Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #451 of 4,314
Mmm..finally, a DMP Z1 out in the wild. Looking forward to your impressions! So, we can finally end discussions of topology and reminiscenses of the good ol’ days of Sony and terminate debates about prices (yes, everyone knows that it is sky-high)....and focus on the most important aspect: sound.

To paraphrase the Bill Clinton election battle cry.....it’s the sound, stupid!

Obviously that it is all about, hence why we are all chasing that magical unicorn...

Speaking of going semi-transportable with highend gears, I can accomplish the same with a whole lot less bling and style. I now use ZX300 as a digital transport feeding the SRM-D10 to power the Stax SR009 and run the headphones output from my Sony NW-WM1Z into my SuSy Dynalo Mini and power the HD800. With a really good pure sine wave Li-on power generator, it is now possible to operate a really good dynamic amplifier off from external battery pack with an excellent result. Not going to impress any hotties obviously...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #452 of 4,314
Mm...in my country just arrived, demo unit. Scheduling audition wth the best in-ears and headphones in my collection (and the dealer’s). So happy right now.

BB8B9315-FA46-4B7C-99CC-262DFF7DFFFF.jpeg

Will spend several hours pairing this with the HD 820, RE 2000, 64 Tia Fourte, Noble Katana, Zeus XIV ciem, Asen 8 ciem, Focal Utopia, HE 1000 v.2, ...and, just for the heck of it, the Susvara.

The dealer also has the Chord TT2 and M Scaler on hand.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #453 of 4,314
Obviously that it is all about, hence why we are all chasing that magical unicorn...

Speaking of going semi-transportable with highend gears, I can accomplish the same with a whole lot less bling and style. I now use ZX300 as a digital transport feeding the SRM-D10 to power the Stax SR009 and run the headphones output from my Sony NW-WM1Z into my SuSy Dynalo Mini and power the HD800. With a really good pure sine wave Li-on power generator, it is now possible to operate a really good dynamic amplifier off from external battery pack with an excellent result. Not going to impress any hotties obviously...

Which cable are you using from the 1Z out to the Dynalo? Running single ended or balanced out from the Z? terminated in RCA's into the Dynalo I assume?
Have you tried the 1Z out to the SRM-D10? Same cable as above?

Curious to know how the SRM-D10 compares to the 353?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #456 of 4,314
Confirmed to work very well with TA-ZH1es DAC/amp and it sounds amazing.

I don't think the asking price of DMP-Z1 is out of line when you do the math on separates. A good quality DAC would cost $2K, another $2K for an amp + $2K for a good computer + $1k+ for cables to connect them all. That is almost the price of DMP-Z1.

I love the one box all-in-one solution of DMP. Because of that, the designer has total control over what comes out of the outputs to achieve the desired sound and it's ALL ABOUT the SOUND.

I can hear the sarcasm hidden in the honest support there~ but well still agree. It's a niche product that'd sell in veeeery low quantity, just let the ones that likes it buy it.
Must say tho, that packaging is real nice for a big DAP, Tho why does it says "Tentative" on the box there?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #457 of 4,314
@raypin I am really looking forward reading your listening impressions, expecially your comparaison with your existing desktop Source/DAC.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #459 of 4,314
@raypin i find it amusing that you’re really happy about trying out the DMPZ1 even though you have Sennheiser HE1 + chord Dave , blu 2.

Mm.....it is part of my plan. I did post in another thread that I am questing for the ultimate in-ear system, the “HE 1” of the in-ear world. I am done with headphones. It is in-ears that I am focused at. The DMP is a worthy source to consider, with the in-ear coming next.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #462 of 4,314
I like the old ES days in the late 80's and early 90's. Superbly highly engineer products for a good price. They really pushed the enveloped back in the day. Now they are just pushing the price envelope. Well the Z1 is to me anyway.
Edit: I read on after posting and it seems a couple people already mentioned what I want to say, so anyone can just skip reading whats below this. (I'm glad price debate is stopping)

"Again, the DMP-Z1 is a Walkman model, not of the ES (Elevated Standard) Sony of old, that line's newest is still the TA-ZH1ES, which is the line's very first dedicated headphone dac/ amp. Really I don't think you should look at the DMP-Z1 with that spectacle permanently in front of your eyes.

This DMP-Z1 is an anomaly made by the Walkman team, taking the out of the norm, "no cost" approach they did for the WM1Z and explode it even more to include the "no weight and size limit" to create the best sounding transportable player they can.

Well, at least that's how I see it. Japanese can be veery weirdly specific on the nerdiest of things."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #463 of 4,314
Mm...in my country just arrived, demo unit. Scheduling audition wth the best in-ears and headphones in my collection (and the dealer’s). So happy right now.

Will spend several hours pairing this with the HD 820, RE 2000, 64 Tia Fourte, Noble Katana, Zeus XIV ciem, Asen 8 ciem, Focal Utopia, HE 1000 v.2, ...and, just for the heck of it, the Susvara.

The dealer also has the Chord TT2 and M Scaler on hand.
Very interested as I'm caught between this and TT2 + MScaler - which way to go??

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #464 of 4,314
82DDE318-5390-4E6F-B728-C86AF3CB8ADF.jpeg
Mm...yup. Will post. I haven’t been this excited since I took delivery of my HE 1.

Re: not sure about the Tentative marking on the box. Will ask.

Final Packaging contains dolly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back