Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #466 of 4,316
@raypin
Looking forward to hear your impression man. We may disagree on the price aspect of it but I am curious as always on sound.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #469 of 4,316
Mm...According to the dealer, the tentative means it is a demo unit. My take is since this is a Japanese product, something got lost in translation. Probably just an oversight. I hope the demo unit is not tentative, meaning a pre-production unit

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #472 of 4,316
@jasonho

safe_image.php

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #473 of 4,316
Mm...listened and auditioned the DMP Z1 for a little over 3 hours straight (or from 72% battery life to 30%). These are my initial impressions re: sound:

1. It easily destroyed my A&K 380 cu and the dealer’s demo A&Ultimate SP 1000 M specially with headphones.

2. The performance in driving headphones is tantalizingly close to the Chord DAVE. It is that good. Unfortunately, I did not bring my DAVE to do a proper a/b but I know what the DAVE is capable of doing.

3. The sound is extremely and transparently clear. It easily resolves complex passages. I would describe the sound as reference quality. No nasty surprises. But the greatest strength of this DAP/DAC/Headphone amplifier is its ability to connect you to your music. Instrument separation is good to excellent (sorry but not up to the level of my HE1).

4. The bass is yummy. Layered, clear and punchy.

Headphones used: Focal Utopia (single-ended), Sennheiser HD 820 (single-ended), Beyerdynamic T1 first-gen (single-ended) and the Sony Z1R (balanced, 4.4 mm). Stellar performance out of the Focal and the Z1R (unsurprisingly since both are Sony products).

In-ears used: 64 TIA Fourte, Noble Katana, Empire Ears Legend X, JHA Layla 1.

The in-ears scaled well but not to the extent of the headphones. Balanced output is superior to single-ended (better dynamic range) so any prospective owner are advised to terminate headphone with the 4.4 mm. to maximize performance out of the DMP Z1.

About the UI, it was blazingly fast and easy to navigate. As an owner of the WM1A DAP, the UI is extremely familiar. It took me 1 minute to master it. Very responsive/nearly zero lag. Curious operation: when you switch power source from the menu (from AC to DC), the DMP displays a message for you to dial down the gorgeous golden knob to zero (mandatory). Same with engaging the DSEE DSP. Safety feature? Knob begins at the 8 o’clock position and terminates at the 5 o’clock position. The Utopia was at 12, Z1R at 10 (because it was balanced 4.4 mm), the Beyer T1 at 2:30, the HD 820 at 1:00 (these settings = my normal listening volume).

I asked the dealer if I should try the Susvara. He laughed hard, so I nixed the idea. Not enough power out of the DMP. Instead, I tried the Susvara on another system. What! I was floored by what I heard. Simply amazing sound output. 6K worth? Have to listen to it more.

Is the DMP Z1 a worthy, TOTL reference-class desktop machine? Yes. Very much yes. Is the DMP Z1 a viable on-the-go TOTL machine? Yes but you need a backpack to carry it around. For me, sure, it is viable.

For me, it is the best “DAP” right now, much closer to totl desktop machines, with an undeniable advantage: you can bring it anywhere.

About the price? It is very pricey but if you consider the amount of equipment that it can replace (separate DAP/separate DAC, separate headphone amp, power conditioners, power cables, etc.), the price is not that bad.

Audition is highly recommended...and then decide if you are willing to invest the big bucks.

Will I be buying? What do you think? Lol!

P.S. I missed the Chord TT2 by a day. It was snapped up by a buyer. Would have been an interesting comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #474 of 4,316
Thanks for the impression, and no...DMP-Z1 is not a DAP, ofcourse it would wreck the ak380. You should just compare it to Chord TT, or did it / should it really wreck your DAVE ? If it does wreck the DAVE, then it is a good buy.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #475 of 4,316
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #477 of 4,316
It is not portable, so it is not a DAP. It is a DMP (Digital Media Player), that is Transportable and clarified by Sony Engineers to be Carriable

A DAP would be WM-1Z or AK380

Still, it does have a digital player inside so it's not like it's JUST a DAC as you imply.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #478 of 4,316
Still, it does have a digital player inside so it's not like it's JUST a DAC as you imply.
I never said it is just a DAC. I meant it is more than a DAP, so ofcourse it would wreck a DAP. It is no comparison as there is 0 ways to fit in RK50 inside a DAP, let alone other components. If you want to make it fair, compare it to something of it caliber and level, Hugo TT2 and AK380 / sp1000 for example...similar purposes, technology and price point.

To say DMP-Z1 is wrecking AK380 is heavily underestimating the DMP-Z1...heck, WM1Z shall be waged against SP1000 and not AK380

Comparing DMP1Z to AK380 is like Comparing an IPhone to AK380, kind of comparison. Totally different purposes, performances, tiers, technology ...etc..

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #479 of 4,316
I never said it is just a DAC. I meant it is more than a DAP, so ofcourse it would wreck a DAP. It is no comparison as there is 0 ways to fit in RK50 inside a DAP, let alone other components. If you want to make it fair, compare it to something of it caliber and level, Hugo TT2 and AK380 / sp1000 for example...similar purposes, technology and price point.

To say DMP-Z1 is wrecking AK380 is heavily underestimating the DMP-Z1...heck, WM1Z shall be waged against SP1000 and not AK380

Comparing DMP1Z to AK380 is like Comparing an IPhone to AK380, kind of comparison. Totally different purposes, performances, tiers, technology ...etc..

I see. I do wonder how the DAC section compares to Chord DACs.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #480 of 4,316
I see. I do wonder how the DAC section compares to Chord DACs.
Sadly you will not be able to do that. Sony should have placed a line level out to be used as a DAC but they decided not to. A single female 4.4 TRRRS jack is all it take including wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back