Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #496 of 4,314
Mm...different folks, different strokes. I do take out, on a regular basis, my AK 380 cu plus cu amp, in-ear (Zeus XIV or Tia Fourte or ____), Chord Hugo 2 (in lieu of the cu amp), a headphone (current favorite HD 820), plus 1 or 2 headphone and in-ear cable. Total: about usd10k plus minus. Carrier: Backpack.

I purchased those so I can use them when and where I want. What’s the point if you have good quality gear and keep it at home? It will just gather dust.

It is just a bunch of things, meant to be used.

I do miss my iPod Classic. Unrepairable.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #497 of 4,314
Considering in Japan, men already carry around bag and purses. It makes sense to have own DMP-Z1 and carry it inside the pocket.

To say that 1Z can drive most of in ears and headphones to it potentials, that is a little bit too biased based on the new product, new tech, new price. The TPA inside the 1Z merely have 1200mW per channel for a 16Ohms Load. It can not do DSD512, it can not act as a line out source. It is just a half way there kind of product.

Anyways, I look forward to your personal impressions next to your Dave and He-1

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #498 of 4,314
@raypin,

Different strokes for different folks indeed. You are a person of more means than some of us here, so you can easily justify the DMP-Z1 purchase. To many of us, the DMP-Z1 is overpriced hence most are complaining about the lack of features and wanting more. I have the 1Z and I don't go walk around with it due to that crazy price tag and the sheer weight. I also like to baby my stuff so a thought of dropping or scratching the DMP-Z1 while taking it out of the protective suitcase will preventing me to bring it to any where else beside from home to work. If the Z1 ever get down to $4 to $5K and I believe it will, I will probably buy it because I'm one of Sony's biggest fan. I still have plenty of doubts about the sound quality of the DMP however.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #499 of 4,314
Mm...sure. If you look at the Focal Utopia, it used to be 4k usd. Now, some retailers are selling it for 3k (I think it is part of a trade-in program). I paid the early adopter’s tax. Do I regret the decision? Heck no. I ve been enjoying the Utopia since launch (2016). Two year’s worth of enjoyment and worth every penny. Why? Time is gold.

Am I a person of extraordinary means? Not really. You should see how I dress. Lol!

Do audition the Z1 when the opportunity arises. Ignore the price tag and just enjoy it. Products like the Z1 are rare.

The weight is manageable. The typical laptop weighs 2.3 kgs. This thing is just 1.5 kgs. If you can carry a laptop...................Just chuck it in a backpack to carry. Take it out to enjoy Sony’s magic anywhere, anytime. So, why is the weight even an issue?

Life is too short. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #500 of 4,314
I enjoy your posts @ raypin and you are entitled to all of your enjoyment from those fine gears. Just understand some of us can only dream about Z1 and have different priority. I can afford it, just definitely not my priority right now. I hope time is still on your and my side :). My transportable rig now is the Wm1Z into SRM-D10 and SR009 and immensely satisfied. Thought about getting the Stax to HE90 adapter so I can use it with my D10, but decided not too due to the fragile nature of the HE90.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #501 of 4,314
if I could afford a WM1Z or DMPZ1 I wouldn’t be taking it out the house because I’d be worried about damaging it or there are people willing to murder someone just to steal that type of item and sell it where I live. But if I was in the top 3% like raypin and isquirrel I’d and get the worlds most expensive headphones systems as well. Like he says life is short enjoy it to the fullest and if you are fortunate enough have the money to live it that way then do so.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #502 of 4,314
if I could afford a WM1Z or DMPZ1 I wouldn’t be taking it out the house because I’d be worried about damaging it or there are people willing to murder someone just to steal that type of item and sell it where I live. But if I was in the top 3% like raypin and isquirrel I’d and get the worlds most expensive headphones systems as well. Like he says life is short enjoy it to the fullest and if you are fortunate enough have the money to live it that way then do so.

Definitely agreed, even though there are differences between some people who can afford stuff, and the people who can toss money in your face. :)

The DMP-Z1 is definitely the one that was made for the later kind of folks :wink:

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #505 of 4,314
Nov 2, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #507 of 4,314
DMP-Z1 - Engineer Interview

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/181101/

Featuring:

Mitsunori Tanaka Product planning
Tomoaki Sato Design project leader
Yoshihiro Matsuzaki Electricity and sound quality design
Hiroaki Sato Sound quality design leader

dwXEF8G.jpg

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #508 of 4,314
DMP-Z1 - Engineer Interview

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/181101/

Featuring:

Mitsunori Tanaka Product planning
Tomoaki Sato Design project leader
Yoshihiro Matsuzaki Electricity and sound quality design
Hiroaki Sato Sound quality design leader

dwXEF8G.jpg

I totally agreed about Powersupply being a very important element. Virtually, every engineers, and enthusiasts would agree.

Yes, Ground would affect the sound quality ! Surely enough, and I understand that the Body of RK51 is customized to incorporate OFC goldplated body instead of brass as it typical RK50 do. I can’t say enough about how impressive Sony would have pulled this off. Anyways, AKM DAC is chosen because of the power consumption which is lower than ESS Sabre’s ES9038Pro. I know you want to convince people that AKM sound better, but the reality is power requirements. Ofcourse, there are people who prefer AKM Velvet signature rather than Sabre’s.

I am in awe that you don’t mention about the use of PET capacitors and Fine sound Resistor throughout of the devices. In fact, I think that this is the Most unique thing about Sony Z1, the ability to custom order different components to Sony specifications which is not existed for the mass market, case in point is RK51 as mentioned. The newly developed PET capacitors s known to be excellent for sound quality because it is not subjected to Piezoelectric effects (vibrations and oscilliations that self generate Jitters and inaccuracy), the problems that plagues many other devices that use Tantalum and SMD.

Yes, it was marvelous to learn that Battery is developed by Sony, and the design that universally and intelligently switching power sources as mentioned, and that you did catered about Noises, Noises and again...Noises: it could take the stock Wallwart, or an external Linear Power Supply, or completely relying on battery. At this specific dimensions, and to last 9 hours on battery is marvelous. But 4 hours charging to full isn’t anything impressive.

Now, the only 1 thing that I am disappointed is that there are no mentions about Oscilliators. Yes, you did mentioned about an all in one device that cut down so many other components in the chains such as a PC, Cables...etc....But, you skipped the most important things in Digital music reproductions clock oscilliators precision and it noises. This is like dodging the bullets here, and then the next Bullet that you also dodged is the uses of intergrated TPA Headphones amplification chip. I would say that every engineers and enthusiast would agree that discrete components and built Amplification stages for headphones amps would be just as important as a good power supply.

Yes, maybe Sony need an excuse to improve in the next iteration of their Walkman, or Flagship signatures. However, at the price point of $8,000, the excuses should not be from the designs, or device capabilities. That means the clock oscilliators have to be at it most highest precision in the industry, and the discrete design of the amplification stages should also be the industry highest. In fact, at this price point, the only excuse you can rely on is innovations and creativities, but not technical capabilities and designs.

Ok, I am done ranting.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #509 of 4,314
and then the next Bullet that you also dodged is the uses of intergrated TPA Headphones amplification chip. I would say that every engineers and enthusiast would agree that discrete components and built Amplification stages for headphones amps would be just as important as a good power supply.

They didn't dodge it - he said why in the interview.

佐藤(浩):アナログアンプにはテキサス・インスツルメンツの「TPA6120A2」を採用しています。アナログアンプを検討していた時に、このほかにもディスクリートやマイナス電源を内蔵したアンプなど、いろいろな方式・デバイスのアンプの採用を検討しましたが、「TPA6120A2」は、バランス、アンバランスとも十分な性能を備えていたこと、長年検討して使い慣れていたこと、消費電力、そしてやはり聴き比べて音質の観点からもこのモデルにぴったりだったので、このICを選択しました。

They had looked at implementing a fully discrete amp stage, but from their own long hands on experience in sound tuning the TI chip and getting the desired sound signature they want as well as taking into consideration of power consumption, they opted for the chip.

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #510 of 4,314
They didn't dodge it - he said why in the interview.

佐藤(浩):アナログアンプにはテキサス・インスツルメンツの「TPA6120A2」を採用しています。アナログアンプを検討していた時に、このほかにもディスクリートやマイナス電源を内蔵したアンプなど、いろいろな方式・デバイスのアンプの採用を検討しましたが、「TPA6120A2」は、バランス、アンバランスとも十分な性能を備えていたこと、長年検討して使い慣れていたこと、消費電力、そしてやはり聴き比べて音質の観点からもこのモデルにぴったりだったので、このICを選択しました。

They had looked at implementing a fully discrete amp stage, but from their own long hands on experience in sound tuning the TI chip and getting the desired sound signature they want as well as taking into consideration of power consumption, they opted for the chip.

Yeah, you know what I meant when I said that they dodged the bullet from the point of view of a flagship at the given price point with all other things meticulously catered and accounted for. Power consumptions from the DAC to the amplification stages....while previously impressed upon how they have achieved something in this department ?

Sure, a move no one have pulled off. But it doesn’t mean that they had gone all out into an $8,000 device. They could have gone all in, make it bigger (heck even 2” larger in all dimensions could have done so), with beefier battery, more spaces for better amplifications, and better catering about clock oscilliators, the heart of the digital music domains. But no, it is an excuse to restrict it down, to improve upon the next release. Just like I mentioned, the excuse should only be creativity and innovations, rather than the device technicality

While this Sony may sound and look somewhat like the Sony that we all used to love....it is just actually as much day and night different than the Sony that we used to love and looked upto...it is now more about how expensive and how many of those they can get moving rather than enthusiasm....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back