Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #2,522 of 4,317
Yes and the USB implementation within the DMP will only allow you to do that as far as I know

Yea this way you are bypassing Dmp dac and simply feeding the 440 and using full dac and amp of it. You can try 4.4mm from dmp to 440 dual 3 pin xlr if it has that input.

3.5mm out of dmp wont be optimal as balanced has all the goodies and even sony said it 😛
Still you can use it if you prefer Se over balanced.

I recommend kimber kable interconnects.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,523 of 4,317
Sep 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,524 of 4,317
Totally agree with Rob49. I made 2 trips to Audio Advice store in Raleigh, NC where they have a well "burnt-in" TA on display. I auditioned it with my personal gear: Sony IER-Z1R and Hifiman HE1000V2 as well as Meze Empyreans loaned by Audio Advice. Neither time I was impressed with so much praised TA and worth mentioning that I spent 4 hours with TA on my last trip there.
TA is not even remotely close to DMP sounding a lot less detailed, and if I were to use only one word to describe the sound of TA in comparison to DMP, that would be "muddy" 😉
Yes, I too use DMP sampling filter and it is magical!!
Did you only use the TA with the 3.5mm output?

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,525 of 4,317
Did you only use the TA with the 3.5mm output?
Used balanced with my personal gear: Sony IER-Z1R and Hifiman HE1000V2, but single-ended on Meze Empyryan as a loaner.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,526 of 4,317
It has, but you need to change its region to J, or E, for example, to see the remote option.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

When using the USB output, the sound signature most probably doesn't apply to the sound. The DMP should only send the audio data as is.
forgive my ignorance, but how to you change the regional code on the DMP-Z1 to utilize the Sony bluetooth remote? I looked at the link you provided but the DMP-Z1 is not listed. Any help is greatly appreciate it.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,528 of 4,317
forgive my ignorance, but how to you change the regional code on the DMP-Z1 to utilize the Sony bluetooth remote? I looked at the link you provided but the DMP-Z1 is not listed. Any help is greatly appreciate it.

It works the same for the Z1 as well.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,529 of 4,317
If you love sony bro never sale your dmp. Throw that nasty thoughts out of your head lol you will regret it later!

M30 is a nice device great alternative but I dont think if you own dmp its worth going to the other device just by thinking cause your neighbor's grass looks greener then yours lo lo lo

In fact Dmp is a better machine in many ways. Just get a quality dap to be used as a streamer and source, dont need a flagship get something in the mid tiers and reliable software ui.

You will be more happy this way in my opinion
Any suggestions for a DAP which doesn't break the bank, Most likely will go this route. I have this strange connection with the DMP even though I should be listening to it more than I currently am. It's a lot of money tied if it just sits there most days.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #2,532 of 4,317
I’m a bit surprised to see one or two peeps wanting to sell the DMP. I do think it’s one of the neatest pieces of audio on the market

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,533 of 4,317
I’m a bit surprised to see one or two peeps wanting to sell the DMP. I do think it’s one of the neatest pieces of audio on the market
Well yes and no.

It is complicated.

The DMP-Z1 is an awesome piece of technology but not an 9000€ piece of technology.

It is not made in Japan, it is made with off the shelve components. It's... It breaks my heart to say that but it is just not that special.

There are sub 2000€ DAP who produce higher output with better SNR

And I am pretty sure that in a blind test, >=98% of Audiophiles wouldn't even notice the difference. Since THX entered the Amp market, below 800€ Android dap can have the same power, SNR and linearity that was few years ago reserved for >2000€ desktop amps

And this trend is going strong. Most DAPs these days are a matter of taste and not a matter of quality, the same is true for headphones.

Sennheiser did have good reasons to sell its Headphones business and Sony did have good reasons to pull pretty much every Hi-Res audio product from the European market.

Time is changing and there are 50€ headphones on the market now that are better in pretty much every aspect than 500€ Headphones from 6-7 years ago.

So rather sell your DMP-Z1 now for a good price before nobody wants it anymore because there is some shelling song Wong ding which feels for 1000€ for the same specs

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,534 of 4,317
So rather sell your DMP-Z1 now for a good price before nobody wants it anymore because there is some shelling song Wong ding which feels for 1000€ for the same specs
Waiting for this… lol

The only time I’ll be able to afford one.

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,535 of 4,317
I just picked up a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd in SS quite a nice piece of gear, I couldn't find the Ibasso DX300 in a store close to me and I'm impatient. I am streaming Tidal Master to the DMP via USB from the Fiio but every song is showing PCM 48kHz on the DMP.

Is that a limitation of the Tidal app running Android 10 on the Fiio? Tried a few setting on the Fiio nothing changed. Do I need to use USB Audio Player Pro on the Fiio or I'm doing something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back