Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #526 of 4,305
I seriously have no problem with the screen being little, LCD generate a lot of noises, and these noises can contaminate the sound quality from conductive elements or radiated noises....anyways, I still can’t swallow the pill...in order to buy Z1 in a sensible manner, I need to sell most of the stuff I have lol

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #527 of 4,305
Mm...I agree with you about the opportunity cost. With 8K to invest, I, too, would recommend getting the SR 009 or 007 plus Stax energizer rather than getting the Z1. Better value. With some reservations: Not everyone loves the eStat sound. I know of some who dislike it. Not enough bass is the common complaint. That is where the DMP Z1 stands as a reasonably alternative, paired, of course, with a top notch headphone and in-ear.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #528 of 4,305
Really it's a niche product in a swamp of an already niche community.

Can't really argue otherwise for people that are really looking for "an elegant, one portable device for everything".

It seems going with literally anything else in the market will cost on adding cables for connections, and this doesn't need any of that.

It would probably handily beat any "only DAP" anyone else create for a good long while.

And that stands for something.

Definitely only for people that already have their neck deep in this mess of a hobby tho :deadhorse:.

Comparing performance per dollar value at the same price is moot really when the designer left that idea in a ditch somewhere a mile away. :floatsmile:

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #529 of 4,305
Regards the battery life, isn't it just easier to use this purely connected to power supply ? It's not like you're going to carry it around in your pocket, is it, or take it outside.

I've also just won £5.000 ( Not received money yet. ) & wondering whether to buy ?? Although, i couldn't get over the fact of buying my TA-ZH1ES, the most expensive audio equipment i've purchased ever....but don't now regret it, because i love it !

Hard to grasp that you could get £8.000 worth of pleasure out of an audio device ?? ( Well for me it is ! )

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #530 of 4,305
Mm..if you already have a good collection of top notch headphones, if you can still get good resale value on your TA, if you want or need to have a very good travel system, if you compare the TA and DMP Z1 and find the Z1 to be superior, then buy the DMP Z1. Otherwise, missing any of that goalposts means no-go for the Z1.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #531 of 4,305
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #532 of 4,305
Mm..if you already have a good collection of top notch headphones, if you can still get good resale value on your TA, if you want or need to have a very good travel system, if you compare the TA and DMP Z1 and find the Z1 to be superior, then buy the DMP Z1. Otherwise, missing any of that goalposts means no-go for the Z1.

Yes, i think it's overkill to have both, especially considering that i've only had my TA 3-4 months, which i'm very happy with !

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #533 of 4,305
Dunno if this have been shared here or not, but I checked Inner Fidelity today and saw this

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/rmaf-2018-sony-dmp-z1-headphone-amp-and-mdr-z1r-headphones

I sure missed it, is After Tyll gone everybody still check the site?

Mm...still checking every now and then. Innerfidelity = less noise, more signal.

Just read the link. I think that explains the Tentative marking on the DMP Z1 packaging of the DMP unit I auditioned. It is the pre-production unit, same as Denver’s. 99% sure of it. Which means I have to do another round of audition before purchasing. This time without the Tentative marking.

Exciting. What will the final voicing be?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #534 of 4,305
Having had the pleasure to audition a prototype (i.e., "Tentative") DMP-Z1 twice (one in optimal listening conditions, the other not-so-optimal) with an assortment of headphones and IEMs (Sony MDR-Z1R, Sony MDR-Z7M2, AKG K812, HD660S, HD800, JVC FD01 with brass filters), I think it is the best battery-powered source I've listened to, bar none. I was particularly enraptured with the performance of its 3.5mm output; my previous experiences with Sony DAPs that have both balanced and single ended jacks have often left me wondering why Sony decided to "attenuate" (for lack of a better term) the performance of the single-ended jack, as if Sony is pushing the consumer to go balanced all the way (being an owner of the WM1A for around a year already, I am very happy with the 4.4mm output's performance but I somehow wished the 3.5mm output's performance wasn't that far behind). With the DMP-Z1, though, the entire time I was listening to the K812 I was just shaking my head in disbelief, how the K812 sounded blissful and with unbridled authority. Looking back at the time when I was able to try the TA-ZH1ES and comparing my listening experience with the DMP-Z1, the latter is hands down the better item as far as sound performance is concerned (and disregarding the fact that the latter is loads more expensive).

With the caveat that I haven't had the chance to listen to the MDR-R10/Qualia 01/SA5000 and the IER-Z1R, I think the DMP-Z1 is the best Sony audio product I've ever heard. If only I have a spare USD8K lying somewhere :)

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #535 of 4,305
Having had the pleasure to audition a prototype (i.e., "Tentative") DMP-Z1 twice (one in optimal listening conditions, the other not-so-optimal) with an assortment of headphones and IEMs (Sony MDR-Z1R, Sony MDR-Z7M2, AKG K812, HD660S, HD800, JVC FD01 with brass filters), I think it is the best battery-powered source I've listened to, bar none. I was particularly enraptured with the performance of its 3.5mm output; my previous experiences with Sony DAPs that have both balanced and single ended jacks have often left me wondering why Sony decided to "attenuate" (for lack of a better term) the performance of the single-ended jack, as if Sony is pushing the consumer to go balanced all the way (being an owner of the WM1A for around a year already, I am very happy with the 4.4mm output's performance but I somehow wished the 3.5mm output's performance wasn't that far behind). With the DMP-Z1, though, the entire time I was listening to the K812 I was just shaking my head in disbelief, how the K812 sounded blissful and with unbridled authority. Looking back at the time when I was able to try the TA-ZH1ES and comparing my listening experience with the DMP-Z1, the latter is hands down the better item as far as sound performance is concerned (and disregarding the fact that the latter is loads more expensive).

With the caveat that I haven't had the chance to listen to the MDR-R10/Qualia 01/SA5000 and the IER-Z1R, I think the DMP-Z1 is the best Sony audio product I've ever heard. If only I have a spare USD8K lying somewhere :)

It has to be great for that price. As good as the ZH1ES is, many system also handily beat it. I took a chance on an Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H this week for a really good price and it easily better the ZH1ES in every aspect. I'm usually not a fan of SE amplifier but a SE done right can be simply outstanding. Sometime it is a matter of topology. So glad that I took a chance on the HA5050H. I really hope that I get to hear the Z1 one day. Sadly there is not even a single Sony store here in Atlanta Metro area.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #536 of 4,305
It has to be great for that price. As good as the ZH1ES is, many system also handily beat it. I took a chance on an Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H this week for a really good price and it easily better the ZH1ES in every aspect. I'm usually not a fan of SE amplifier but a SE done right can be simply outstanding. Sometime it is a matter of topology. So glad that I took a chance on the HA5050H. I really hope that I get to hear the Z1 one day. Sadly there is not even a single Sony store here in Atlanta Metro area.

The AT-HA5050H is more than double the price of the TA-ZH1ES. It better be beating the TA-ZH1ES.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #537 of 4,305
The AT-HA5050H is more than double the price of the TA-ZH1ES. It better be beating the TA-ZH1ES.

Yes, more expensive but I didn't pay full price on it. What I'm trying to say that it isn't that difficult to beat the ZH1ES especially the $6K price difference. Imagine how many ZH1ES you can have for the price of the Z1.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #538 of 4,305
Will the Z1 be available for sale in the US?

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #539 of 4,305
So yesterday I was in the Sony Store in Ginza, Tokyo, and tried out the new Sony DMP-Z1. At last!

My first impression: this device is HUUUUGE. And yeah, heavy. There's no way you can (or even want to) carry it around with you. It's not a portable Walkman, all right. Instead, it's a compact, "carriable," and gorgeous piece of equipment that will wow anybody that sees it sitting in your home. But we already knew that.

Second thing is the sound quality. I'm not an expert, but it's probably the best thing on the market right now. I mean this thing is just amazing, breathtakingly amazing. You feel like you're listening to music in a whole new way, on a whole new level. It's somewhat similar to the NW-WM1Z, but even better. Noticeably better. You'd think that's not possible, but it is, trust me it is! You feel like your head is in the clouds and you're surrounded by a stream music in all directions. You feel like you're in the middle of it--losing yourself in music, so to speak. I'm not very good with words, I don't know how else to describe the clarity and purity of the sound...

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to spend with it (I was there with my girlfriend, and she wanted to do some shopping; besides other people wanted to try out this device too), but I made this short video, if you're interested... It's not so much a video about the DMP-1Z (although that's in it too, of course), but of our short shopping trip to Ginza and the Sony Store at Christmas season. So if you haven't been to Ginza or Tokyo yet, this is what's it's like here... :)

In the future I might make a more comprehensive video on just the DMP-Z1, when (if!) I decide to get it.

Anyway, in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the video!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #540 of 4,305
So the other day I was in the Sony Store in Ginza, Tokyo, and tried out the new Sony DMP-Z1. At last!

My first impression: this device is HUUUUGE. And yeah, heavy. There's no way you can (or even want to) carry it around with you. It's not a Walkman, all right. Instead, it's a compact, "carriable," and gorgeous equipment that will wow anybody who sees it sitting in your home. But we already knew that.

Second thing is the sound quality. It's probably the best thing on the market right now. I mean this thing is just amazing, breathtakingly amazing. You feel like you're listening to music in a whole new way. It's somewhat similar to the NW-WM1Z, but even better. Noticeably better. You'd think that's not possible, but it is. Trust me it is! You feel like your head is in the clouds and you're surrounded by a stream music in all directions. You feel like you're in the middle of it--losing yourself in music, so to speak. I'm not very good with words, I don't know how else to describe it...

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to spend with it (I was there with my girlfriend, and she wanted to do some shopping, and besides other people wanted to try out this device too), but I made this short video, if you're interested... It's not so much a video about the DMP-1Z (although that's in it too, of course), but of our short shopping trip to Ginza and the Sony Store at Christmas season. If you haven't been to Ginza or Tokyo yet, this is what's it's like here... :)

In the future I might make a more comprehensive video on just the DMP-Z1.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Great video, was there in that store a couple months ago. That’s my favorite part of Tokyo. Hopefully be back in March?

Still I had non-audiophile friends over and even they noted how much better the TA amp was with the Z1R than the little 1Z. That would have been a better side by side quick comparison in your post. Of course we’re waiting for a review of some style. I hope folks get them and enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back