Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,351 of 4,319
Mm...I m still going for that VanNuys case. As soon as I m bored with the SP 2000 cu.

Lol!
I don’t even walk around with the Z1 though. I use my modify ZX300 and IER-Z1R for that.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,353 of 4,319
Mm...I can get away with that because SG is very safe. Other cities? Not likely.
Not about safety but afraid of dropping it or put a major ding on it. For clumsy people like me it is best for the Z1 to be transportable and not portable. Due to its weight, the Z1 is likely to be dead upon impact or sustained major damage.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,356 of 4,319
Sep 14, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,357 of 4,319
Not about safety but afraid of dropping it or put a major ding on it. For clumsy people like me it is best for the Z1 to be transportable and not portable. Due to its weight, the Z1 is likely to be dead upon impact or sustained major damage.

Mm...I walk slow and walk on the correct side of the road like the locals (escalators, walkways etc.). The weight is not that bad. No rush. Relaxed walking specially when I m listening to my favorite tracks, drowning street noise pollution. The Stellia provides good sound isolation, not too much but just enough to be able to listen to ambient noise and provide situational awareness.

Risky but worth it.

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,359 of 4,319
Hi All, I recently purchased a DMP-Z1 and had two questions related to extending the battery lifespan. In general I would like to leave my DMP plugged in then listen either with the power adapter or using the battery preferred option. By default the DMP will then either maintain the charge level at 100% or Automatically recharge to 100% when I am done listening. I would like a battery care option to limit the max and min charge level like in the Sony WM1Z which has very similar firmware.
  • Does anyone know the best way to request a new firmware feature to add a battery care type option (to set max & min charge levels)? I tried emailing Sony support and also adding my request to the Sony support discussion but both seem to have gone into a black hole. Does someone here have a good way to request firmware enhancements from Sony, especially for a Signature Product like this?
  • Can someone clarify if there is any benefit of fully draining the battery as mentioned in the manual, I thought this was more useful for avoiding memory effect in NIMH or NiCad's vs Li-Ion which doesn't need this or for battery gauge calibration. I don't think this feature extends battery longevity like limiting peak and minimum charge does.
  • Per the online manual "This player is equipped with a function to avoid battery deterioration. Battery deterioration can occur when the battery is charged and discharged repeatedly.
    When you connect the player to an AC power source, after you turn off the player by holding down the (power) button for 2 seconds, charging continues until the battery is fully charged. Once the battery is fully charged, discharging will start. Discharging continues over a long period of time until the battery runs out.
    Therefore, the player may not turn on if you do not use the player for a long period of time. If you cannot turn on the player even when you hold down the (power) button for 4 seconds, disconnect and reconnect the AC adapter (supplied). Charging will start, and then you can use the player."
  • Here is an interesting article about ways to extend longevity in Li-Ion batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Thanks All

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,360 of 4,319
Hi All, I recently purchased a DMP-Z1 and had two questions related to extending the battery lifespan. In general I would like to leave my DMP plugged in then listen either with the power adapter or using the battery preferred option. By default the DMP will then either maintain the charge level at 100% or Automatically recharge to 100% when I am done listening. I would like a battery care option to limit the max and min charge level like in the Sony WM1Z which has very similar firmware.
  • Does anyone know the best way to request a new firmware feature to add a battery care type option (to set max & min charge levels)? I tried emailing Sony support and also adding my request to the Sony support discussion but both seem to have gone into a black hole. Does someone here have a good way to request firmware enhancements from Sony, especially for a Signature Product like this?
  • Can someone clarify if there is any benefit of fully draining the battery as mentioned in the manual, I thought this was more useful for avoiding memory effect in NIMH or NiCad's vs Li-Ion which doesn't need this or for battery gauge calibration. I don't think this feature extends battery longevity like limiting peak and minimum charge does.
  • Per the online manual "This player is equipped with a function to avoid battery deterioration. Battery deterioration can occur when the battery is charged and discharged repeatedly.
    When you connect the player to an AC power source, after you turn off the player by holding down the (power) button for 2 seconds, charging continues until the battery is fully charged. Once the battery is fully charged, discharging will start. Discharging continues over a long period of time until the battery runs out.
    Therefore, the player may not turn on if you do not use the player for a long period of time. If you cannot turn on the player even when you hold down the (power) button for 4 seconds, disconnect and reconnect the AC adapter (supplied). Charging will start, and then you can use the player."
  • Here is an interesting article about ways to extend longevity in Li-Ion batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Thanks All

congrats on your purchase!

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,361 of 4,319
So kind of cross posting - but got Stellias in and I don’t have balanced adapter. Should be here any minute.

But I’m actually very sadly shocked at the lack of low end these have (playing of unbalanced cord came with stellia on DMP-z1)...

I know there’s break in but I don’t think it’s going to add what I’ve gotten from mdr-z1r’s (which also aren’t fully broken in). And z1rs give bass I need plus more than fine on bad / mids. Stellia feeling extremely bright. Overly so in places

Haven’t changed from direct source as never had to touch for mdr/ ier z1rs. Might try to help

But if someone’s on fence about getting and it’s the sound you like (not saying bad, just don’t think they’ll be mind sound) there might be exemtrely lightly (and gently ) used Stellias for sale here soon ...

Was really hoping to plug in and just here the magic

Edit : and listening to not so bass heavy album to give better shot. But I just lean to z1rs sooo much more

Tried little Michael's Thriller in dsd and Pharrell’s album GIRL. Some other randoms. A/B’ing will continue.

And to those asking about ear warmth. Stellia warm ears more than z1rs also. The z1rs bigger so seem to have more airspace is it’s closed shell if helps.

Ok second edit. Got balanced connection to 4.4mm and sounds a loooooottttt better. But we’ll see. Still not giving me the wow I thought

I think I’m missing the sub bass a lot more than I thought

So far sticking with Sony signature series is ‘my’ sound I think

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,362 of 4,319
@LegionWolf , so interesting. When I compared the Stellia on the DMP-Z1 to the MDR-Z1, I definitely preferred the Stellia. I like a sturdy bass foundation, but with bright, transparent treble (I love the sound of Grados, for example), so maybe it was a difference it taste that explains our difference in preference.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,363 of 4,319
@LegionWolf , so interesting. When I compared the Stellia on the DMP-Z1 to the MDR-Z1, I definitely preferred the Stellia. I like a sturdy bass foundation, but with bright, transparent treble (I love the sound of Grados, for example), so maybe it was a difference it taste that explains our difference in preference.

I think that’s really what it comes down too. I wanna love the new Stellias.. but found I was forcing myself to take off z1rs to go back and listen to stelli for A/B - but was always ready to take Stellias off and go back to (and like more ) the sound from z1rs....

Hrmmmm

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,364 of 4,319
Ok, ok. These are starting to open quite a bit.
It’s was almost like don’t listen to them for at least first two hours, just turn on music leave room and let burn in...

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,365 of 4,319
So kind of cross posting - but got Stellias in and I don’t have balanced adapter. Should be here any minute.

But I’m actually very sadly shocked at the lack of low end these have (playing of unbalanced cord came with stellia on DMP-z1)...

I know there’s break in but I don’t think it’s going to add what I’ve gotten from mdr-z1r’s (which also aren’t fully broken in). And z1rs give bass I need plus more than fine on bad / mids. Stellia feeling extremely bright. Overly so in places

Haven’t changed from direct source as never had to touch for mdr/ ier z1rs. Might try to help

But if someone’s on fence about getting and it’s the sound you like (not saying bad, just don’t think they’ll be mind sound) there might be exemtrely lightly (and gently ) used Stellias for sale here soon ...

Was really hoping to plug in and just here the magic

Edit : and listening to not so bass heavy album to give better shot. But I just lean to z1rs sooo much more

Tried little Michael's Thriller in dsd and Pharrell’s album GIRL. Some other randoms. A/B’ing will continue.

And to those asking about ear warmth. Stellia warm ears more than z1rs also. The z1rs bigger so seem to have more airspace is it’s closed shell if helps.

Ok second edit. Got balanced connection to 4.4mm and sounds a loooooottttt better. But we’ll see. Still not giving me the wow I thought

I think I’m missing the sub bass a lot more than I thought

So far sticking with Sony signature series is ‘my’ sound I think

Mm...As I am quite familiar with the Focal Utopia (early adopter), putting the Stellia for the first time was very familiar territory (Utopia is still better). And, I prefer the sound of the Stellia over my Z1R on the DMP Z1.

It is a question of personal preference and the type of music that is being played.

I m thinking of having the stock XLR cable shortened and reterminated to 4.4 mm. Stock cable looks beautiful (a little stiff) and it would be almost a crime to pair the Stellia with any cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back