Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #511 of 4,314
They didn't dodge it - he said why in the interview.

佐藤(浩):アナログアンプにはテキサス・インスツルメンツの「TPA6120A2」を採用しています。アナログアンプを検討していた時に、このほかにもディスクリートやマイナス電源を内蔵したアンプなど、いろいろな方式・デバイスのアンプの採用を検討しましたが、「TPA6120A2」は、バランス、アンバランスとも十分な性能を備えていたこと、長年検討して使い慣れていたこと、消費電力、そしてやはり聴き比べて音質の観点からもこのモデルにぴったりだったので、このICを選択しました。

They had looked at implementing a fully discrete amp stage, but from their own long hands on experience in sound tuning the TI chip and getting the desired sound signature they want as well as taking into consideration of power consumption, they opted for the chip.
That is still dodging it man. We all know that the Z1 can be even better if they had utilized a discrete amplification stage. Yes, they are experienced at tuning a ready made chip but that's still a shortchanging it tor me. 1200 mw per channel is less than even the TA-ZH1ES output rating. Everything else sounds impressive to me though. Search around web for a mini Dynalo and that thing already kick the TA-ZH1ES in the butt.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #512 of 4,314
That is still dodging it man. We all know that the Z1 can be even better if they had utilized a discrete amplification stage. Yes, they are experienced at tuning a ready made chip but that's still a shortchanging it tor me. 1200 mw per channel is less than even the TA-ZH1ES output rating. Everything else sounds impressive to me though. Search around web for a mini Dynalo and that thing already kick the TA-ZH1ES in the butt.

They are not dodging, as he said it's a balance between their knowledge of the chip, tuning it to achieve the desired sound signature as well as power consumption. In the beginning of the interview they also said since the TA amp is AC based so it's different set of criterias as the Z1 is designed to be battery driven.

I get you don't like their decisions, but that doesn't make them dodging the questions.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #513 of 4,314
They are not dodging, as he said it's a balance between their knowledge of the chip, tuning it to achieve the desired sound signature as well as power consumption. In the beginning of the interview they also said since the TA amp is AC based so it's different set of criterias as the Z1 is designed to be battery driven.

I get you don't like their decisions, but that doesn't make them dodging the questions.

You are corrected here. They made the choice to go with the TPA chip due to size and battery limitations. There is no such thing as a Class A discrete headphones circuit which consume less power. So they are still sacrificing audio performance to make this thing transportable.

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #514 of 4,314
You are corrected here. They made the choice to go with the TPA chip due to size and battery limitations. There is no such thing as a Class A discrete headphones circuit which consume less power. So they are still sacrificing audio performance to make this thing transportable.
Which shall not happen at $8000 price tag, we just circled back to my previous posts lol

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #517 of 4,314
WM port is actually more desirable than Type C if you look at it as the purposes for audio performances.

WM ports allow better size of pins connectors, thicker, bigger, larger space in between Each pin. WM ports also is 1 side plug, that means there is no extra components and circuitry to switch the gates when reverse plugging like the Type C. WM port can be transporting Data at higher speed, it is all upto Sony DSP. WM port can also have analog line out if Sony wants it to.

Type C is more trendy and universal for sure, also more convenient but WM port is not to be looked down upon either. For pure audio purposes, WM port is desirable

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #518 of 4,314
Spoke to a friend of mine who tried the DMP-Z1 extensively in Hong Kong. He said it is the best battery powered all in one unit he has ever tried. The sound is natural, effortless and it will in future will be one of those products Sony fan will look at and hunt for. However he was concerned with long term serviceability. Like me, he also believes such products should come with a lifetime warranty. Anything with battery, will sooner than latter will require a maintenance, at this stage there is no transparency on what are the after sales services, and fees will be like.

In regards of not having an RCA out, he told me using a 3.5mm to rca out worked as good as HUGO RCA to his portable DIY AMP. Naturally there was a different in tonality, but it was to DMP advantage.

Also someone told him, the DMP is a new series in Sony's line, just like the WM. There is more to come from that family.

PS: He tried the Z1R, he did not like it, he found M9 much more balance and fitwise much better suited to ears. Paired with Z1, M9 scaled more than Z1R. He is VE8 user, which I happened to dislike, so yea, YMMV.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #519 of 4,314
So ier-Z1R is not as good as M9 ? No doubt about the fit that M9 wins easily. But performances ? That is disappointing.

Battery though, could it be user replaceable ?

But also at the price tag, you can have a Stax SRM D10 and SR009S with something like SP1000 or WM1Z as a source :D, and that still only accounts upto 8-9k, where as DMP-Z1 still need a Headphones

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #520 of 4,314
So ier-Z1R is not as good as M9 ? No doubt about the fit that M9 wins easily. But performances ? That is disappointing.

But also at the price tag, you can have a Stax SRM D10 and SR009S with something like SP1000 or WM1Z as a source :D, and that still only accounts upto 8-9k, where as DMP-Z1 still need a Headphones
Locally those parts will be more than dmp 1Z.

I think he has an issue with the z1r tuning whereas M9 is more balance, able to show the potential of 1Z.

He also loved the new Z7, and found it superior than MDR z1r.

You never know , Sony might come up with a way to control and navigate your DMP z1 using your Walkman or phone. As is I don’t think looking at such a tiny scree is easy.

The battery is user replaceable but where to source it from? It is a Sony’s own design.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #521 of 4,314
Spoke to a friend of mine who tried the DMP-Z1 extensively in Hong Kong. He said it is the best battery powered all in one unit he has ever tried. The sound is natural, effortless and it will in future will be one of those products Sony fan will look at and hunt for. However he was concerned with long term serviceability. Like me, he also believes such products should come with a lifetime warranty. Anything with battery, will sooner than latter will require a maintenance, at this stage there is no transparency on what are the after sales services, and fees will be like.

In regards of not having an RCA out, he told me using a 3.5mm to rca out worked as good as HUGO RCA to his portable DIY AMP. Naturally there was a different in tonality, but it was to DMP advantage.

Also someone told him, the DMP is a new series in Sony's line, just like the WM. There is more to come from that family.

PS: He tried the Z1R, he did not like it, he found M9 much more balance and fitwise much better suited to ears. Paired with Z1, M9 scaled more than Z1R. He is VE8 user, which I happened to dislike, so yea, YMMV.

Mm...battery health/cycle count is a non-issue to me. It will take many, many years before the batteries become useless. Right now, the DMP Z1 specs says 8 to 10 hours battery life with 100% battery health. That is long enough for a transcontinental flight. Assuming that battery health deteriorates to 80% of capacity, that is still 6 to 8 hours of battery life, good enough for regional flights and then some. Who listens for 8 hours straight , even at home? My first Astell & Kern is the AK 240. Battery life is about 4 hours, after nearly 5 years of usage. Still more than good enough for on the go listening.

As for battery reliability and durability, I have full confidence in Sony that the batteries on the DMPZ1 will outlast anything in the market.

But I agree with your friend. Lifetime warranty is deserved considering the high asking price.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #522 of 4,314

Mm...yes but the DMP Z1 is much more useable. It can pair (and competently drive) just about any headphones on the planet. During my 3 hour audition, I plugged in the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic T1. At 2:30 on the volume pot, normal listening volume was achieved and the sound output was acceptable (not thin-sounding at all). I love electrostats (SR 009 and HE 1) but I also love dynamic and planer magnetics.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #523 of 4,314
Idk, but IMO, once you driven a good Stax out of a good system including Amp and Source and Cables...etc...nothing can surpass it. That is why I hold Stax in very high regard. Can’t speak for He-1, but it is still ES, and are you sure you are squeezing out every nuances from He-1 ?

The most important thing in a digital domain is Clocks (precision’s, accuracy, Dynamic range, and Lower noise floor, temperature co-efficiency) up-stream and down-stream, if given that output stage and power supply are well implemented. For people who don’t DIY, it is great to snatch up MSB Select DAC and perceive a world of differences which ES will hugely benefit. They may be expensive, but their technologies are real

The limitations of a good Electro-stat is the other components, such as Amplifier, DAC, Source, Files, Interconnect...etc...

This is the reason why I see a whole ocean of fishes isn’t going to satisfy my inner beast as much as 1 single Stax out of good system. Hence I called out D10 and 009 will be a much better purchase, all in 1 solution. The DMP Z1 though, is excellent for people who love hoarding all other dynamic headphones and enjoy them all

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #524 of 4,314
Locally those parts will be more than dmp 1Z.

I think he has an issue with the z1r tuning whereas M9 is more balance, able to show the potential of 1Z.

He also loved the new Z7, and found it superior than MDR z1r.

You never know , Sony might come up with a way to control and navigate your DMP z1 using your Walkman or phone. As is I don’t think looking at such a tiny scree is easy.

The battery is user replaceable but where to source it from? It is a Sony’s own design.

Is it really user replaceable battery ? The thing look like a Pain to take apart ? And then where to get those battery too...lol. However, seeing how the R10 in good condition can fetch nowadays, and extincted parts for replacement, it is no surprise that Sony is attempting it once more with DMP-Z1. Who knows ? Perhap the ordinary TPA and RK501 are not so ordinary in the hands of Sony, just like Japanese Wood and closed back ordinary design which were taken into legendary status like R10

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #525 of 4,314
Mm...the tiny screen is not an ergonomics nightmare. It was meant to be used wherever you want to be seated. In fact, I would not advice it to be used on a desk. Why would you? You can lie in bed and use it. You can sit on a couch or your favorite recliner or sit by your verandah and enjoy it.

I love my 009 for certain musical genres (mostly classical and female audiophile voices) but not for all musical genres. My taste in music is eclectic and that is why I have a good number of headphones that I keep around so I can mix and match equipment depending on the music or track or album or genre that I am playing/listeing to.In other words, I want to experience the full range of what is possible in this hobby.

Have you tried listening to rap music or EDM or death metal on the 009?

I don’t hoard headphones for hoarding’s sake. I listen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back