect audio device, but its not the only one out there. Sony is not the ultimate and only audio company. If you're into the Sony Sound Signature, its the best you can get. Isn't that enough?

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,586 of 4,318

I’d say a touch of N.P.D. ( Possibly ?? )

Confirmation.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,587 of 4,318
Looks like the DMP-Z1 is at CanJam SoCal 2021!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...ead-september-25-26-2021.959896/post-16581326

1C265F2F-C442-4786-828E-6890B9866C6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #2,588 of 4,318
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,589 of 4,318
That’s the great part, for me...I’m in no danger of buying one!
Listening to that was a financial mistake. It blew me away. It's on a whole 'nother level over my WM1Z and I am now figuring out how to convince the wife I NEED one!

L1220260.jpg

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,591 of 4,318
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #2,594 of 4,318
Hahaha that's true. It's just that I wouldn't know how to tell my daughter we're not going to be able to send her to college after all. :p

Man - ignorance was bliss.
Well, the only thing I ever purchased with that was the Woo 5 LE. I told my wife you only live once, and it went way smoother than I thought? Though it maybe could be trouble depending on the details for some?

Still it was dramatic? My Wife mainly buys sensible things, necessities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back