Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #543 of 4,317
it is a desktop system....
It is not even a desktop system

Not without a proper Linear Power Supply, without Line-out, without the prowess to process DSD512 or Upsampling into DSD512, without discrete high performances headphone amp circuitry, without a high precision OCXO clock systems

DMP-Z1 is a thing that is bigger and supposed to be better than your typical Portable devices, but it isn’t a desktop system

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #544 of 4,317
It is not even a desktop system

Not without a proper Linear Power Supply, without Line-out, without the prowess to process DSD512 or Upsampling into DSD512, without discrete high performances headphone amp circuitry, without a high precision OCXO clock systems

DMP-Z1 is a thing that is bigger and supposed to be better than your typical Portable devices, but it isn’t a desktop system

Many desktop system or desktop DACs doesn't do what you say there either. Your criteria is literally arbitrary and is not an acknowledge common standard.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #546 of 4,317
New technology is moving faster than we thought, the IFI Pro IDSD does Upsampling and processing upto DSD1024, not DSD512. It is hard to think that we are still stuck at DSD256 on an 8K device ? Even a Chinese DAC can process DSD1024 (LKS004), and has discrete circuitry output.

LKS-004 was released 2 years ago, and IFI was released few months ago, while DMP-Z1 is a newer device, with this price tag. Nope, it isn’t a Desktop in my point of view

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #547 of 4,317
Chord DACs like the DAVE or Hugo TT2 doesn't even do PCM to DSD conversion, neither does the Sennheiser HE1 system. By your criteria neither of those are Desktop Systems.

Do you see how meaningless your criteria are? Using PCM to DSD up conversion as a definitive desktop system criteria is, for the lack of a better word, dumb.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #549 of 4,317
Chord DACs like the DAVE or Hugo TT2 doesn't even do PCM to DSD conversion, neither does the Sennheiser HE1 system. By your criteria neither of those are Desktop Systems.

Do you see how meaningless your criteria are? Using PCM to DSD up conversion as a definitive desktop system criteria is, for the lack of a better word, dumb.

You can simply exclude that DSD up sampling out, and DMP-Z1 still lack plethora of others, which just make it not a desktop system, period

Before mentioning Chord, you should know what they are doing instead of judging about their ablility of Upsampling to DSD btw

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #550 of 4,317
Omg what a freaking incredible DAP/AMP .
Best looking H-Chasis and volume control wheel I've ever seen on a transportable device . I cannot wait to hear it . Bet it would sound great with a pair of LCD XC's. My god we live in such an exciting time for tech advancement in audio . Wow.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #551 of 4,317
Omg what a freaking incredible DAP/AMP .
Best looking H-Chasis and volume control wheel I've ever seen on a transportable device . I cannot wait to hear it . Bet it would sound great with a pair of LCD XC's. My god we live in such an exciting time for tech advancement in audio . Wow.
Yeah, I agree

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #552 of 4,317
You can simply exclude that DSD up sampling out, and DMP-Z1 still lack plethora of others, which just make it not a desktop system, period

Before mentioning Chord, you should know what they are doing instead of judging about their ablility of Upsampling to DSD btw

Of course I know what Chord does and that is exactly why I brought them up because it makes the case that just randomly picking out a missing feature to dismiss the system as not being a desktop is silly.

Using your logic, I can say as the Z1 has a unique FPGA based DSD remastering engine which many other systems don’t have makes other hardware not a desktop system, it’s a silly nonsensical argument yet you keep being it up and it’s just not constructive.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #553 of 4,317
Of course I know what Chord does and that is exactly why I brought them up because it makes the case that just randomly picking out a missing feature to dismiss the system as not being a desktop is silly.

Using your logic, I can say as the Z1 has a unique FPGA based DSD remastering engine which many other systems don’t have makes other hardware not a desktop system, it’s a silly nonsensical argument yet you keep being it up and it’s just not constructive.

Again, you can exclude the DSD remastering engine, the DNP-Z1 is still not a desktop system period.

No Linear Power Supply
Weak power output
No discrete amplifier circuit
What is that clocking system again ?
No line out

I guess, we can both agree to disagree. In my opinion, the DMP-Z1 is not a desktop system, a “Carriable system” as defined and clarified by Sony engineers is fine. They even called that TA-ZH1ES is a desktop and Z1 is “Carriable”

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #554 of 4,317
You can carry a lot of things on you backpack...

İf you are using the device on a desk/ shelf but not your pocket is a desktop system...

All desktop Systems are carriable:)) what does even mean?

İt is not if you can carry easly ör not but how you listen the music...

You put on your shelf/desk/table and enjoy it

Not in a bus ör plane ride

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back